Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

800 calories?

ANSWERED

Okay so here is the deal. I usually eat 800 calories a day, without calorie restriction. I just don't eat that much. I eat three meals and usually one/two small snacks.  I am a vegetarian, with few exceptions ( mostly mommas homemade stuff).If I eat less food I will die, LOL! This is a low and I know this but eating more food usually makes me sick. I am going to have to increase this as i get into more exercise. At the moment I am not tired, sluggish ect. This is my normal intake. Been this way for years. So my question is this, how do I lose weight? At the moment I am walking/ occasionally running 6 miles a day on the treadmill except Wednesdays. I tore a muscle in my leg so I can't do but so much. I don't watch my calories becuase they stay the same on a rare occasion I will get 1000. on average I do eat like 60-80 carbs. Let me know if that is to much or not enough.

I want to lose 25 more pounds of fat. I want to be healthy but not too skinny. I am wondering if you guys have advice on how to lose weight faster. I have been doing this for 2 weeks and have only lost 1 pound.

I take vitamins everyday: vitamin B-12, Biotin (B6), calcium, Magnesium, triple flex, Vitamin E, Vitamin K ect.

I use Quest protein bars and powders to get my protein ( yes I know not vegetarian, but I am on a budget here)

I usually eat a bar and 2 scoops of powder a day.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Also I can only do the tred at the moment, my leg still needs to be iced. insanity is my next venture.

Thanks guys,gals

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The only reason why I mention the eating disorder groups and a nutrionist is they are better trained than I am at helping you find ways to eat more.  They would have tips on how to slowly increase your diet. 

But let's look at your numbers.  First of all you say you are eating 800-1000 calories a day.

Your BMI is 24.8, which is the top of the healthy normal range.  So you can lose 10-20 lbs and still be in the healthy range.  Your BMR is 1407. 

I want to stop right there.  Your body should burn 1407 calories every day, just breathing, pumping blood, keeping you warm, digesting food...  So if all you did was lay in bed, and ate your 1000 calories, you would still be 407 calores short.  You body has to come up with ways to make up the difference.  So every single calorie you eat is being used every day. 

First you will be cold all the time.  Second, your body will burn as much muscle as it can.  Muscle burns more calories, so getting rid of muscle reduces your calories burned.  And if it's still short, it will then, and only then burn your fat reserves.  Since your are not losing weight, then your body much have reduced your metablism to a bare minimum and never hits the reserves.

Now you add calores burned from going to work, working, cooking, working out, etc.  And you are futher in the hole. Your body has to find the energy somewhere.  More muscle burned.

My wife was very much like you, ate around 800 calories a day, her bmi was 30.2, bottom of the obese range, her fat % was like 48% making her morbidly obese.  By just eating 1500-1800 calories a day, she lost over 32 lbs, and her fat % is now 39%.  Her BMI is 25.4.  While she is almost in a healthy weight range, she is still way too high for fat %.  She needs to get it down to 31% at least.

So bare minimum you need to eat at least 1407 calories.  Now let's look at the TDEE.  1934 calories to maintain your current weight.  Almost double what you are eating now.  I know hard to imagine isn't it.

1644, 1547, or 1451 or the number of calories you should eat to lose weight.  At 1451 you would roughly lose 1-2 lbs a week.

So I hope you see why you are not losing weight, and I hope you see why you need to eat more.  I hope you see how you are eating less than half the calories you need just maintain your weight.  Note that the TDEE 1451 (25%) Extreme, is an extreme weight loss number of calories.  It isn't recommended to go below this.  And you eating a diet around 50%.

So you need to get your diet up to 1451 minimum!  I know you are probably thinking how and the hell am I going to do this?

First of all do is slowly.  You say you eat 5 times a day, try to make it 6 or 7 times.  Try adding a little more calories to each meal.  Take your time, but build your way up to one of the TDEE levels.  God I've never told this to anyone, but if you are stilling struggling, drink a coke.  Soda has totally empty calories, but the fact is you need them.

I'd be willing to be cash money, that once you get your diet above 1200 calories, you will start to lose weight.

Now as far as the Macros are concern, I personally think they are are worthless when losing weight.  They are very important when you want to add muscle during weight training, but other than that they are meaningless.  Just eat real food, protein, fat, carbs, doesn't matter.  You're eating so little, that every calorie you eat will be used.  Regardless of if's a carb, protein, or fat. 

Try adding cheese to everything.  Try eating high calories vegetables and fruits, nuts, etc.  Eat lots of bread.  I know you have issues with eating meat, but if you can sneak a little in, here and there, it's high in protein and your body needs that to rebuild your muscles.

Keep exercise to 30 minutes or less every other day until you get your diet under control.

Monitor your weight, but don't freak out if it starts going up.  Chances are your body will be rebuilding lost muscle.  If you don't have a aria scale to measure fat percentage, get a clothing tape measure.  And measure your thighs, chest, stomach, waist, arms, etc.  Write them all down. Take your measurements weekly.  If you see your weight go up, but your body getting smaller, that what you want!  Means your fat % is going down, and your muscle mass is going up.  If you see the oppossite, keep eating at that level, but add more exercise.  When you see your weight is stable again, start increasing your diet again.

You're going to need lots of patience.  And you're going to have to find ways to eat more.  A lot more.  Like twice what you ate on a 800 calorie day.

Once you get your body up the minimum TDEE, they can start exercising more.  Lift weights.  Work on strength training to rebuild your muscles.

You have a long road ahead of you, but you can do it, you will get the results you want.

Good luck! 

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
28 REPLIES 28

What kind of sick do you get?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sure others will give more information, but 800 calories a day is way too low.  As you said, you can't eat less, but ramping up activity on that low a calorie count likely won't help you long term.  I see you've lost a lot of weight (congrats).  In a way though this is why I think people shouldn't cut their calories too early on a long weight loss journey.

As a vegetarian, adding avocados, nuts, in other words more fat can raise your calories without adding meat or even a lot of bulk to your diet.  However, depending on how long you've been eating 800 calories a day, this is almost certainly going to cause a weight increase.  I found the following link last week and I think it's maybe a good one for you to look at and read.

http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/

You need to find a way to raise your daily calorie intake (slowly) in order to eventually get back to a healthy calorie intake.  Once you're there, cutting calories will be an option to lose weight.  Best of luck.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am a high-carb vegan and very slender. No calorie restricting ever. Just an abundance of whole, plant-based foods.

You need real food, not protein bars or powders. Yes, they are fine on occasion or post-workout, but since you eat so little, they make up a large portion of your diet. You need to be eating a wide variety of whole, plant based foods that provide ample nutrients and minerals.

A combination of raising your calorie intake and increasing activity will help. If you can't run, try short walks or maybe light swimming.
Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

You really need to eat to lose weight. 800 Calories a day is way to low

You need a balanced diet, Fruit, Protein, veggies, healthy fats.

You might lose at first. but it wil stall as you are not giving the body what it needs

I wish you the best.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with the other posters. 800 calories is too low.  My wife ate about once a day, around 800 caloires, and she was gaining weight.  We got her a fitbit Blaze and discovered she walks around 10,000 - 20,000 steps a day just taking care of our animals.  So she was clearly getting enough exercise.

I got her to eat around 1500-1800 calories a day, without any other changes she's lost over 30 lbs.  Her fat % is getting better.  Her BMI fell from 30.1 to 26.  And she's almost in the normal range.  Her fat % was very high, but it's still toward the top of the overweight range.  So even though her weight has come down, her lean muscle mass is low.  So that's the next project for her.  She going to have to lift weights and bulk up to drop the fat %.

When you eat so few calories, your body considers it a famine.  And so your body primariliy burns MUSCLE instead of the food you eat.  It stores every bit of FAT from your limited diet, so your lean muscle mass drops and your fat % goes up and up.  But lowering your lean muscle mass, you body reduces the number of calories it needs to burn each day.

So no amount of exercise at this point is going to help you lose weight, it will just make things worse as your body has to burn more muscle further reducing your calores you burn each day, and increasing your fat %.

You need to eat at least 1200-1300 calories a day minimum.  1200-1300 calories a day without eating meat is going to be tough but not impossible.  But your going to have to eat and eat and eat a ton of veggies to do it. 

Take a look at this page.  These are high in calorie foods.  Stick to the the non meat items.  Eating these should help you increase your calories eaten.

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/most-deceiving-foods-they-have-more-calories-you-think

And take a look at this site for some ideas that are high in protein.

http://bembu.com/high-protein-vegetarian-foods

As for your legs needing to be iced, I hate to say it again, but the calorie diet is probably the issue.  You are exercising, which can cause microtears in the muscles.  Since your body isn't getting enough to eat, it does not have the protein to repair the damage to your muscles.  Worse your body is burning muscle.  You are creating a vicious pattern that is going to, or already has done, serious damage to your metabolism.  Damage that may take years to recover from. 

Bottom line, you need to eat a lot more, probably twice as many calories as you are eating now.

Assuming you have medical insurance, most insurance plans allow you to see a nutrionist for free.  Make an appointment with them.  Have them help you find a better diet, and stick with it. Don't fall back to old habits.

If you continue the way you are going, you will end up stick thin, very unhealthy, and may even lose your life.  Your body can only burn so much muscle, then it will finally start to burn the fat.  But at that point you are very close to death from starvation. 

I'm 209 lbs now.  I was eating 1800 calories a day.  I was watching my fat % fall for a long time, but once I got down to around 215, my fat % started to go up, my lean muscle mass started to fall.  I had to increase my diet to 2000-2100 calories, and now my fat % is falling again, and my lean muscle mass is going back up. 

If you don't have a Aria, or similar scale that can monitor your fat %, I highly recommend you get one.  You'll be able to see subtle weight changes that your Weight alone can't show you.  What you want to see is that your weight go down a little, stay the same or even go up, your fat % going down, Lean mass increasing or staying the same.  It's ok if your lean mass goes up, and your weight go up.  That means you are putting on muscle, and the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. 

With your diet, I suspect you are seeing your Weight go up, your fat % go up, and your lean mass fall. 

You really need to eat more.  Good luck! 

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer

So I have read everything you all said. I figured people would get on me about my calories. I have been eating that way for about 8 years or so. Its just my natural number. I didn't realize it till I starting food Logging years ago before fitbit was invented ( hand written). So my question is, How do I increase my calorie Intake without go over my carb intake?

I get about 80-100 grams of protein a day from nut bars and protein bars and shakes. The bars and shakes where put in to add more calories. Without those I would be eating rounded 400 calories less a day.

I have no problem increasing calories.

However I used to weight almost 300 pounds, I can't start gaining weight again.

I will try to do 1000 calories, the problem is I was vegan for years and did alot of juicing and my stomach can't hold but so much food. So i will stretch it over time.

I just want to do this the right way, the whole point of the journey I started about 8 years ago was to not die young. I was border line diabetic, hypertension, blood pressure problems ect. and that was when I was 17. So If you have any advice I would appreciate it.

What do i do about my carbs? eating fruit adds up to carbs and I don't do bread alot. Rarely to be honest.

THANK YOU!!! for all the informative response, I am still figuring this out. You guys are great.

PS: My muscle tore when I was larger and they believe that it was due to compartment syndrom. So i got tested, worst experience ever. So my leg swells because of that,which inturn makes the area where I tore my muscle hurt. But that is a valid point and I didn't consider that.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am a high-carb vegan and weigh 117lbs at 5'5. I smash in potatoes, beans, fruit, etc. Carbs are not the problem. Calories in, calories out. Getting enough calories so your body isn't desperately holding on to energy.

I used to be anorexic. I was down to less than 500 calories a day and it became hard to lose weight. My body was literally starving and trying to hold onto everything it could.

I understand the small stomach thing. When I started my eating disorder recovery, my stomach was so tiny from all the starvation. So I met with my nutritionist who suggested increasing my in take slowly, adding peanut butter, nuts, and avocados that were high in fat and calories, but the portions wouldn't upset my stomach.

Honestly, your answers are concerning to me. You sound scared to gain weight, panicked over carbs, unnaturally concerned with macros. I would seek out a nutritionist who can learn more about your health and wellness and give you qualified, safe, professional advice based on your medical history.
Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Whit88,

If you keep eating that much protein you will eventually develop kidney problems and gallstones.

There is another issue you should at least consider. Increasing calories rapidly from this level can cause refeeding syndrome. In rare cases, this can result in heart failure and death. To be on the safe side, just increase a couple hundred calories a day or so. If you have already eaten a big meal, don't worry about it if you aren't dead yet. 

Somewhere along the line, you learned to fear carbs. There is no process in the body to turn carbs into fat. Fat comes from fat. 

Most likely, everything wrong with your body now can be reversed through a healthy diet. 

Rather than listen to some old guy you don't know on the internet, I suggest watching these twelve videos by Dr. McDougall. Then go to his website, find his contact information and send an email. He will reply fairly quickly. 

I agree with Financebabe that what you wrote is a bit disturbing and beyond the help of most here.

A nutritionist is a great option if you have insurance. If not, go to Dr. McDougall's forum and address your questions to Jeff Novak. He is a nutritionist for Dr. McDougall. He will even do telephone consultations. (The latter aren't free.) 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will throw up if I eat alot at once. Thats why I think my stomach has gotten to small. I have up'd it to 900 calories and seem to be doing fine. I think the trick is a little at the time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge wrote:

Somewhere along the line, you learned to fear carbs. There is no process in the body to turn carbs into fat. Fat comes from fat. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have been under the impression the whole "fat comes from fat" theory has long since been debunked.

Speaking strictly from observation, some of the most unhealthy looking people I know are strict adherents of a low fat diet.  For my part, I refuse to do low fat anything; I buy the fat end of the rib for my Rib-Eye steaks and I go from there.  🙂

Best Answer

NO, NO, not at all. I have just worked hard to get where I am at. I didn't do anything but start exercising and eating right. I started out going on the McDonalds diet. I went from a big mac to a quarter pounder to a happy meal. Its not that bad. I just don't want to go back to weighting 300 pounds it took alot of hard work and determination to get where I am at today. I changed everything to be healthy. I take adderall and it make me not hungry, unfortunately I have to take it. Trust me I am all over the place when I am off it, lol.

I am just trying to figure out how to eat right, I thought carbs in a diet would equal immediate weight gain. So i try not to go overboard with it. I didn't even realize my calories were bad until people started telling me it was. I just eat when I am hungry.

I do stay away from artificial sugars as I was almost a diabetic once.

Please don't worry, I would never do that to myself. I want to be healthy. I just don't know how to at this point, the advise has helped alot. i have read all the links and made notes. I am just not sure what I am suppose to be watching as far as food intake. I started this in high school while my family was still eating twinkies and ho ho's.

As my eating habits changed I also managed to get my mom off of her meds and she lost about 30 pounds and my dad lost 40.

Its not a I will do anything to keep it off, Its a I want to make my body healthy so I can set a good example other people who have struggled like I have.

Don't worry please I want to do this the healthy way. When you are as fat as i used to be then you will realize why its your worst nightmare to go back to that again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge wrote:

Whit88,

If you keep eating that much protein you will eventually develop kidney problems and gallstones.

There is another issue you should at least consider. Increasing calories rapidly from this level can cause refeeding syndrome. In rare cases, this can result in heart failure and death. To be on the safe side, just increase a couple hundred calories a day or so. If you have already eaten a big meal, don't worry about it if you aren't dead yet. 

Most likely, everything wrong with your body now can be reversed through a healthy diet. 

Rather than listen to some old guy you don't know on the internet, I suggest watching these twelve videos by Dr. McDougall. Then go to his website, find his contact information and send an email. He will reply fairly quickly. 

I agree with Financebabe that what you wrote is a bit disturbing and beyond the help of most here.

A nutritionist is a great option if you have insurance. If not, go to Dr. McDougall's forum and address your questions to Jeff Novak. He is a nutritionist for Dr. McDougall. He will even do telephone consultations. (The latter aren't free.) 

Holy crap! I had no idea, So can you tell me how much protein is  a safe amount. And again don't worry. I addressed her comment earlier. I have a healthy image of myself no worries there. I also hate to vomit, i would rather have the flu, strep throat and shingles at the same time then vomit once.

I was trying to keep my percentage of protein higher than my carb intake. Is that wrong?

With what everone has said i cut my exercise back to 6 miles a day, not wanting to burn muscle. I have increased my food by 100 calories a day. Do i need to drop my protein as well?

The statement about fearing carbs is true I thought they did turn into fat. I thought that if you ate to many carbs and didn't exercise enought to burn them off then they would turn into fat.

I have been thinking about this all wrong,lol!

Sadly I did see a nutritionist, it was a while ago, well like 6+ years. To her credit I don't remember alot of what she said I was young.

Any advise on the protein intake would be appreciated, and if you have time to break down the why carbs aren't bad thing that would be cool.

Thanks again

Best Answer
0 Votes

@shipo wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have been under the impression the whole "fat comes from fat" theory has long since been debunked.

I believe you are correct.  My fat % runs anywhere from 35+ most weeks and not only have I lost weight,  but I've gone down in bodyfat%.  However, like others, I'm not going to argue the point to death.  Smiley Indifferent

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

@GershonSurge wrote:

Speaking strictly from observation, some of the most unhealthy looking people I know are strict adherents of a low fat diet.  For my part, I refuse to do low fat anything; I buy the fat end of the rib for my Rib-Eye steaks and I go from there.  🙂

@shipo,

Actually, it's the other way around. The theory that fat comes from carbs has been debunked. It was based on a study in the 50's with lab mice (or maybe rats.) Humans don't have the process to turn carbs into fat. (Reference).

What makes people overweight is the fatty food they eat with carbs like potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, etc. It's easy to turn a 200 calorie base into a 1,000 calorie meal full of fat.

I agree many vegetarians look unhealthy. Look at the elite runners for a marathon for an example.

Many vegetarians ARE unhealthy because their diet includes a lot of oils. Others juice, which removes much of the beneficial nutrients. Some go on almost fruit only diets. They are ultra-thin and unhealthy just like others are obese and unhealthy. Some vegetarians live on alcohol and cigarettes. Many vegetarians inadvertently calorie restrict to an unhealthy level.

Given a person at a normal body weight, their body type will be based on genetics and the type of exercise they do. If a person doesn't do resistance training, their muscles will atrophy and they get that unhealthy look. This is apparently harmless while a person is young, but as they get older, they may not be able to do things like get up after falling. Overweight people have the same problem as they have no muscles under the fat.

I'd write more, but I think some Pokemon are calling. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Whit88,

Dr. McDougall steadfastly avoids giving macro percentages in most cases. However, he did in a book he wrote in 1991. (Twelve Days to Dynamic Health.) If I wasn't familiar with the McDougall way of eating, I'd have been left thoroughly confused about what to eat.

However, in this book, he did mention a 15% limit to proteins to avoid kidney damage. He said the physiology of the kidneys change above this level. This book doesn't have any references, which is another disadvantage.

The other level is 15% proteins from animal fats. This comes from "The China Study" which few read and many criticize. In an experiment that has been repeated many times, animal protein above this level gives cancer cells permission to multiply. 

I'd prefer to have you watch the videos as the order of presentation is important to understanding the reasons for this way of eating. He also explains the various research studies.

Best Answer
0 Votes

GershonSurge wrote:

@shipo,

Actually, it's the other way around. The theory that fat comes from carbs has been debunked. It was based on a study in the 50's with lab mice (or maybe rats.) Humans don't have the process to turn carbs into fat. (Reference).

