Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would this work? (Swimming tracking)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I know you can't upload swim workouts to strava. And I know the fitbit swimming mode does not use GPS so open water swimming would not work.

However, if you used the running/cycling mode using GPS, and went for a swim, would the GPS keep functioning? As you could the upload to Strava as a run/cycle and then edit the activity after on Strava changing it to a swim. And theoretically you would have accurate open water swim data.

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

@Adddd give it a try and report back, and you'll want to use biking mode as running/hiking/walking modes expect to see steps.

You will likely get better GPS results if you put the Ionic inside your swim cap. Otherwise the Ionic will lose GPS signal every time it is underwater. It is also difficult for optical HRM to estimate HR when in the water, so that data may not be accurate.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

I have ordered my ionic and will test this when it arrives. I'll report back accuracy for anyone who's interested.

@bbarrerawrote:

@Adddd give it a try and report back, and you'll want to use biking mode as running/hiking/walking modes expect to see steps.

You will likely get better GPS results if you put the Ionic inside your swim cap. Otherwise the Ionic will lose GPS signal every time it is underwater. It is also difficult for optical HRM to estimate HR when in the water, so that data may not be accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello - just curious if this worked for you ? Thanks !

Best Answer
0 Votes

For pool swim activities there is a request to improve the export file from fitbit.  It would be great if you could vote for it?

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Generate-meaningful-TCX-for-swimming-data/idi-p/...

Best Answer
0 Votes