Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waving arms counting as steps - what to do-Ionic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just wondering on people's opinions on this.  I have severe osteoarthritis of the right hip and walking/stepping now always ideal for me and can be pretty painful. Before on days I couldn't get to the gym or when I couldn't walk due to bad weather I would jog on the spot but that's just a no no for me now as I get a flare up with the hip.

What I've found is that if I wave my arms up and down repetitively I get steps in this way.  Even sitting down doing it.  I don't log this as an activity but it seems to log it as an activity with my heart-rate going up.

What I want to know is - do people think this is cheating?  I know it's not proper steps but just feel a bit deflated when I can't achieve this.  See if I can attach a screen shot of an activity I did today doing this.

TIA.  Smiley Happy

Capture.JPG

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
48 REPLIES 48

If other trackers can distinguish between steps and arm movement, then Fitbit really need to address this. I have just invested in a fibit and accuracy is of utmost importance to me. I noticed today, that the Fitbit was counting steps while we were in the car, because the road surface was uneven! 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer

Hello @Annie999 welcome to our forums, I'm glad to take a look to your concern.

Let me share with you that Fitbit devices have a finely-tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running. When working at a desk, cooking, or performing other activities with arm movements, a device on your wrist may add some steps. When you’re doing activities that involve arm movement—such as working or cooking—you often walk a few steps in-between stationary periods as well, so the device tries to give you credit for those steps.

For most users, the number of extra steps added by arm-based movement isn’t significant when compared to your overall stats. For more information, see How does my Fitbit device count steps?. Your feedback is appreciated.

I'll be here if you need anything else. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I eliminate arm motion and only count steps on my Fitbit?

Best Answer

Change your hand setting to dominate if it isn't already

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @biddeford1 welcome aboard! I appreciate your post. Also, thanks for your help @Rich_Laue and the helpful information that was posted, nice to see you here. My apologies for the delay in responding guys.

@biddeford1 If you wear a wrist-based Fitbit device and move your body while keeping your arms still (or vice versa), you may see a slightly different step count than if you wear a device clipped to your clothing. When you’re doing activities that involve arm movement—such as working—you often walk a few steps in-between stationary periods as well, so the device tries to give you credit for those steps. For most users, the number of extra steps added by arm-based movement isn’t significant when compared to your overall stats. For more information, see How does my Fitbit device count steps? Also, you can check: How do I wear my Fitbit device?

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a friend that does kickboxing and she averages 7.5k for a hour of kickboxing. to me that doesn’t sound right. You are not stepping that much in a hour and that sounds more like arm movements. Am i wrong in my thinking?

Best Answer

You already know my thoughts on this subject. 

Best Answer

Hello Ricardo

How about My device counting steps while I ride a scooter based on road jerks, here there is no activitiy from my body at all.

Thank you

Ram

Best Answer

I think it counts if it raises your heart rate. My goodness, there are exercise programs that are done while sitting; everyone gets their steps differently, as we all have different capabilities! You keep up whatever you can do, girl, and challenge yourself whenever possible. You’re doing what you can, and you can’t do more than that. Good luck to you {{hug}} !!

Best Answer
Hmmmm, it also counts steps whilst I'm a passenger in the car!
Best Answer

Yes it could, your tracker looks for movements of the arm, not your feet. 

Depending on the autos suspension, you may get some steps counted. 

Best Answer
The roads are in very bad shape where I live! I think that has a lot to do
with it.
Best Answer

@RicardoFitbit Two questions regarding arm movement affecting step count:

1. I’m a bartender. Wondering if making drinks standing still affects step count considerably.

2. Same thing with standing still gardening like raking or using a hoe. 
Thanks a bunch!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SamanthaLane you are the best one to determine if gardening or bartending adds steps, look at your step count before and after doing these tasks. 

What could help is to put the Watch on your non dominate wrist but set it for the dominate wrist. 

This is what i have done, about the only thing i do with my left hand is eat and write, the tracker is on my left arm. Now a few tasks i use whichever hand feels more natural at the time and thus have set the watch for dominate. I use my right hand to much to put a watch on it. 

Best Answer

I don’t think it is cheating. These are your fitness goals. Way to think outside of the box and work toward activity. That is why we have things like hand bikes. Don’t listen to the nay sayers. Get your movement in!

Count them. This is your fitness journey. Any activity is good. Use what works when it works. If you are in a challenge with friends they should support your efforts.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have to agree with the posts. Moving your arms should not count as steps.  When I use the chain saw it racks up steps yet not moving my feet and when I push a shopping cart no steps are counted your arms have to be moving . This is not accurate. I hope you fix  this soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It would be nice if Fitbit did not look at arm movements in trying to figure out what the legs are doing. Unfortunately the tracker is mounted on the wrist and has no chance of knowing what the feet are doing. Fitbit then needs to look for arm movements that tell it that the feet are moving. Fitbit has no choice but to look at arm motions. 

Best Answer

I have the exact opposite issue hen I walk I don’t really swing my ares at all and steps are not being counted 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This answer doesn’t satisfy me because I can be walking and not moving my arm and I don’t get steps. I only get steps when my arm is moving as well. That doesn’t seem right.

Best Answer

Actually @lizzievc it does explain it. 

Your watch is mounted on the arm, and only able to watch the motions of the arm. In reality, since the watch is not on the waist or ankle, the watch has no idea what the feet are doing. 

The watch is looking for arm motions that would be expected while the feet are stepping. 

Taking a walk, without moving the arms is unnatural so yes, steps may not be counted. 

Best Answer
0 Votes