Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exercise app constantly pauses

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I did a walk for the first time with my Ionic this morning; is there a way to get the app set to a walk rather than a run?  Also, it continually paused on its own while I continued to walk causing me to continually to hit the "start" button again.  Is there a way to stop this from happening?  Thanks!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

As to the first question:

Have you added the Walk activity to the list of 7 seven activities to choose from on your Ionic?  If not, let me know and I'll reply with instructions on how to do so because it is not intuitive to figure out on the app AT ALL.  I had to have help with this because I almost threw my Ionic across the room in frustration.  On the converse side of that, when I first started using my Ionic I went on a walk on the beach with my husband and it auto tracked it for me.  I never touched a thing, my watch synced with my phone and when I looked at the app it showed up that I had gone for a walk for 25 minutes.  It could have been because I had it set to auto recognize running, I don't know.  It's a mystery.

As to the second question:

I know in the settings in the run activity on the watch itself there is an option to disable the "auto-pause" function.  I don't have the walk activity loaded in my Ionic so I don't know if it has the same feature.  What I had to do to stop mine from auto pausing during pool fitness classes was set the "Screen Wake" function to manual. If you're on the main clock face screen on your watch, swipe right and you should see that option.  That way if I wanted to see the screen I had to hit a button to do it.  I discovered that somehow, depending on how the water was hitting the screen, it would auto pause my activity without me knowing.  As long as I have Screen Wake set to manual, it doesn't do that.  Downside to that though is then I can't see my stats unless I wake the screen risking it auto pausing unless I stay still while waiting for the screen to time out and go dim again.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

If you were wearing a long sleeve shirt or coat, when it gets damp from sweat, that will pause and stop workout through the touch screen.  The same issue happens with the Blaze and FitBit is aware of it for over a year now and is not fixing this problem.

Best Answer

Gabbabie, to add Walk to your Exercise Shortcuts, go to Fitbit.com Dashboard and click on the Gear Icon at the upper right and then click on Ionic.  Scroll down to Exercise Shortcuts and click on Edit.  If there are 7 listed there, you will have to delete one in order to add Walk from the long list you will be presented.

I haven't experienced the action you have but I can see where it could easily happen since the On/Off button is at the lower right of the screen and activated by touch.

Best Answer
Thanks, this helps!
Best Answer
0 Votes

See also THIS POST.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As to the first question:

Have you added the Walk activity to the list of 7 seven activities to choose from on your Ionic?  If not, let me know and I'll reply with instructions on how to do so because it is not intuitive to figure out on the app AT ALL.  I had to have help with this because I almost threw my Ionic across the room in frustration.  On the converse side of that, when I first started using my Ionic I went on a walk on the beach with my husband and it auto tracked it for me.  I never touched a thing, my watch synced with my phone and when I looked at the app it showed up that I had gone for a walk for 25 minutes.  It could have been because I had it set to auto recognize running, I don't know.  It's a mystery.

As to the second question:

I know in the settings in the run activity on the watch itself there is an option to disable the "auto-pause" function.  I don't have the walk activity loaded in my Ionic so I don't know if it has the same feature.  What I had to do to stop mine from auto pausing during pool fitness classes was set the "Screen Wake" function to manual. If you're on the main clock face screen on your watch, swipe right and you should see that option.  That way if I wanted to see the screen I had to hit a button to do it.  I discovered that somehow, depending on how the water was hitting the screen, it would auto pause my activity without me knowing.  As long as I have Screen Wake set to manual, it doesn't do that.  Downside to that though is then I can't see my stats unless I wake the screen risking it auto pausing unless I stay still while waiting for the screen to time out and go dim again.

Best Answer
Thanks so much! I was able to add the walk shortcut so hopefully that will take care of that issue. I will check into the screen wake setting as well! Thanks again!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Absolutely correct. I have exactly this problem a lot when either walking or cycling in the rain. It makes detailed tracking of a route just about impossible and drives me mad.

An option to disable the touch screen and only use the buttons would fix this.

Come on Fitbit, it can't be that hard. we don't all live in California.

Best Answer

Sorry, I have to disagree.  Even when Screen Wake is turned off, my Versa pauses my exercise.  It is written within these forums that others have this happen also.  I will probably return mine to Kohls since I have had it less than 2 weeks and they allow 30 days no questions.  Will go back to my Charge2 until I can get Charge3.  If Firbit would fix this I would go back to Versa.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is the versa problem sorted out?my versa pause the whole time busy exercise?

Best Answer

Mine is not fixed.  People said to turn off the auto-screen, so when you raise your arm it will not show the screen.... but mine would not turn off the auto-screen.  And the "pause" is in the lower right of the screen and the slightest touch, your sleeve, or water, or sweat drops, activates the button and your exercise is paused.  If someone has really found a way to disable this pause problem, I wish they would tell.

Someone has mentioned wearing the watch on the inside of your arm during exercise, to not activate the pause button as easily.  I have not tried it.     I don't know why Fitbit can't fix this.  Seems like a big problem, and the Versa is so good otherwise. 

P.S.  maybe it is fixed on Ionic.... since this is an Ionic post.  It is not fixed on Versa. 

Best Answer

Evidently the issue is still not fixed. Ran a half marathon in the rain Saturday and my Ionic paused about halfway. Very frustrating.

Best Answer
I ended up getting it replaced as that was an indication that it wasn’t working accurately. Call Fitbit and relay your issues. You will likely need a replacement.

Kathie

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

A warm welcome to the Community @BennieW and @gabbabie thanks for the input.

I would like to know if you have checked if the "Auto Pause" option is on? If it is, you can follow the instructions provided in this post to turn it off.

Hope to hear from you soon. Robot Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Auto Pause makes no difference.

But several people mentioned calling Fitbit for replacement.  I actually returned my first Versa in September.  I bought again on Black Friday.  This Versa is much better. It has paused on me only a few times during walking, hiking, and/or swim.  But much less often than the earlier unit.  So maybe some are more 'sensitive' than others.   I am pleased with the performance of my Versa.  I check it often during a WO to be sure it is not paused.  I wish the design was different for the pause button, but Fitbit seems like they are not going to change that.  Oh well, I will keep my Versa because I like the features over the Charge3. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Auto Pause was turned off. It has worked perfectly fine other than last Saturday in the rain. I had a FB Surge prior to the Ionic which is a replacement watch due to a Surge wristband issue so I'm not quite sure what to do here. Other than this sensitivity issue I am quite pleased with the watch. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

For those struggling with this issue, and have access to a 3d printer, I have designed a bumper style cover for the watch to prevent accidental presses. It is a quick 10 min print. I went through many iterations to come to this design, and it fits very snug and is not easy to accidentally knock off.

You can find it at:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4276842

Best Answer
0 Votes

Auto pause is off and it still pauses while actively running, I just ran a software update, that has to be the problem.  I have had it for over a year with no issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes