Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Many Steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, Just set up my new Ionic and noticed when I woke up this morning it said I did over 37000 steps while I slept, t]I was not wearing it and it was sitting on my bedside table, any ideas what to do, is it faulty?

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

Hi, @gno777, was it sitting next to a fan or some other vibration source?  That's the usual reason to explain what you have reported.

If you are not wearing your Fitbit make sure it is kept well away from fans, humidifiers, washing machines, tumble dryers, etc -- even resting on a computer CPU.  Vibrations transmitted to the Fitbit can be interpreted as steps.

Welcome to the forums!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Julia,

I did have it sitting next to a bluetooth speaker that I have playing beach sounds while I sleep, could this be an issue, my wife has a Ionic also next to her bedside table ant that was unaffected.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine was counting fine before the firmware update. Now, it is giving me tons of steps while sitting at my desk. Yesterday, scored 10 000 steps for a day at the office, mainly at my desk.

It is giving me free  floors too. I look way better on my Fitbit report than in reality.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had it charging overnight and ok, no steps recorded, removed charger and within minutes 5000 steps recorded, fitbit just sitting on the table. Have to turn it off when not on my wrist, surely fitbit must take this seriously, just want to know if it is faulty, not impressed if its inaccurate with countin steps 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I sure hope that Fitbit is going to do something about it so that we stay with Ionic as opposed to moving to another brand of smartwatch and fitness tracker. I had chosen Fitbit based on the fact that fitness is their core business, therefore I really expect the readings to be representative.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I agree, this watch is pointless if you can't trust the data, i have returned mine for a replacement, will respond if it does the same thing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You see, I was active this morning and Ionic stats are on the money. My steps and distance are aligned and representative of my day so far.

It seems to be the quiet moments that are not well accounted for. I will continue monitoring the situation and report.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gno777 wrote:

Thanks Julia,

I did have it sitting next to a bluetooth speaker that I have playing beach sounds while I sleep, could this be an issue, my wife has a Ionic also next to her bedside table ant that was unaffected.

It may be, because the speaker is probably vibrating ever so slightly when it's being used.  You could try moving the Ionic to the same surface that your wife has hers on to see if you get steps.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Made no difference unfortunately, I returned the watch and got a replacement, seems to be much better only had 400 phantom steps this morning and had it sitting in a different position next to my Wife's, hers had 0 phantom steps, i did purchase hers a month before mine, maybe there's a bad batch? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try keeping it on at all times. This was one of the reasons why I waited for Fitbit to release a waterproof watch. The only time I take it off is for charging it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My watch has been behaving correctly for the past three days. We'll see tomorrow at the office if it gets back to bad behavior. Maybe I should quit working!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Worked just fine today, so I am now thinking that the firmware update was responsible for the miscalculations. Happy that things are getting in line.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Happy to say mine is working fine now, the replacement appears to be accurate and no or very little phantom steps, also quite impressed with battery life, three days without charging and am at 55%.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Happy for you bud!

Regarding the battery life, it is very good and will be function of Bluetooth usage. It will also affect you phone if you keep it on at all times.

I really like my watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having this problem also.  Woke up this morning, picked up my Ionic off of my desk, and I had 10k steps already. I had it charging off my desktop computer; no fans or anything that would cause vibrations.  Following this thread.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fortunately, mine has not misbehaved ever since.

Best Answer
0 Votes