As I understand it:

• Carb (especially complex carbs) do NOT cause fat.
  • Fat (as in natural fats, not crap like CANOLA) do NOT cause fat.
  • Sugar (especially highly refined sugars and HFCs) DO cause fat.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Carbs are the easiest fuel for out bodies to turn into Glucose.  Glucose is either burned immediately, or turned into glycogen. Some gylcogen is stored in our muscles.  Excese glycogen, however in a very inefficient method, can be turned into fat.  It's a very poor process around 30% efficient.  The study one of you mentioned, even mentions this. 

Fat in turn can be turned into Glucose, and then back into Glycogen.

However any conversion of Fat to Glucose or glycogen to fat is very hard for our bodies do to. 

Excess protein, (any protein not used to build/repair muscles) is also turned in to Glucose, which is turned into glycogen.  And excess Glycogen is turned into fat.

Bottom line our bodies burn glucose.  They try to use carbs first because it's the easiest to convert. 

After that excess protein, or muscle if you are starving yourself, are turned into glucose. 

Fat which is the hardest for our bodies to use, is only then turned into glucose when there isn't enough carbs or protein to use. 

Which is why it's so **ahem** hard to lose weight.  You have to out burn your carbs, and protein intake, and force you body to burn fat.  It really doesn't want to do this.  So this makes that much harder.

Which is why low carb, high fat diets work, only because you are forcing your body to burn the most inefficent fuel it has. 

But anything you eat can be stored as fat.  Just some things are easier to do than others.

Best Answer

@JohnRi wrote:

Fat which is the hardest for our bodies to use, is only then turned into glucose when there isn't enough carbs or protein to use. 

Which is why it's so **ahem** hard to lose weight.  You have to out burn your carbs, and protein intake, and force you body to burn fat.  It really doesn't want to do this.  So this makes that much harder.

Regarding burning fat; I don't profess to know all of the ins and outs of fat burning, however, in the distance running community there is a truism which says, "If one runs at the very least one 90+ minute run per week (two or three is better), your body is forced to develop more mitochondria, which in turn allows you to augment glycogen with fat as a fuel your muscles during a long run."

As the argument goes, those who "hit the wall" during a marathon have A) exhausted their glycogen supplies and B) typically haven't trained well enough to fully develop their mitochondria to the point where fat can also be burned at a sufficient rate to maintain performance.

Is this "truism" actually true?  Don't know.  That said, a couple of years ago I got roped into running on an Ultra Relay team for a 6-Person relay which covered 205 miles in a bit over 24 hours.  Funny thing, I didn't really understand what I'd agreed to until the team van picked me up at my office and A) I saw five "late 20s and early 30s" runners, all of whom were at least 25 years younger than I was at the time, and B) when they showed me the 6 legs I was supposed to run.  The good news was they took pity on me and gave me one of the shorter leg sets; only 32.8 miles, however, those miles also included some 2,500' of climbing.

As the relay got underway, my age and weight (5' 8" and about 215 at the time) were fully on display.  However, as the later stages of the relay came around, I got faster and faster on each of my run segments; four of the other five runners got significantly slower.  In the end I averaged a bit over nine minutes a mile for the full 32.8 miles, and with per mile pace times faster than two of my 20-something team mates.  What does this have to do with burning fat and mitochondria?  Simple, I had been training a minimum of 8 to 10 miles per day, 7 days per week, and usually threw in at least one 12 to 15 mile run per week.  I rather doubt I would have done so well if I hadn't been able to burn some of my (considerable) fat supplies during the relay.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That was fasincating read there @shipo.  You are correct, having more mitochondria makes it more efficient for your body to convert fat into glucose.  You can only get more mitochondria by requiring your body to burn fat regurarliy.  Fascinating.  The more I think I know how the body works, the more I find out I know so very little.

I'm considering going back to college to work on a BS in diet, exercise and nutrition.  I'm finding my weight loss really interesting, and I'm considering changing careers...

I certainly do know the wall.  When I first started walking it used to hit during mile 2 or mile 3 when I ran out of glucose and gylycogen.  Now I never notice it.

Best Answer