Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

Same issue here. Got the email but the code provided does't work. Tried to contact support but they're useless. Really doubtful that I'll buy another Fitbit again, I hoped Google could fix their mess.

Best Answer

Hi, I have registered for the iconic recall and received my reference code but every time I go to verify my account it tells me the reference code cant be found. I have re registered 3 times and get the same error every time. Online chat is useless and nobody answers their helpline. Help!

Best Answer

I registered for the mastercard refund(Not Paypal) and they didnt ask me for my mastercard number to refund and it ended. I tried to msg through twitter, called, fitbit chat but there is totally no response. Does anyone know what is the process of the mastercard refund? Cos I not sure how they are going to refund me when they do not know my mastercard number. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I am unable to verify my account as it keep showing "Please allow 30 minutes after registration on our registration website for our Reference code to work in our system." 

Thanks 

Best Answer

So I finally got the email with the access and discount code on it - access code works fine but discount code says sorry, code is invalid. Has anyone else had this happen? 

Best Answer

Has anyone else had problems with the registration process? It keeps saying the reference code Fitbit sent me isn't valid and livechat doesn't seem to be working for support?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Went through process of registration for refund immediately upon receiving the email from Fitbit which was 2 days ago (05.03.) and since my region is not 'officially' listed on Fitbit refund process (or Fitbit store), I'm redirected to refund page where I was able to verify my account simply by logging in (without any code I see other people are mentioning here), and my region (Bosnia and Herzegovina) is automatically listed and I managed to finish the process.

It was said that my watch will stop syncing and that I will get an confirmation mail of sort.

My watch indeed stopped syncing within first hour of registering for refund, but I never got any confirmation email. I can't get discount code since there is no official support on Fitbit store for my region, so refund is my only option.

I see some other people are reporting delays in receiving those confirmation emails so I hope I will eventually get it, since my Ionic is rendered useless now and I'm using it extensively since I got it 10 months ago.

Can't imagine the backlash this story will get if Google/Fitbit manage 

I'm first in line.

Moderator Edit: Word choice

Best Answer

This is a nightmare.

Advocates on the Live Chat are too eager to end the chat!!

I have registered for the refund, and received a reference number. I received this 15 hours ago.

I have been trying to go to the next step, and enter the reference number to verify the account. I keep getting the message that the code is not found, and to contact Support.

I did this yesterday and was told to try in a couple of hours. So I did. Same message appeared.

Tried again today. Still no luck. So contacted Support again.

An advocate eventually connected, after about an hour of waiting, and told me to try again in some hours, as it takes time for the registration to appear on the system. And then ended the chat, as I was responding!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have thought that 15 hours is long enough.

What do i nee to do, to get a refund, for a product I am being told I must stop using?

Best Answer

I have tried to follow the process. I no longer have the ionic.  Safely disposed of last year when it shorted out.  I have a reference number.  I have tried the online chat to no avail.  Email not accepted. Can Fitbit please email or contact me to resolve. Thanks 

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's a prepaid mastercard, which I believe is attached to an email, don't know how long it will take, waiting for mine. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This!  Well said Sam.  Another gripe for me though is I can't replace it with a Fitbit that you can load music on directly - I'm not paying Spotify/Pandora/Deezer.  It's why I bought the Ionic.  Fitbit should have the music app that enables this on the Sense/Versa 3

Moderator Edit: word choice

Best Answer

My reference code keeps saying ‘not recognised’ I’ve tried chat but no luck! Please help!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same to me, 3 days and dont work. Tried it 2 times with different codes. Support dont answer me either? Ive turned off watch, cancelled subscription and turned off sync. Now i cant use it, but dont get any help. Called swedish help number 20 minutes and the havent answered. Is this just a scam???

Best Answer

Im kind of interested in the ionic and wondering if people still use their or replaced it. The main reason for the watch is the gps built in because i do running without the phone and like to keep track of things and the nfc payment (if uk banks use it), heart rate monitoring and music storage plus can be brought quite cheap. Had a quick glance on reddit and notice people complaining about battery life after updates, is that still a problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep, I experienced the exact same problem. The Ionic watch is a recognized device on my account, but verification code keeps giving me the same error with advice that it takes 30 minutes for the registration to go through. The Online chat told me to wait a few hours before entering the code, that was nearly 2 days ago and it is still not working. Considering the Fitbit is a 'smart device' company, their systems for this recall seem to be pretty poor!

Best Answer

I had the ionic which died battery went it was only 1yr old fitbit not much helped denied any issues gave me a code and I purchased the sense now they have recalled the ionic due to battery issue but I cannot follow the refund process as my ionic is dead so cannot sync with acc no joy through online chat to get response and none on phone number either so does that mean because my watch died after 1yr I cannot get a refund?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I already opened the refund process for my loving IONIC and already got 2 mails with a link for discount in fitbit shop. But both links will open an empty page.

Is there no discount in Germany for Ionic returns?

As my IONIC was deactivated already I need a new one.

thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

299 USD depends on the conversion rate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Even after two days, the verification was not successfull. Verification code hat not been found. Whatever the end of this story will be - it will be my last Fitbit in my life. I just spent hours when I bought it new and it arrived in not working condition. Now, few months later, I have to throw it into the bin. Hey, is this the quality you provide with products and services? Ok then, you lost me as a customer.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I waited 2 days and tried again and it didn’t work so I agree their systems for this recall are very poor! It’s very frustrating!

Ollie
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer