Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ionic tracking grossly inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Watched my ionic and realized it doesn't count more than half of my steps, so to test it I also wired my trusty surge. Not sure if my ionic is simply dysfunctional but it counts approximately 40% of the steps that I take. As a fitness tracker that was heavily promoted one would think it tracks fitness accurately but mine does not. I do 4500 steps minimum on the treadmill in 45 mins, however the ionic claims I did less than 1800. Walking my dogs 1500 steps, the ionic says 625. I have tracked these for 2 years through my surge and expected some variation but this is unexplainable. For a device I paid almost $500 for I am very disappointed. Perhaps mine is simply faulty. Has anyone else had this problem or should I say lesson learned and look at other android trackers as the workmanship is simply not up to par on this device?

Best Answer
59 REPLIES 59

MIne is grossly inaccurate too. I have not written to fitbit yet, but plan to.

Best Answer

I just switched to the ionic from the Alta HR. My steps have decreased dramatically. A friend of mine just switched also and he says the same thing, less steps. Very strange it works for some but not other. Maybe it is defective. 

Best Answer

Same issue here, just switched from Alta to Ionic and looks like getting at least 2-4k less steps per day. I've really confirmed it by watching the hourly step goal. We need 250 per hour so when I get up to clock the steps needed I count them because I can see Ionic is not recognizing the steps. It lags behind and when it finally catches up its less than what I counted, sometimes by a lot (like half) and others times just 10-20 steps.

Ionic, Alta, Flex
Best Answer

In my particular case, I think the problem was the placement of the watch. I've always worn watches on my left wrist, even though I'm technically a lefty for most things. I do a lot of my walking while I'm on the phone, which I hold with my left hand. The Ionic doesn't seem to track steps properly when your hand is not down at your side. If it's up next to your ear (such as when you're holding a phone up to your ear), it doesn't track steps properly the way the Fitbit Surge was able to do. When I wear my Ionic on my right wrist (so that it's always at my side even when I'm on the phone), it tracks my steps accurately. So it seems Fitbit's new algorithm tries to reduce false positives by not registering steps when the device is positioned next to your ear -- their assumption, it seems, is that most people who wear their watch on their non-dominant hand will typically hold their phone using their dominant hand. That's probably a reasonable assumption for most users, but not for me. I wish Fitbit gave users the option to use the older algorithm that the Surge was using for anomalous "handedness" cases like mine. As I said, my Surge had no problem tracking steps while it was next to my ear.

Best Answer
I don't have a job where I'm on the phone and waking at the same time. I'm left handed when I write and eat, but do most other things like cutting, throwing, etc with my right hand.

Even when I move my arms walking it doesn't count my steps properly.

I'm disappointed because I would think it would be better than other trackers since it's the latest and greatest.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have my old surge on and my ionic - ionic is way odd and won’t register heart rate at all - so disappointed in this piece of crap - going to get a refund! You would think for $499 you wouldn’t have all these issues!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My ionic didn't give me the option to callibrate it.  How does it get callibrated?

Mine is counting every move of my arm as a step so I a reaching my 6500 steps without getting up and moving.

Best Answer

I am having this exact problem. Very frustrating. My charge HR worked amazingly, I’ve upgraded and I’m devastated as it was a Christmas present from my husband 

Best Answer

I received mine as a gift too.  I had a Withings watch.  It counts accurately, but my husband gave me this fitbit because it is water resistant.  I think that it is too new and they don't have the step counter working correctly.

I am going to have it sent back as I want an accurate step count.  I have already stepped 565 steps and all I did was get ready for work.  Not too much stepping involved there.  It counts my arm movement as a step.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got my Ionic for Christmas and I haven't been happy with the accuracy of the step count.  I don't think it's counting 60% of my steps. I'm very frustrated.  My Charge 2 seemed  a lot more accurate.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
I got mine for Christmas too - was really sad when it didn't work. I took
it back to Harvey Norman the following week and asked for an exchange - and
said I wasn' t leaving until they set it up and showed me it worked
accurately as I had my old Surge on. They couldn't gt the second one to
work either!!!! I got a refund for it and my blue-tooth earphones I got
with it and gave up. We were then at Noel Leeming trying to find another
gift for me and I thought I'd try again there and it works perfectly!
Weird....very weird....and I still don't trust it, so I wear both and they
seem to be within a hundred steps of each other throughout the day so
that's good.

Take it back - get another one!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much.  I'll give that a try.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'v lost 10000 steps a week compared to my charge 2! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Ionic is also very inaccurate. I think it is only counting about half of my steps or even less. I went up and down my stairs a few times before I left my house, plus the time I was getting ready and getting my kids ready for school, then I walked around at a home inspection for about 45 minutes.  By the time I left there I was only at 545 steps...already seems really inaccurate and then I did 4 miles at the gym and it only recorded 4,000 steps. In the past that would have recorded over 7,000 steps. Almost 2,000 steps per mile. I have since done a number of things that involved walking and more stairs and my fitbit is only showing 6,205 steps and 15 steps (probably done more like 25 today) at 11:25 pm. I am so disappointed. 

Best Answer

Yes, I have had the same issue. I got on with Fitbit support and they had me do a factory reset and its still having issues. They wanted to send me a refurbished model but I wasn't going to accept that after paying what I did for this. I will just take it back to the store and try my luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

And you better exchange it before it's a year old or you can forget it.  The most inaccurate tracker I've owned to date...sadly disappointing as is their customer service.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally agree ,my 4th fit bit,so I know my average.

this is so not happening with ionic.

can I take it back!

Best Answer
0 Votes

wrote:

Watched my ionic and realized it doesn't count more than half of my steps, so to test it I also wired my trusty surge. Not sure if my ionic is simply dysfunctional but it counts approximately 40% of the steps that I take. As a fitness tracker that was heavily promoted one would think it tracks fitness accurately but mine does not. I do 4500 steps minimum on the treadmill in 45 mins, however the ionic claims I did less than 1800. Walking my dogs 1500 steps, the ionic says 625. I have tracked these for 2 years through my surge and expected some variation but this is unexplainable. For a device I paid almost $500 for I am very disappointed. Perhaps mine is simply faulty. Has anyone else had this problem or should I say lesson learned and look at other android trackers as the workmanship is simply not up to par on this device?

wrote:

I totally agree ,my 4th fit bit,so I know my average.

this is so not happening with ionic.

can I take it back!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Ionic is also not counting steps. Not only that but it is not resetting overnight. For instance today I woke up and it said I had 3560 steps! But the app on my phone had a different number. Then later I went for a walk and watched the counter freeze several times; once for almost half a mile of walking. Eventually it gave me my alert for hitting my 10000 steps, yet I hadn't actually since it was counting extra steps from yesterday. All while the app never said the same number as the Ionic even though I was syncing. Now I just got an alert on my Ionic again, saying I just made my 10000 steps, yet seconds before the display was showing 10680... then after the alert it now shows ZERO steps.. while the app now says 8590. Oh, except that the app then went to Zero as well. I did a shut down and restarted the Ionic and now the app and Ionic show the same number again, but it is incorrect as it shows 10,646 steps which I know I did not do today.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m having similar problems,I’m going to try to take mine back it’s not worth the money ,it’s still under warranty.
I am over fighting with it!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes