Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off All Day Sync & Always Connected by default

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

On the Fitbit app under the Ionic device I suggest you turn off all day sync and always connected.

Why you would want this on?

I can only think of 4 reasons:

1) You have some permanent on screen display you always watch.

2) You look at your Fitbit app every 3 minutes.

3) You love wasting the battery of your phone or your watch.

4) You would rather see your batteries run down then wait 10 seconds or so for a manual sync.

A) For some android phones if you don't turn them off it will not sync correctly.

B) And btw notifications have nothing to do with this, they work just fine/are instant.

I've been saying this over and over again on other threads with some success so I thought it's worthy of it's own thread.

People seem to think they are missing out if they aren't on for some reason. I really can't see what it is.

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

I have always kept my all day sync off.

Some people don't understand that when you open the app it begins to sync anyway. I only open the app a few times during the day and it syncs just fine

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I leave all day sync on. Reason being, my fitbit account is linked with myfitnesspal. With all day sync on the data is passed to mfp constantly during the day and my remaining calories are accurate when I open the mfp app. I very rarely open the fitbit app, usually only to check challenges, so turning this off would mean I would have to open the fitbit app every time before opening the mfp app. So an extra step for me. I'm not sure what the drain on my batteries are, but my phone lasts a whole day on a single charge and my fitbit lasts around 5 on a charge.

However, I do turn off always connected. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Every one is different. That's what makes It awesome!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Likewise @N8teGee, though I also have links with Training Peaks and Strava. Best (for me) to keep it all up to date, and to be fair, I’ve not noticed a hit on battery life turning on All Day Sync.

That said, I have seen some Android phones work better with the Ionic (and to be fair, the Blaze) with ADS turned off.

Best Answer

@N8teGee wrote:

I leave all day sync on. Reason being, my fitbit account is linked with myfitnesspal. With all day sync on the data is passed to mfp constantly during the day and my remaining calories are accurate when I open the mfp app. I very rarely open the fitbit app, usually only to check challenges, so turning this off would mean I would have to open the fitbit app every time before opening the mfp app. So an extra step for me. I'm not sure what the drain on my batteries are, but my phone lasts a whole day on a single charge and my fitbit lasts around 5 on a charge.

However, I do turn off always connected. 

Apparently MyFitnessPal does force syncs:

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1427466-what-if-data-doesn-t-appear-to-be-syn...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

and to be fair, I’ve not noticed a hit on battery life turning on All Day Sync.

How would you know if there was a hit on battery life if you've never turned it off? I think it is likely these apps will force a sync with Fitbit. Certainly MyFitnessPal does.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It forces a sync between the myfitnesspal servers and the Fitbit servers when you open the myfitnesspal app, it doesn't force a sync between your fitbit device and the Fitbit server though, only the fitbit app is able to do that (manually or automatically through all day sync).

For example if the last sync of my device and the Fitbit app is 5000 steps, myfitnesspal will only be able to pull that data from the fitbit server, even if I've done another 20,000 steps since then. So if I never open and sync the fitbit app, myfitnesspal is only getting the data up to my last sync. All day sync solves this as it syncs fresh data every 15min and saves me from having to keep opening the fitbit app to sync the data from my device to fitbits servers.

In terms of battery, my phone reports the fitbit app as using 95mah 2% since coming off the charger at 05:00 this morning. This usage includes me opening the app to accept and check challenges as well as all day sync. My Ionic has been off of the charger since 04:00 this morning and has 97% battery remaining 

I've not tested it without all day sync, but I haven't any battery concerns with my particular set up. I guess it could vary with other phones though. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

We should not have to turn off all day sync to fix an issue with Ionic on Fitbits side. While I understand the reasoning and benefits that you find behind turning it off there should not be a need to.  This does not fix my issue and I am using the same phone (well I have the XL) and OS as you @SunsetRunner.  I still randomly loose sync as notifications stop coming through and when I do go to sync sometimes the app does not find my Ionic - even with all day sync and always connected turned off.

I have mentioned this in other posts, but I am still a big Fitbit fan and hope they can get this figured out.

Best Answer

@jrobbins wrote:

We should not have to turn off all day sync to fix an issue with Ionic on Fitbits side. While I understand the reasoning and benefits that you find behind turning it off there should not be a need to.  This does not fix my issue and I am using the same phone (well I have the XL) and OS as you @SunsetRunner.  I still randomly loose sync as notifications stop coming through and when I do go to sync sometimes the app does not find my Ionic - even with all day sync turned off.

I have mentioned this in other posts, but I am still a big Fitbit fan and hope they can get this figured out.

I'm not here to argue what should or should not happen, I'm just stating why it should be off and you should see (A) in the opening post you will notice I am pointing to a bug (which esp effects Pixels).

As you underlined a point and have decided to use italics for some reason, I shall underline something you missed just for fun.

Have you not turned off always connected?

You need to turn both off

Another thing to note is when the app updates via the play store often these settings get reset (another bug).

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

As you underlined a point and have decided to use italics for some reason, I shall underline something you missed just for fun.

Thanks for pointing that out I didn't realize I left one off  - original reply updated to include that both always connected and all day sync have been turned off. 

My point here though is that this 'fix' does not always fix the sync issue as even with both turned off the phone does not always find the Ionic and still requires futzing around to get it to sync.  I think it is great that it has worked for you, but even with my Pixel XL on 8.0 it does not fix the problem for me.  And the problem is pretty sporadic and I have yet been able to narrow it down to a specific cause.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jrobbins wrote:

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out I didn't realize I left one off  - original reply updated to include that both always connected and all day sync have been turned off. 

My point here though is that this 'fix' does not always fix the sync issue as even with both turned off the phone does not always find the Ionic and still requires futzing around to get it to sync.  I think it is great that it has worked for you, but even with my Pixel XL on 8.0 it does not fix the problem for me.  And the problem is pretty sporadic and I have yet been able to narrow it down to a specific cause.  

You've just said you've turned the other setting on. If you reboot your phone and the watch you might just find things will work out fine, being a Pixel user and what I've seen happen with other Pixel users I'm fairly (but not smugly) confident.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@SunsetRunner wrote:

and to be fair, I’ve not noticed a hit on battery life turning on All Day Sync.

How would you know if there was a hit on battery life if you've never turned it off? I think it is likely these apps will force a sync with Fitbit. Certainly MyFitnessPal does.

Never said never turned it off. In fact with my Blaze and S7 I did precisely that for the same reason. However, with my iPhone I don’t notice a hit on battery life with ADS, or gain without.

One of of the reasons I switched from S7 to iPhone was the need to constantly monitor what was sucking the most battery out of the S7. The iPhone was such a revelation with a battery that seemed to last forever, relatively speaking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had minor sync issues with the recent Fitbit app update (currently on version 2.60.1).  I have unchecked both buttons (all day sync and always connected).

What I had to do is force stop app in settings (android) to finally get it to sync again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow, so, I'm one of the folks that assumed having these switched on is better.

I've since been struggling with getting both the world clocks and stocks apps to update. They just wouldn't.

I did what you said, switched off both all-day sync as well as the constant connection and presto! suddenly they both work as I would've hoped!

Thanks for making the thread!

Best Answer

I turned both of them off after my battery died overnight, but the app then would not sync manually. I would attempt to force multiple syncs to go through, but the time on my Fitbit would not update (it was hours behind, for some reason) and the app would continue to report that the last sync happened a week ago. Anyone know why this is? I was finally able to fix the syncing issues, but only by re-adding my Blaze and going through the tedious setup process all over again, this time leaving on both Always Connected and All-Day Sync. I am afraid to turn them off again! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bassclgirl92 wrote:

I turned both of them off after my battery died overnight, but the app then would not sync manually. I would attempt to force multiple syncs to go through, but the time on my Fitbit would not update (it was hours behind, for some reason) and the app would continue to report that the last sync happened a week ago. Anyone know why this is? I was finally able to fix the syncing issues, but only by re-adding my Blaze and going through the tedious setup process all over again, this time leaving on both Always Connected and All-Day Sync. I am afraid to turn them off again! 

Firmware and app updates may have changed behaviour since the OP. Good luck with having "always connected" on. You will be visiting your chargers a lot more in future. Cheers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

With a Pixel as well updated to 8.1 I confirm the same. I have no problem at all with syncing my Ionic. Overall I am really satisfied.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been leaving both settings enabled, and this piece of junk hardly ever syncs.  It syncs maybe once after I restart the watch, but never after that, and I never see it connected in my bluetooth settings.  The Ionic has problems.  It's swim tracking sucks too.

I am using the Ionic with a brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 8, with very few apps on it aside from the FitBit app.

Best Answer

@multiverse wrote:

I have been leaving both settings enabled, and this piece of junk hardly ever syncs.  It syncs maybe once after I restart the watch, but never after that, and I never see it connected in my bluetooth settings.  The Ionic has problems.  It's swim tracking sucks too.

I am using the Ionic with a brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 8, with very few apps on it aside from the FitBit app.

Then you never read the opening post or the thread title

Best Answer