Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

120 lbs to lose, motivation, encouragement, and friendships invited.

I have struggled with weight my whole life. Im an emotional eater thats my first down fall. My next down fall is I love food and I am no way perfect at enjoying its deliciousness in moderation. My third and fourth downfalls are soda and fast food. With all that said it has been a horrible struggle. My current Weight 268 pounds. Thats pretty big to admit but I cant hide myself. If acheivement is to be succeeded might as well put it all out there. I purchased a Fitbit Force last year... and have used it very minimally. In the year 2014 I was all talk... and very little walk. This year I need a change. Im making 2015 the year of change. I would like to eat healthier, get moving, cut out the soda and fastfood ( not completely because there are just some things in life that is nice to enjoy every now and then but learn to have in moderations without going over board). Ive tried blogging, and having facebook friends for motivation but that doesnt help when the people are super close to you..... I'm looking for friendships that can be built here, motivation, recipe sharing, challenges we can create against one another, and through it all lose the weight and gain friendships that maybe could last a lifetime. For safety of internet at the moment I wont use my name. I go by craftyturtlez.... the reasoning Im crafty, love to crochet, knit, paint, sing, and make just about anything i can get creative with... the turtlez is because i like turtlez... Im 29 years old turning 30 in a few months, no children at the moment, married and really do enjoy life... just dont have much energy something im trying to work on. I love to cook and am the primary chef in my household. I work too, sit at a desk job all day... all that sitting creates more sitting... it can be quite tiring. I love the outdoors, camping and skiing ( havent been on skis since teenage years). Anyway thats just a little bit about myself. If your in the same boat and want to build friendship and seek out motivation or just have someone to talk to on a super rough day or even a super good day. Im always around.... Friend me and lets make 2015 be a year of amazements 🙂 Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Best Answer
47 REPLIES 47

If you don't mind an older encoureger I am here. I had given up on losing weight and decided to just live until health started degrading. I am going to take control of my eating and exercising and live a long happy life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hope you did well on your exam

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did very well on my test. Finally passed lol now i can get on to the less stressful things in life
🙂  Thank you for inquiring.

Best Answer

Hey, I am in the same boat. I have 130# to loose. BUT I cannot walk well. I was born with hip displaysia but this past couple years it is finally causing pain to actually walk. Hoping for an operation (total hip replacement) for the end of this year but I have to loose some weight at least 50#) first. Thats why I am here. So I started to ride my bike 2-3 miles a day and try to get 5000 steps in as best I can. 

Logging all my food (vegetarian), exercising 4-5 days a week, and trying to stay away from fast food, but my hubby is my sabateur. Gonna be hard. I have, over the last several years, just gotten comforatble in my body (for the first time EVER) and not worried about weight. I actually finaly stopped gaining once I stopped worring. But now I have to take control.

Hoping I can do this. Praying to God for some help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can do this! .... I have been saying to myself a lot this year that there is no try only do! I just sent you a friend request and I also started a group. If you go to Community and then click on activiy group look up Journey to 2016 there are a few people who have joined it so far... but its basically a group there to help hold you accountable and motivate and encourage you when life seems to be throwing the lemons! Everyone is welcome we are all here for eachother!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am sorry, I new to this forum. Do you me the "GET FIT"?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Best of luck with your hip surgery. My husband had both hips replaced 5 years ago. He is very happy with them. It is refreshing to hear that someone is happy with their body. It sounds like you are finding what works for you! I have cut out most processed foods but going vegan seems so far out of reach. I know it would be the best thing for me. My husband is also my saboteur, he buys chocolate when he thinks I may be doing too well. I don't understand it. I just keep doing what I am doing.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi guys, craftyturtlez you sound just like me! I've 120lbs to lose top and I'm a medical secret meaning I'm sitting at my desk all day every day, I realise what a struggle it is trying to get those steps in during the day! Please feel free to add me, sorry I've not figured out how to do it properly yet 😕https://www.fitbit.com/user/2YJ8HJ
Best Answer

Hey also another person looking to lose 120 lbs here!

I began on 1/3/15 and in the 4 weeks I've lost nearly 23 lbs (out of a goal weight loss of 120 lbs).

Let me share with you how I got there and some tips I have - I'm not lecturing here just trying to share the knowledge I've gained over the last few months on the topic 🙂 

I know weight loss can be hard, but I should say if you haven't already look into a low-carb diet. I know it used to be considered a "fad" but a lot of science has been published since. To give you a quick idea, the Atkins diet was recently put against 4 other popular diets, ranging from a vegetable/fruit only diet to the traditional low-fat diet. Not only did Atkins come out on top in terms of overall weight loss, but the participants on the Atkins diet lost the most weight the quickest and were able to stick with the program the longest.

What's the science behind it? Basically it goes like this: We eat carbs on a daily basis, from bread to cereals to grains to chips. To your body, a carb is a carb, doesn't matter where it comes from. What does your body convert carbs to? Sugar. So if you eat a bagel for breakfast you might as well have downed a soda because your body in the end will conver it all to sugar.

All these carbs drive an insulin overproduction response. Insulin's first step is to provide that sugar to your muscles, but if you're like 99% of people in the world who aren't running a marathon, your muscles are full. So Insulin then converts the sugar into fat (via the liver). So this is the issue! Trying to lose weight on a calorie restriction while eating a diet composed of carbs makes it very difficult! I think we can all agree how hard this is!

Obviously cutting out added sugars is a must, so it is good to take that first step. But a low-carb diet takes it to the other extreme. What ends up happening is you restrict your carb intake to 20 grams a day. What this does is force the body to burn its own fat for fuel. Why? When you don't have enough sugar intake (ie carbs), your insulin levels remain very low. In response to this, your body begins to produce ketones (don't confuse this with ketoacidosis in diabetics, two completely different things that have different resons for coming about!). 

The reason for ketones is because Insulin is needed to provide cells with energy from your diet. Without Insulin, your body gets its fuel using Ketones. Ketones burn your own fat for energy! How is that for a diet?

Lots of studies have looked at comparing low-carb diets from 30g of carbs a day up to 110 g of carbs a day. What they found is the more carbs you eat in a day, the more the ratio of your fat to muscle loss increases. For example, on a 20-30g carb restricted diet, you will lose somewhere in the range of 2-4 lbs of fat a week, 99% being from fat and 1% being from lean muscle. At 110g of carbs a day, you lose 2.5 lbs of fat a week, only 70% from fat and 30% being from lean muscle.

So on a low carb diet not only do you burn fat faster, you will burn MORE fat than muscle, especially on a 20g carb restriction.

I am a big fan of the Atkins diet because I have lost 100 lbs on it in the past in less than 1 year. Unfortunately I treated it as a diet and not a life-style change and I gained that weight back. This time I am determined to make it a permanent change and eliminate added sugars from my diet even after losing the weight.

Atkins also allows you to add carbs back as you progress through the diet so you won't be on 20g permanently!

Last thing to mention: Studies have shown that Insulin blocks the Leptin hormone from signaling your brain when you are full. So a high-carb diet, driving overproduction of Insulin, is one of the reasons why so many of us can never seem to get full even after eating a big meal! One thing about Atkins is because it is a high-fat diet (again this isn't dangerous especially if you are eating monounsaturated good fats -> Look up the video by Dr. Jonny Bowden on YouTube in his lecture about Cholestorol), your body will produce a TON of Leptin signal to your brain. An because you are not eating sugar, you have no Insulin response, so you get full very very fast on very little food and your hormone signal for telling your brain when you're full works like it's supposed to!

Dr. Atkins tells in his book not to count calories. The reason for this is because it's impossible to overeat on the Atkins diet, because you are always so full. I tried counting once for the sake of it and I could barely eat more than 2000 calories a day, usually hovering around 1400 calories (And at no point was I starving).

Sorry for the long post! My message is here for all those on the same path as me looking to lose weight, but now we have the scientific understanding as to why not all diets are the same and its important for us to be open minded about this 🙂

Best Answer

Thanks for posting this. I am having trouble losing weight and I do think it's too many carbs and that I am a 59 yr. old woman! Just had oatmeal and it was 40 carbs! Right there I am over. I usually have eggs for breakfast but was out thus the oatmeal. Now I am going back to the eggs. So, my question is...I have been tracking my food since Sunday, and have noticed that the fat ratio is as much as the protein? Is that OK do you think? It's kind of alarming to see what you are really eating when being dead honest with yourself. I am doing well over 10,000 steps a day and the scale has not budged. This is day 5. I don't want to get discouaged but I need to see some weight move! I only have 15 pounds to lose but it is all relative. Had knee surgery and it's super important to get these pounds off. Every pound you lose is 4 lbs off the knee. Thanks again for reminding me about Atkins...

Best Answer

@Nolty07 wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I am having trouble losing weight and I do think it's too many carbs and that I am a 59 yr. old woman! Just had oatmeal and it was 40 carbs! Right there I am over. I usually have eggs for breakfast but was out thus the oatmeal. Now I am going back to the eggs. So, my question is...I have been tracking my food since Sunday, and have noticed that the fat ratio is as much as the protein? Is that OK do you think? It's kind of alarming to see what you are really eating when being dead honest with yourself. I am doing well over 10,000 steps a day and the scale has not budged. This is day 5. I don't want to get discouaged but I need to see some weight move! I only have 15 pounds to lose but it is all relative. Had knee surgery and it's super important to get these pounds off. Every pound you lose is 4 lbs off the knee. Thanks again for reminding me about Atkins...

Yes that is perfectly fine!

We have become accustomed to associating Fat as bad. The reality is your body digests the fat into glycerol and fatty acid chains which it uses to make glucose for your cells. Fat does not associate with bad health!

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGOpjPNtjes

Lots of literature has come out in the last 10 years or so that points to Fat actually reducing Heart Disease rather than increasing it. On a low-carb diet I usually average 60-75% daily fat intake, with 20-30% protein, and maybe 5% carbs. This is inline with what the medical literature actually suggests is best for you (Carbs have been linked more recently to heart disease, increasing LDL, and of course diabetes).

We've been misled for so many years by the FDA and the American Heart Association that its really a shame. Even Saturated fat is no longer the enemy as many have preached before. And Cholesterol in your serum from your diet (like eggs) is NOT bad for you. Even the American Heart Association is beginning to change its stance.

The video I posted is a lecture given by Dr. Jonny Bowden dispelling the great myth about Saturated fat and Cholesterol citing medical literature (not just his opinions).

I do also want to note that a lot of studies have shown that when patients are placed on a low-carb high-fat diet, and others placed on a high-carb low-fat diet, their blood results are opposite! The low-carb high-fat patients decreased LDL (bad cholesterol), increased HDL (good cholesterol), decreased triglycerides, and had no change in blood pressure.

You know what happened to the low-fat high-carb patients? LDL increased, HDL decreased, Triglycerides increased. I know it is not what we have been taught, but times are changing and science is advancing in this field. What Dr. Atkins taught 40 years ago is only now becoming a scientific reality.

Also Dr. Bowden will explain in the lecture that Cholesterol is not just HDL and LDL as we've been taught, but rather their are components of LDL that are good and bad and it's important to recognize the difference.

Also I recommend this documentary (part 3 of 6 but the whole documentary is a great watch as well):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo3TRbkIrow

Best Answer

@Nolty07 wrote:

Also if you like to read, Dr. Bowden has a really great book recently published called "Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss". In it he brings forth the science up to 2013 and explains many of the common myths and put forth the reasons for low-carb health wise. He also reviews 23 of the most popular low-carb diets including Atkins to really give a nice comparison and overview of each diets' strength and weakness. He also has another book called "The Great Cholesterol Myth: Why Lowering Your Cholesterol Won't Prevent Heart Disease-and the Statin-Free Plan That Will" that I've heard is stellar.

Of course the original 2002 Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution is also a great read if you haven't read it and also explains a lot of the science. The three books really complement each other pretty well and go a long way to re-educating us about the realities of our dietary intakes.

Best Answer

Thanks. I will definitely check out Bowden's book.

Best Answer

Thanks Cheryl. I just got my refereal to the Ortho so now we will see where that leads me. I do not have high hopes. I am sure they will refuse to do anything until I loose weight! But we will see.

I am not Vegan. Well actually i did for about 4 months, but it is really hard. I missed cheese and then there is the eating out, WOW that is hard unless you are going to specific vegan resturants which are more expensive then some of the places we go to regularly. So I am a vegetarian who once in a while eats cheese, butter, eggs (only mixed in foods) and a couple other lacto things 1 or 2 x a week. I love it. Since I went Vegetarian I feel so much better. BUT I still cannot loose the weight. You would think I would be skinny, But Noooooo! Too much pasta and sweets and even fast foods, mainly fries!

My husband buys fast food, will encourage late night eating and brings home icecream. I sabatoue myself with chocolate.....LOL! Well, looks like you and I will have to just hucker down and tell our guys we need more support. I have many times, but he is overweight too and in his own denial of food intake. Errrrggg! Why does food have to taste so darn good?  LOL LOL LOL!

Best Answer

Hello!!

I am also new to fitbit. I got my flex at the beginning of January and just got serious about using it.  I too have a large amount of weight to lose. Right now I am at 200 haven't really set a goal I just want to get healthy.  I am 28 years old and would like to get healthy so my husband and I can start having kids sometime in the next 5 years.  I see a lot of you are going through my same struggles and hopefully we can challenge and encourage one another.  Add me as a friend and we can encourage one another!!

Best Answer
I'm in a similar predicament. I need to lose about 135lbs. I want to be happy and healthy and be able to rock a little black dress. 🙂
Best Answer
Morning guys, well I'm just about to take my furbaby on a walk, unfortunately not a very long one as she's an old lady now an can't walk too far then I'm off to the gym to kick start my weekend 🙂 please also feel free to add me, the more support the better//www.fitbit.com/user/2YJ8HJ x
Best Answer

Yes we need to buckle down with our guys! and yes why does food have to taste so good!? I am proud of myself for skipping on the mountain dew that I was on my way to the fridge to get and changed my mind and made myself a healthy smoothie instead! Now that is progress! Glad to know you are a vegetarian! vegan does seem to extreme.

Going to keep working at this! Love my fitbit Chat soon, Cheryl

Best Answer

Looking forward to the encouragement and challenges. Have you signed up for fit for food? I hope that is what it is called! You are going to rock that dress very soon! Please post pictures when you do.

Best Answer

My furbaby walks me! Good luck with your workout

Best Answer