Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1500 calories deficit?

ANSWERED

Hi ! 

So I am slightly overweight, but for my job purpose (acting), I have a little less than 5 months to lose let's say 44 pounds which means around 2 pounds a week but instead of stepping into a small caloric deficit, I went to 1500, because I would like to lose 3/4 every 10 days so I can actually start reverse dieting a little bit before. 

I was wondering if this was safe or if I should just stay at 2 pounds a week stay at a 1000 deficit and doesn't matter if I am still in that deficit at the end of those 5 months... I am eating 1700, btw, my Bmr is around 1500/1600, and I walk around 15000 steps a day usually more and weight lifting/cardio 4/5 times a week... I just need to reach 123 lbs the 15th June ( I am 167) oh, and I am 5,8. 

I am logging my food in MyFitnessPal and try to eat as healthy as possible though practicing a IIFMM.

Any advice?

Thanks for reading this.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The larger your deficit is / the faster you attempt to lose weight, the sooner you will hit a wall and your weight loss will stall. Same the longer you stay in a deficit. I suggest watching the Losing All Your Weight at Once video (7m30s), which explains the reasons why.

Also, the fact you’re already in the normal weight range or close to it makes the case for a slower approach.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

A recommendation I see for pace of weight loss that makes sense to me is max. 1% of bodyweight per week. In your case (starting weight: 167, time: 20 weeks), that would bring you down to 137 pounds. Given that  – as you said yourself –  you’re already close to the normal weight range (BMI: 25.4), even that would be quite challenging.

I would put health ahead of work. You’re young and have your entire life in front of you: I’m sure you will have plenty of other opportunities, even if you don’t land the job for which you must reach a certain weight by June. Better lose more slowly, but at a sustainable pace and for lasting results. You may also not have to go as low as 123 to be at your optimal weight, health- and apparence-wise. 

I can relate to your numbers, btw, although I’m a guy and probably twice your age: I’m 174cm (5’ 8.5), started my Fitbit journey (six years ago) at 75kg (165 lbs) and reached an all-time low of 58 kg (128 lbs) last September. You can check the history (first three months missing) in Trendweight (link in my signature).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi ! Thanks for your answer ! I am not quite sure what to do, I guess I am still going to target 2 pounds a week and most likely stop when I'll like the way I look no matter what number is on the scale so I guess that will be before those 124. 

I am also a little scared of the weight-loss plateau and am not quite sure how to go through it...I haven't reach it for sure but I might in the next few months I guess... Any ideas if that happen?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The larger your deficit is / the faster you attempt to lose weight, the sooner you will hit a wall and your weight loss will stall. Same the longer you stay in a deficit. I suggest watching the Losing All Your Weight at Once video (7m30s), which explains the reasons why.

Also, the fact you’re already in the normal weight range or close to it makes the case for a slower approach.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the video ! I get it that I have to do some breaks. I heard about refeed days (not cheat days!) And diet break so I think I'll consider this seriously in my plan 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi All, this has maybe been asked before but cannot find it anywhere.  I have started a plan to lose weight.

The app tells me that amount I have eaten and gives amount still available to eat.  On average over the last few days I have been showing as under target despite eating approx. 1500 calories.  I don't want to get hung up on this but just wasn't understanding the graph.

Thanks

P.

Best Answer