Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

749 CAL DIET

I used my fitbit 3 years ago to lose weight successfully at 2 lb/week by walking 7-8 miles a week and eating 600-800 calories 6 days a week, but have put some weight back on.  I have just started again and set up for a 1.5 lb/week diet, adjusted my weight while my height and other details are the same as before.  

What concerns me is that my calorie allowance (without exercise) is 749 daily.  If I set up for a 2lb/week diet this would be another 250 calories less presumably.  This doesn't seem safe. I have been ill this week, unable to exercise and off my food, living mainly on soup.  But I am still over budget on calories.

Can anyone explain this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

You will probably need to lose weight much slower than 1.5 lbs a week...set a goal that you can achieve, even if it's only half a pound a week.

Having said that...I know how frustrating this can be...losing weight is not easy stuff and doing it slowly is somewhat disappointing. One way to do it is to add more activity so that you can eat a bit more. Also try to think of it as a long term thing...not a quick fix, then revert back to eating at your normal...make your "new" normal slightly lower, something you can maintain longer term...

Wishing you much success in your goals, and welcome to the forums!

Best Answer

@36swan,

Fitbit does not have a safety feature to set Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) as the minimum calorie allowance. I suggest eating your BMR every day and increasing exercise enough to get a 500 calorie deficit. If this doesn't work after a month and you are meticulously counting calories, increase to a 750 calorie deficit.

Best Answer

@GershonSurge I agree that anything less than your BMR is setting you up for failure. I have noticed that if I try to go below it, I don't have enough energy and my cravings are way too intense, which makes it super difficult to maintain and more likely I will gain the weight back afterwards...your body does not like going without,  so eating at least my BMR seems to do the trick for me.

I am not sure about the safety concern of eating less than your BMR...what about people who intermittently fast. They will eat less than their BMR on fasting days sometimes and from what I have read IF is a great long term strategy to maintain a healthy weight, and something I would definitely consider. I have done 16-18 hour fasts and done well, and on a few days, I was below my BMR. But I found that being below my BMR more than a couple of times a week sends my cravings through the roof...and for me it is not a sustainable way of living.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lavabelle,

There does seem to be some merit to intermittent fasting in special situations. True North in Santa Rosa, CA monitors patients on long fasts.

Seriously, I consider you more expert than I as your Trendweight  charts look perfect. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge you have successfully reached your goal weight, what you have to share is extremely helpful and validated by your chart as well...

I am really interested in IF as a long term solution to maintaining my weight after I have reached my goal. I am not sure it will work yet as I am extremely active, and don't plan on slowing down until I'm nearly dead 🙂 So when the time comes, I guess I will try it out and see what happens, in the meantime I have quite regularly "skipped" dinner and fasted for up to 18 hours and felt fine as long as I had a good healthy late breakfast and lunch the next day, I was able to remain as active.

Best Answer

@lavabelle,

What you are suggesting is a dramatic change to your current routine. A couple days ago, I realized we are all addicted to our current lifestyle. Any changes to a routine (even a routine of spontaneous variety) may cause the normal mood swings and physical changes that go along with breaking an addiction. 

You've mastered losing weight. If you gain a pound or two, I suggest doing what you've done for the past few months. If you lose a pound or two, simply add a meal or two to what you've been eating or make each meal a bit larger. 

I tend to be overconcerned about losing a pound since I'm afraid of freefalling a quick ten pounds. Because of this concern, I may be exaggerating how difficult it is to maintain.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge wrote:

@lavabelle,

What you are suggesting is a dramatic change to your current routine. A couple days ago, I realized we are all addicted to our current lifestyle. Any changes to a routine (even a routine of spontaneous variety) may cause the normal mood swings and physical changes that go along with breaking an addiction. 

Yes routines are very powerful!! and super helpful in maintaining weight. I will definitely continue to do what I am doing now to maintain. I would consider fasting as an option if something were to happen and I was unable to stay active.

I feel like we are getting off topic from the original poster's question, but I hope someone can take something useful from our conversation.

I quit smoking in 2005 after trying to quit for the previous 4 years, and when I finally quit, I had an extra 70 lbs of fat on my body. Once I set my mind to it, I shed the weight over the following year and was able to maintain that weight loss until about 2013-2014 when my life just got really stressful, and I also ended up with some medical issues, just life sometimes. Over the next few years I struggled with this extra weight until I was well enough to do something about it. I can lose weight and stay at a healthy weight if I am active, and being unable to be active kept me low physically and mentally.

Going forward, I don't ever want to put that weight back on, because from experience, I know it is not only damaging to my body physically, but it is also extremely damaging to my mental health. So knowing that life sometimes happens and things out of our control will sometimes derail us, Intermittent fasting is my plan B. I will explore IF if I cross that bridge. In life there is only one constant, and that is change. Life can change so quickly and so dramatically that I feel because I have been there, that I owe it to myself to be prepared.

I feel like I could remain at a healthy weight if my ability to remain active was taken from me with intermittent fasting. But this is something I still have to test. Right now what I am doing is working, and yes I am definitely using the power of habits formed to stay on track and will continue for as long as my life lets me 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@36swan,

Most people fail at least two or three times before successfully permanently losing weight. Others are never successful. Sometime, I'll merge the data from another account with my trendweight account so others can see more failure.      

As far as I know, all ways of losing weight involve calorie restriction. The trick is to restrict calories while never experiencing hunger and also remaining healthy. All forms of high fat low carb diets increase the likelihood of getting some degenerative disease. Uh oh, maybe you are on this type of diet. Don't panic.

In the short term, we eat food to get energy. Let's say any food will do this well enough. In the long term, we would also like to remain free of disease. Let's look at a common sense way of losing your famine reserve.

Suppose your BMR is 1500 calories. Let's say you get all those calories from nutritious vegetables including starches like rice, potatoes,  whole grain bread, oatmeal as well as leafy and cruciferous vegetables. If you get about 80% of your calories from starch and 20% of your calories from vegetables, you will get all the nutrients you need. This equates to about an equal volume of each. It will include about 8% fat.

Let's assume you burn 2,000 calories a day. Where will the extra calories come from? Your famine reserve. Essentially, your body won't feel like it's missing nutrients, so you won't feel hungry. 

Will you need to count calories? No. Fifteen hundred calories of this type of food is a lot of food. Eat when you feel hunger pangs or a little weak or when you feel like it. Think larger portions and up to six meals a day or more if you like.

It will be impossible for you to make this transition without interaction between changes. I suggest starting with oatmeal for breakfast as it's the simplest. Use any type of whole oats. Avoid the single packets as they contain added junk. To sweeten the oats, after cooking them, put half a banana on the bottom of the bowl. Add the oatmeal. Mix a handful of fresh or frozen blueberries, and put half a banana on the top. Microwave for 30 seconds to bring out the sweetness in the fruit. If you need to, add a small amount of sugar to the top.

While you are waiting for the oatmeal to cook, have a cup of finely chopped vegetables. You can use balsamic for flavor. The vegetables will provide a good dose of vitamins. You can eat the vegetables raw or microwave them to the texture you desire. Frozen mixed vegetables are fine.

Since you have been essentially fasting, expect to gain about 6-8 pounds the first week. This is because you will be replenishing your carbohydrate stores. Most of the gain will be water weight in your muscles and liver. It shouldn't show at all.

You may feel weak or hungry the first week. The cause of this is not eating enough. Eat more.

It will help if you give a list of the things you usually eat. Then, one food at a time, we can figure out a way to substitute a tastier and healthier food in place of those that are causing your weight gain.

Completing the process may take years of only losing a small amount of weight each month. There will likely be a couple setbacks.  Looking back after you are successful, it will feel like it happened almost overnight.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@36swan hey there... I am thinking that calorie intake is just really hard to sustain. I will admit when I was losing weight, I had a very low calorie intake. I had zero activity to be able to sustain it. I lost a bunch of weight in a short period of time. would I recommend it, ehh, maybe, if you are as single focused as I am and it isn't for a long period of time..but for most, the steady realistic calorie intake with activity goals is the way to go... good luck in your journey to fitness.. much success to you. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is your long term plan? What are you going to do after you reach your goal weight to maintain it? I am sorry if I am wrong, but it sounds to me that you think about this as a diet instead of a long term (rest of your life) lifestyle change. You lost it fast the first time around doing a crash diet and then gained some again. If you are not careful, you might end up in this cycle of losing and gaining and you will become very frustrated. I understand you want to lose this weight fast now, but maybe change your focus from losing weight fast now to creating a new healthy lifestyle. Which most likely means losing weight at a much slower rate that works better for your current size. Try to set yourself up for success in the long run, instead of getting into this cycle of losing and gaining. Create healthy habits that you can maintain instead of just focusing on short term weight, scales and calories.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer