Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Fitbit Ionic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Good evening everyone! I'll get to the point of my concern. I need to update my firmware, but is it required to purchase a dangle to update my fitbit firmware. PLEASE HELP!!!

TonyNett24

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You should have received a USB charging cable.  It isn't used to connect the Ionic to the computer, just for charging.

Connections for the computer or cell phone are only done Wi-Fi and / or Bluetooth.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Use the dongle you got with the Ionic. No other option.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community @TonyNett24! Thanks for the details you've mentioned. I would recommend to perform the firmware update using your wireless connection, you can double check this post to learn how to update it

If you're using your computer to update it, you will need a Dongle but the process is even easier if you update it using your wireless connection. 

Hey @jhrain! Currently, Ionic doesn't come with a Dongle in the box.

Hope this helps! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are some things, such as firmware update that (afik) require the Ionic to be plugged in, that is charging.  The Charging cable you got with the Ionic is all you need. 

There is a USB Bluetooth adapter one can purchase for computers if you computer doesn't have new enough Bluetooth  to sync with the Ionic.

For some things, such as the Weather App, you need a Wi-Fi connection as well.  It doesn't, at least for me, sync at all w/o a Wi-Fi connection and seems to work better if I'm syncing to the computer rather than my cell phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for your tip!

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks Silvia!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I didn't receive a dongle with my Fitbit Ionic? Should I have??🤔

Best Answer
0 Votes

You should have received a USB charging cable.  It isn't used to connect the Ionic to the computer, just for charging.

Connections for the computer or cell phone are only done Wi-Fi and / or Bluetooth.

Best Answer

Thanks Sir!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I recently purchased an Ionic but have continued to keep the dongle from previous FB plugged in to my computer. After reading your post, I assume the dongle is no longer necessary. Is that correct?

@Jim-LaQuinta wrote:

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to have you on the Community @ALwoman. It's good to hear that you've been keeping your Dongle from previous Fitbit. 

If you're using a Mac or a Windows 8.1 computer you will need your Dongle because you'll be using Fitbit Connect. If you're using a Windows 10 device or a compatible device then you won't need the Dongle. You can learn more about it by checking this article: How do Fitbit devices sync their data?

Let me know how it goes. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes