Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70,000 steps weekly?

ANSWERED

I have been maintaining 10,000 every day for almost 3 months. Initially I lost 14 lbs in the first 10 weeks. Now I have not lost anything for the past 2 weeksand I still watch my food and walk every day. Has my body accepted this 10,000 as my norm and is it now expecting more from me. I remember reading in the past that your workout has to be more that what you routinely do every day. Does this make sense?

Mickey

Shackamaxon

Best Answer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Are you nearing your goal weight?  If so, weight loss tends to slow.  Plateaus are not uncommon, either.  And with regard to your question, yes your body becomes more efficient as your general fitness improves.  And you are moving 14 fewer pounds around, too, so you are burning less with your steps than you were.  You could try shaking things up a little with your walking - intervals, for example.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

Yes, you are right.  Your body looks for the most efficient way to perform what you do repetitively, and can do so in as little as 2 weeks.  So, if you want to maintain a steady decrease in body fat, then you will need to change it up a little.  Walking is a great way to go, but make those small changes in the way you do it by changing the route you take to include hills, increase your speed, carry hand-weights, or simply try a different type of movement altogether, such as cycling.  However you do it, keep it fun and keep moving.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Are you nearing your goal weight?  If so, weight loss tends to slow.  Plateaus are not uncommon, either.  And with regard to your question, yes your body becomes more efficient as your general fitness improves.  And you are moving 14 fewer pounds around, too, so you are burning less with your steps than you were.  You could try shaking things up a little with your walking - intervals, for example.

Best Answer

I have ran into plateaus before....The way I overcome them is by increasing my steps and decreasing my calories.  I have a low metablism so you probably do not need to do both like I do but I would try one or the other.  Other people have mentioned lifting weights  and drinking more water also helps

Best Answer

Yes, you are right.  Your body looks for the most efficient way to perform what you do repetitively, and can do so in as little as 2 weeks.  So, if you want to maintain a steady decrease in body fat, then you will need to change it up a little.  Walking is a great way to go, but make those small changes in the way you do it by changing the route you take to include hills, increase your speed, carry hand-weights, or simply try a different type of movement altogether, such as cycling.  However you do it, keep it fun and keep moving.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have mine set differently as I need to build muscle from atrophy. I already walk over 10,000 steps a day and just need strength training and cardio training. As I need both every day, I have AM Isolated Strength Training and PM Cardio Training. All 7 days require both to be done to keep building to physical fitness.

Each day is isolated strength training. Chest, Back, Legs, Shoulders and Arms in the AM.

HR Interval Training up to 170 BPM max in the PM for 30 minutes.

Also concentrating on my eating habits. I'm on the Jenny Craig plan, whey protein, and no credit cards to avoid buying any extra foods. No Starbucks, DD, Subway, etc.

All of which helped reduce my body fat 1%-2% everyday and I drop on average of up to 6 pounds a week.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would be interested in knowing what kind of strength training you do and how you log it.  I especially need upper body strength.  My cardio is pretty good as I work to abnout 150-160 BPMand I am 70 yrs old.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i highly recommend strength training. its something different for your body and the more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn doing your daily activities. but if you choose to add weight training just know that muscle mass weighs more then fat and the scale may not show your results. i recommend weekly measurements if your going to add strenght training to track results. changing up your routine will shock your bosy again and you should start to see better weight loss. hope this helps! good luck on your journey!!!

Best Answer

There is a ceiling to effort.  Increasing the weekly effort is fine,  but past a basic level it increases the likelihood of injury.  And then the healtiest choice is to cut down most of those activities until it si over

Personally,  I slightly overdid my walking and have now a sciatica,  less would have been more.

Best Answer
0 Votes