Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

Does work but for everyone waiting for a reference code I would state the following:

As I working developer I believe what is probably happening is the system generating the codes is passing them on to another server.  However due to demand this other server is probably silently failing in the background when ingesting these codes. This would account for some people working others not working even after waiting (24 hours).

I myself first time awaited over a day retrying the code at intervals, tried registering a second time and again waited.  Third time created another reference code and this time worked within 10 minutes (did this around 9:30 UK time). 

I would say wait 6-12 hours max before simply registering again for a new reference code.

When it finally worked I was emailed a recall account verified email with a link to follow for the discount store (again here I had to enter the ref number (same one as before)).  Note this did not send me directly to the discount page instead another email was sent to me.

Final email contained a link, access code and discount code (the later is for the free expedite shipping).  You follow link in email and enter the access code to get to a shopping page with eligible products already discounted which you can add to your cart/basket. 

Does state on the page however "This code only works once, so load up your cart and let’s keep moving!"  My promo code however for expedite shipping did not work.  Tried support chat to get this changed but they are just reading from a script and again not really understanding the process just stating to retry the code in 24 hours?

Knowing the amount of ionic users they should have scaled up the service to meet demand, along with support staff after all feel sorry for them having to deal with this many angry customers.

Moderator Edit: Word choice

Best Answer

Wow,  so I'd better try again, because even after putting the code in, I did not see accepted. 

and my watch still sync's with the app.   Thanks and Cheers

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Clapoti wrote:

@Loodicrus so you got the confirmation email and your Ionic removed from Syncing at the same time ?
My Ionic is not syncing for 4-5 hours but still no able about a refund.

I'm not sure of the exact timing. The email stated that syncing was removed. In my fitbit profile the Ionic is no longer registered.

Best Answer

This is the second recall of a Fitbit Device. I also was a Fitbit Force user, which was recalled and users received a $140.00 for that device. I will continue purchasing from Fitbit and also recommend the company to family and friends. Not many companies are standing behind their products or will they issue a refund full or partial, so that says a lot about Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also received that email containing a link that should give me the discount but it opens a white page with no code or similar things. Did you experience the same problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes
If the Ionic was registered to your account and you did not remove it., it
will be on Fitbit records and would be valid for a refund.
Best Answer
0 Votes
No. Have chosen to get card refund.
Am getting another firbit tho off Ebay.
Half the price even without fitbit discount.
Am awaiting email/refund tho. I am told it will be 3 to 6 weeks.
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you received an email saying they have removed your Fitbit from your
account it means you are due a refund, to have received this notification
it is presumed you got a reference number from them that you submitted. If
this is the case, it will be a day or two before you receive another email
confirming your registration and refund

------------------

I haven't applied for the 40% discount yet I am waiting for the refund
first. If you are having problems with the link try another browser such as
Microsoft Edge or another it may work for you

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all FINALLY got there with the reference codes ( based in UK). My original codes didn’t work so have literally just been through the whole registration process again to get a 3rd code and worked within 15mins no problem! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RyPrice this!

"(...) I myself first time awaited over a day retrying the code at intervals, tried registering a second time and again waited.  Third time created another reference code and this time worked within 10 minutes (...)"

reregistering a third time worked for me.

Best Answer

All sorted!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ionic was just voluntarily recalled.  See post at top of this section.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

I have the same problem. 

Moderator Edit: Word choice

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine was completed correctly, email address repeated in second field as well as Reference Code in the  verification request, no success and no response from Support on the Chat. I'm in South Africa but bought mine in Florida - hope that is not causing this problem now ? 

Best Answer

The same with me

Best Answer
0 Votes

Alex_rouge_0-1646663004697.png

@PaulAvo thanks for the advice but the link keeps opening this empty page (i tried with chrome and edge). Did someone resolve this problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well , after an initial failiure of the process i did manage to veriffy and dissable sync on Saturday  , within miniutes got the discount email . went to the discount site bought a sense and paid for one day delivery ( working day ) Just had a DHL email to say its on its way in customs in Holland , Just hopeing i dont end up having to pay anything , wont be happy if i do . so hang in there it dose work . just got to wait for the refund now 3 - 6 weeks and for the new watch to be delivered

Best Answer

My Fitbit has been removed but I have received no email confirmation at all….

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Grixyp yep same for me... let me know if you receive an email... not cool to be in the dark like that 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Every time I try to reply using my computer Chrome browser I get this message "Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested." So have to Use MS Edge for some reason to reply here. Strange as I thought I was blocked!
Just phoned and spoke to someone at Fitbit about the refund etc and said I registered but have heard nothing since. They just said wait a few days as there systems are overwhelmed with everyone registering and getting refunds. So I guess I will have to wait for the link to complete for the refund and discount code. Maybe in the next few days I might get something through.

Best Answer
0 Votes