Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 pounds at a time

Trying to change my approach. Instead of constantly thinking of need to lose 40-50 pounds, I'm only thinking in terms of 5 pounds at a time.  Little bites at a time.  Anyone else use this approach? 

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Yes, I was setting 5 lb. weight loss goals and was meeting them at the beginning.  I think I have plauteaued now although I still have more to lose, so I just stepped it down to 3 lbs. for November.  Hope I make it.  I think it is easier mentally and physically to have smaller, more attainable goals.

Best Answer

I found that smaller multiple goals helped me as I saw more progress and wasn't beating up on myself for seeing how far I still had to go.  That and fitbit helps you celebrate when you reach your goal.  I just love getting those emails!

Best Answer
I like that approach...setting milestones
Best Answer

I changed my approach from years ago to "10 pound increments" and it is working.  Kind of like the "5 pound increments" though.  Quicker results, but I do weigh in once per week and my goal for weekly weigh-ins is 1 pound.  So, far, actually losing slightly over the 1 pound weekly goal, so that's motivating too.

Best Answer

Actually saw a 3 lb loss this past week and closer to that first 5 lb loss. I was more motivated to bring lunch to work and w/ the cooler weather in FL, it made walking at lunch more manageable.  The smaller milestone equals less pressure.  Feeling much more motivated. 

Best Answer

Thinking in small increments definitely worked for me. It's more encouraging.  When I was losing weight, I did it by trying to beat my last low weigh-in, even if it was only by 1 or 2 lbs.  Then that weigh-in became the new goal to beat. 🙂   

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Trying to change my approach. Instead of constantly thinking of need to lose 40-50 pounds, I'm only thinking in terms of 5 pounds at a time.  Little bites at a time.  Anyone else use this approach? 

CC,

Sounds like a good plan!  I didn't try to focus on my overall goal.  That would have been too much (130 pounds), so I chose 10 pound increments and created a spreadsheet to track the progress in weight loss.  Each time I lost another 10 pounds, I would change the background color to green (from yellow).  Over time, I also placed horizontal bars across the trend line for 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4's of the way to my overall goal of 170 pounds.

9 2/3 months later, I lost that 130 pounds, but was able to do it 10 at a time...wgt-01.jpg

Lew Wagner
Author of Losing It - My Weight Loss Odyssey
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
Best Answer

Congrats on your accomplishment! 

Best Answer
0 Votes