Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will the Spo2 sensor will be available?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has there been any update when the spo2 sensor will be available for use. It was the only reason I chose this watch over the others I was looking to buy.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
450 REPLIES 450

This was the ONLY reason I bought this watch. Fitbit should have been carefull in their advertising when they mentioned about this feature. To Fitbit employee who said ‘future means future’, Fitbit should clearly mentioned that as one of its funcationality in comparison to other phone and never mentioned in their big fonts that it is not available at this time. They may have mentioned in fine print. Well, I thought I was dealing with tech company not car dealership. I am getting rid of this since ionic has lot of other issue. This was my third watch. Here I come Apple.

Aria, 

this is a straight forward false advertisement by Fitbit. They never mentioned in their advertisement that this feature is not available, instead they promoted this as its new funcationality. I bought this ionic solely for this purpose. I had other two Fitbit, and bought ionic because of SPO2, Too bad, I may consider other competitor.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I agree with the thread that Fitbit was being fast and loose with its early talk on the SpO2 sensor.  Frankly I'm not even sure why I spend the time to watch and comment in the forums since it seems Fitbit never takes the time to respond or act on 99% of the suggestions and/or issues. 

I'm loyal Fitbit owner and am on my 5th Fitbit (Flex, Flex, Charge, Blaze, Ionic).  This may be my last unless they spend some serious time and effort to make the Ionic live up to what it was sold as. 

Best Answer

There is no timeline for apple and their SpO2 sensor.

DC Rainmaker has a good write up on this subject, along with changes to the FDA that makes the certification process easier. Search the page for the term medical deviices.

As mentioned beta testing is going to start soon.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue wrote:

There is no timeline for apple and their SpO2 sensor.

Apple does not have an SpO2 sensor, we discussed this on previous page:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/When-will-the-Spo2-sensor-will-be-available/m-p/2912936/highli...

The latest Apple Watch has an EKG sensor, which will be enabled soon.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm also very disappointed with  the non working Spo2 sensor. I have sleep apnea and the advertised  Spo2 sensor  was the reason I purchased  the Ionic back in April.  As the device was released six months earlier I anticipated the Spo2 sensor would soon work.  Now it's been a year since the ionic was released and still no Spo2 sensor.

Due to issues syncing with my phone I purchased a Bluetooth dongle from FitBit. The dongle is better at syncing but some of the the features do not work using the dongle.   Dongle is another disappointment. thinking it would  be a solution to my syncing issues.

ionic Firmware version per the Dongle is 32.10.20

Firmware version per my ionic  is 27.32.10.20  The Fitbit  app on my phone reports   firmware version 27.32.10.20   

Best Answer

I'm wearing a Charge 3 and no, the SP02 sensor is not activated. There is no additional info in the app, no way to spot check blood oxygenation. I misinterpreted the launch publicity just as you did, which is the only reason I bought it. 

It's being returned and replaced with a Garmin Vivosmart 4, which ships with pulse oximetry available. 

Best Answer

Hello everyone! Thanks for your participation on this thread regarding the SpO2 sensor in your watch.

Fitbit continues to test this feature and is making advancements. Fitbit is still exploring how this would appear in the consumer experience.

I will let you know once I have any updates on this. 

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

How do you even sign up for the beta.  I bought the ionic for the o2 sensor as well so I wasn't wearing 2 watchs. ( I bought one from wish for $20 that does everything the ionic dies and blood pressure and spo2, the step count is about 500 off compared to Fitbit which is why I stuck with Fitbit). If I can't get into the beta and the sp02 is not released soon I will return the watch and stick with the cheaper one that does more. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

still nothing from support. no date. the spo2 that is so heavily marketed is useless... for now.   

i bought this thing for the one reason and it was never clear is any articles, ads, or specs that the feature is woefully incomplete

hell, i'd buy a charge 3 if fitbit had any confidence about using the spo2.   i sat on support chat and never got a straight answer about when and how this would be used even in the current product (or the next)

maybe next time.

seriously, they're not very forthcoming. all the ads and specs mention this thing and thus far... nothing

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Fitbit has never been very specific about their timeline.

Best Answer

Hey everyone! Thanks for your interest on the SpO2 sensor on the watch. 

Fitbit is still exploring how this would appear in the consumer experience, but such technology would use this sensor. Any update about this will be announced and you'll be able to get more information. 

I'll be around if you have any other questions! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Why Fitbit announce Spo2 almost two years ago when they still dont know (two years later) when this will be available.  Simply pu deceptive advertisement. 

Best Answer

The spo2 it's not new technology.  I had a $20 watch from wish that was accurate for spo2 and blood pressure both.  I was tired of wearing 2 watches so I "upgraded " to the ionic thinking I'd at least have the spo2.   This isn't rocket science, it's a simple programming with you have failed at as a company. 

Best Answer

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about Fitbit, it sucks in communicating important information to people that already own their products. They also suck at obtaining info from clients to improve their products and services. They’re great at marketing though! Honestly if I’d jump to Apple Watch in a second if their health app didn’t also suck terribly (fitbits app is awesome) and it lasted more than 24 hours. 

Best Answer

It was reported that the Sp02 sensor would have the software working by mid November. I wouldn’t hold your breath 😂😂 I can’t understand how they said it would be working on release date of August 2018 hope it’s working by 2019

Hacked off
Best Answer

With ideas for updates @Thoar fitbit has a Feature Request Board.

Yes it has been working very well, with a few exceptions. It seems when a popular request gets implemented, we imeadiatly get a lot of complaints about this newly very much wanted addition.

Yes I agree that fitbit leaves us in the dark about updates, but the opposite would be like Microsoft releasing new versions a year and a half past the announced date.

Fitbit has always stated that the SpO2 sensor will be added at a later date, and with the beta.sleep score we see we are getting closer. People have noticed a red LED on the back off the tracker, shortly after waking. 

Best Answer

This may be the information given in the USA but this side of the pond (UK) there was big hype on the sales info that on release in August 2018 the Fitbit 3 would have a working Sp02 sensor. For that reason I sold my Fitbit 2 and raided my piggy bank. Fitbit said they were awaiting the software labs to implement the software. Still waiting grrrrrrrrrrrr

That said the 3 is a great improvement on the 2 apart from the strap which could cause bigger problems with dropping off your wrist...

Hacked off
Best Answer

Yes, FB did say it would be implemented 'later', but if you go back in tech history you'll find a fair few cases of very similar cases ("we'll offer it later") where companies ended up in court being ordered to implement whatever they promised. 

Case in point: if Fitbit said that "the sensor will be working in 2 years time", they'd obviously take a hit and everyone would laugh; instead they went the sneaky way.

Now, this beta is nice and all, let's see when it'll come to fruition; what I don't understand is why it's restricted to the US, UK and Australia. Shame.

Best Answer

response from customer support: 

Thanks for reaching out, Tony. We are still in the process of testing the tracking of breathing disruptions, which can be indicators of health issues such as allergies, asthma or sleep apnea. Charge 3 devices have the sensor but we don't have a timeline yet to share at this time when it will be integrated to enhance customer experience. Let us know if you have additional questions!

Moderator edit: added context 

Best Answer
0 Votes

As someone suffering from sleep apnea, I have been longing to get my hands on this feature. Please just give me the raw SpO2 Data! I can interpret it myself. This would be soooooo helpful! No need for a score or anything. 😞

Best Answer