Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking surfing and kitesurfing

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Will there be an app for tracking surfing like the rip curl watch?, and one for kitesurfing On the ionic watch?.

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Somewhat tongue in cheek, sometime this side of never. Given the Ionic isn’t waterproof rated for those activities, I doubt it will happen on the Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is it not 50m water resistant?, like the su unto ambit. I presently using it for kiting but cannot use it for surfing.

Best Answer

@Kitesurfing wrote:

Is it not 50m water resistant?, like the su unto ambit. I presently using it for kiting but cannot use it for surfing.

Yes it is 50m water resistant but that doesn’t include water sports (which I think requires a 10atm water resistance) and Fitbit only say suitable for swimming.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That doesn't make any sense though. Wearing the watch while swimming the front stroke involves repeatedly and forcefully plunging it into water for an hour straight. (though rarely with any significant depth)

Meanwhile, wearing it while windsurfing means it gets a bit of spray on it, and now and then depending on how often you fall, it gets plunged into the surf.

It's implausible that any device that can survive swimming would have a problem with surviving windsurfing. Okay, there's higher speed, but there's also a whole lot less plunging.

Best Answer

Right! Swimming puts the watch "in the water" much more than surfing. When we're actually surfing or waiting for waves the watch is "out of the water". It's only when we're paddling that the watch gets submerged so it's all good. I've been surfing with mine for months.

So back to the question, is there (or will there) be apps to track surfing, kitesurfing or snowboarding? It's a sport watch so how about some sport tracking? The Apple watch has killer apps. What about us?

Best Answer

FWIW, I wear my Ionic kitesurfing all the time and it's never had a problem... 

Would be nice to track this kind of activity though.  Now it thinks I'm getting lots of steps.. lol.

Best Answer