Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no microphone?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Coming from Pebble the ability to have the SDK, 3rd party apps, etc is all good, but without a microphone and voice dictation possibilities I just do not see this device as a replacement for my Pebble Time Steel.

Best Answer
61 REPLIES 61

Fair enough. I hope in the future Fitbit can use those amazing resources to put out a watch that can meet all of our crazy needs. Until then I will keep rocking my Pebble Steel until it dies. Thank you for the reply.

Best Answer

I am a long time Pebble Time user and was seriously considering moving to the Ionic until I just read that it does not have a microphone nor apparently the ability to use canned responses to texts.  What a huge disappointment!  Lack of both may push me to the Apple Watch 3 even with the lousy battery life!

Best Answer

You can use your headphones to respond. It actually works better than using a watch, this is coming from a previous Android wear user.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Apple seems to have no problem creating a device around the same size as the Ionic with a microphone, speaker, AND cellular.  I have had a Pebble Time for quite a while.  The ability to reply to texts and also have "canned" responses is huge.  You'd think acquiring Pebble would have had these items "rub off" on FItbit; apparently not!

Best Answer

@jresnick wrote:

Apple seems to have no problem creating a device around the same size as the Ionic with a microphone, speaker, AND cellular. 

Can you shower with an Apple Watch?  

What I'll miss is an audible alarm.  My TomTom Spark has one.  Any cheap digital watch has one.  I tend not to feel vibrations if I'm the slightest bit active.

Best Answer
0 Votes

dermbrian wrote: 

Can you shower with an Apple Watch?  

What I'll miss is an audible alarm.  My TomTom Spark has one.  Any cheap digital watch has one.  I tend not to feel vibrations if I'm the slightest bit active.

Yes, swim in a pool, shower, snorkel in the ocean, ... And it has a speaker/microphone. And it you can receive texts, phone calls, weather updates, etc., even if phone is turned off (if connected to WiFi).

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

OK Dick Tracy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree.  I had a Moto 360 two years ago and it was super useful to be able to use Google Asssitant (or whatever it was called back then).  Just for simple things like "remind me to ..." or "set a timer for ...".  Sure, the transcript was often awful, but since it's just a reminder to myself, doesn't matter if the auto-transcription was off.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

OK Dick Tracy

Ha ha, ya, real Dick Tracy stuff. Like greasy hands while working on my bike, and answering a short call from my wife on wrist by tapping knuckle on screen. Or doing the same while pulling weeds, fixing irrigation lines, planting flowers, etc. I'm pretty grateful my wife runs to the hardware store for me, and calls for clarification so we don't make multiple trips, and that I can quickly take the call even if phone isn't nearby. That kinda stuff happens all the time on weekends around here, and yeah, more than a few times I was riding bike and did a Dick Tracy by slowing to take a quick call from my wife from wrist. But generally its just around the house, when my hands are occupied or dirty from tackling some home improvement project.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would like to turn the built in microphone OFF. As I am running I am picking up the sound of the connector cable hitting on neck. Nothing says let's go and run like a pounding with every step you take. How can I do this as the tertiary noise is out of control.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Call me a Philistine, but I'd rather have a fitness watch, that does basic notifications, that does not require being locked into the Apple ecosystem, and most importantly has 4-5 days of battery life.

My name isn't Michael Knight either.

Best Answer

I respond to texts all day long.  My phone is in my briefcase.  I am not wearing headphones all day long - that is nuts.  voice text on the watch is a complete game changer.   If that shuts down, that will be the #1 feature I am looking for.

Best Answer

@lovemypebble wrote:

I respond to texts all day long.  My phone is in my briefcase.  I am not wearing headphones all day long - that is nuts.  voice text on the watch is a complete game changer.   If that shuts down, that will be the #1 feature I am looking for.

Come back in 2020. Maybe by then a CPU powerful enough can fit into the watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Pebble had all of this years ago so why wait for 2020?

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I'd rather have a fitness watch, that does basic notifications...and most importantly has 4-5 days of battery life.

^^^^This Cat Very Happy Cat Very Happy Cat Very Happy

I have an iPhone and Siri is great if you use it but I don't lol 

Honestly I'd rather have something that is activity focused, I don't need all that other stuff the AW comes with. 

Cheers!

Ionic / Alta HR ~ iPhone 6s
Best Answer

@TSLady_Biker wrote:

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I'd rather have a fitness watch, that does basic notifications...and most importantly has 4-5 days of battery life.

@sorry one of my pet hates is people editing other people's sentances . What I actually wrote:

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Call me a Philistine, but I'd rather have a fitness watch, that does basic notifications, that does not require being locked into the Apple ecosystem, and most importantly has 4-5 days of battery life.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@TSLady_Biker wrote:

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@sorry one of my pet hates is people editing other people's sentances . What I actually wrote:

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Thanks

Hi, not sure why it is an issue but I was agreeing with you? Not like your post goes away lol, no need to be negative... Cat Tongue

Best Answer

@TSLady_Biker wrote:

I Not like your post goes away lol, no need to be negative... Cat Tongue

Sure. (Edited your post just for laughs 😉 ).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@TSLady_Biker wrote:

I Not like your post goes away lol, no need to be negative... Cat Tongue

Sure. (Edited your post just for laughs 😉 ).

Lol k Cat LOL Cat LOL Cat LOL

Best Answer
The correct way would be to point out that something was edited out, as in:

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Call me a Philistine, but I'd rather have a fitness watch, that does basic notifications

--------. Cut. ---------

and most importantly has 4-5 days of battery life.

-------. Cut picture. ------

Best Answer