Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000 Calorie Deficit too much?

Hey guys!

So lately I've been consistent in my walkings and exercising and lately I've been having a calorie deficit of 2000 daily.

I usually eat around 1500 - 2000 calories a day and burn off around 3500 - 4000 a day.

Is this fine? I'm not starving and I eat my main meals and healthy snacks, just want some advice on if this is good or not!

I am 180 cm / 100 kg at the moment and the goal is to get to around 80 kg by June/July if possible

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

@michaellumb22 wrote:

Hey guys!

So lately I've been consistent in my walkings and exercising and lately I've been having a calorie deficit of 2000 daily.

I usually eat around 1500 - 2000 calories a day and burn off around 3500 - 4000 a day.

Is this fine? I'm not starving and I eat my main meals and healthy snacks, just want some advice on if this is good or not!

I am 180 cm / 100 kg at the moment and the goal is to get to around 80 kg by June/July if possible

Thanks!

No it's not fine unless you have over 300 lbs to lose to healthy weight - that would be an extreme diet otherwise.

Great way to lose muscle mass, stress body out, and be part of the 80% that fail to reach goal weight or maintain for any decent time, and repeat again next year, but harder with stressed body with less muscle.

Now - what may be saving you is terrible food logging and you are actually eating more than you think, and inflated calorie burn so not actually burning what you think.

Just hope that is the case.

Like walking is more accurate calorie burn by formula for distance, not by HR which is for sure inflated to some degree.

Your other exercise may be similar.

Because you feeling full, and your body being fully fed for level of activity - are not related.

For vast majority - it is that issue that has them here trying to lose weight - think about it.

Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can take a while to show up slowly, and when finally discovered due to some side effect, sometimes some bad damage has been caused - shoot some people have to live rest of their lives with an ongoing issue.

Same with calorie deficiency that is too extreme.

Time based weight loss goals are just a bad idea as weight loss is not linear, and in fact should purposely be slowed down in rate before the body forces that on you by adapting to the foolishness.

For only 20kg to healthy weight I'm assuming, your loss should be no more than 0.68 kg/wk, about 750 cal deficit.

When you have 13.6 kg left, move to 500 cal deficit.

With 4.5 kg left, 250 cal deficit.

Unless you have a stressed body from some disease you deal with - that would be reasonable level of weight loss that would hopefully only be fat loss, though eating enough protein and doing resistance training is needed too.

Are you turning on a workout for the walks, or this is just increased daily walking?

The former would use HR-based calorie burn, latter would use distance with better calorie burn.

Other workouts?

Good question to ask, because ya, body getting 50% or less back than what it burns, bad idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Hi Heybales,

It is usually just walking / steps whilst in the house watching videos, it is possible I am eating a bit more because I don't log every little thing down (I usually just scan the barcode of my meals). I also complete a ab workout every night that usually takes around 15 minutes to complete, whilst stepping I sometimes use small dumbbells (like 2 kg) and raise them whilst stepping.  I also take multi vitamin / vitamin C tablets daily.

Should I just be eating more healthy food? or should I tone down the steps I'm doing? I currently am doing around 20k steps a day lately although I have been complimenting scaling it back to 15-17k and having more free time for other things in my life.

Cheers!

Best Answer
0 Votes

For that many steps accuracy starts to really matter for getting best estimates all around. It indeed may not be as bad as it appears on paper.

I'd walk a known distance track or path - 1 to 2 km, at average daily pace, 2.9 kph. That will usually seem slow and hard to do.

Start a workout when you start the distance, when you end workout see if distance was right on Fitbit for it.

Can adjust stride length setting after that because the workout will have how many steps done for that distance, just math it out for distance per step based on known distance not Fitbit distance.

Now it'll adjust each step stride length from grocery store shuffle to exercise pace walks with best potential possible.

And daily distance is what gives daily activity calorie burn. So better accuracy.

For 15 min of resistance training, that's small enough now I wouldn't worry about logging it.

Past the 1st week of diet that has more water weight in it, you can also judge your true deficit by actual results, as a guy I'll clarify, since women may read this - they require a month of data since their metabolism literally changes through the month.

For the weight ranges I gave above for deficit, the amount lost weekly workouts out to be:

now, 0.68 kg/weekly rate.

13.6 kg left, 0.45 kg/weekly loss rate.

With 4.5 kg left, 0.23 kg/weekly rate.

If you find yourself losing faster than that, you've left reasonable level. Sadly muscle mass when lost doesn't follow the same calorie content as fat when lost.

So if faster, time to eat more, keep the body happy and unstressed, keep any workouts you do strong, ect.

And more to eat can make it easier maybe. If you can't put down a bag of crisps perhaps not, but if having more calories allows you to have a serving of something you enjoy, follow the 80/20 rule applicable to much in life. 80% of calories for nutritious what your body needs - 20% enjoy yourself if you can adhere to it. Not that the 80% needs to be terrible to you, just perhaps not the fun treats you'd like to have.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

how do you guys regulate your calorie?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there, you shouldn't base everything on calorie intake. Everyone's body functions differently and because of that I never really liked counting how many calories I ate, how it transformed my body, and all of that stuff. Just listen to what your body needs, because it's telling you loud and clearly. Vitamins are also a great way to help your system function properly. Personally I only buy from the shop wellabs, because their products really work on me and I've recommended it to a few friends before as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FaviolaBrockied wrote:

how do you guys regulate your calorie?

Probably need to explain further what that question means?

Like how do you only eat so much?

How do you decide how much to eat?

How do you decide how much to burn?

Ect?

Best Answer