Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 hour work shift and weight loss

I work 12 hour shifts (swing shift) in a factory and have a hard time with meal planning for work and at home. Night shift is the worst! Since starting this shift schedule two years ago, I’ve gained 15 pounds. If you have any tips on meal planning and weight loss, I’d love to hear them! TIA

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I work 12's too... it's TOUGH!!  I plan on spending most of my Sunday (only day off) getting ready for the rest of the week... I cook lunches for the whole week.

Breakfast is 1/2 c. of overnight oats... I use unsweetened Almond milk & toss in some frozen fruit... I use real maple syrup to sweeten it up.  I make 2 days worth at a time... if I make them too far in advance they get a little to mushy for my liking.  Only takes a few minutes to make more mid-week.

Mid morning, I have 1/2 c. of nuts (honey roasted cashews are my favorite!)

Lunch is usually a grilled chicken breast w/ BBQ sauce & some veggies.

Dinner is flexible, but I use my crockpot almost every day... I found some crockpot freezer dump meals that are great.  

Hope some of that helps!

Best Answer

I worked 12's for 30 yrs and it is very difficult. Look into internet articles about circadian rhythm ,the body's natural way of running your digestive system as relating to sleep times.

After a certain time of the day your systems slow down and prepare themselves for sleep and that includes your digestive system so when you work nights you are bucking that by staying awake and eating when you'd normally be sleeping .

Many articles have been written on ways to adapt somewhat to shift work.

Best Answer
0 Votes