Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A very good book to read

I've been wearing a Fitbit for years trying to monitor and improve my health and recently I came across a fantastic book that is very educational and scientific - if you want to know how things work in your body then read The Story of the Human Body by Daniel E. Lieberman - it starts off describing how we evolved to become modern humans in the first half of the book, this has little descriptions of health but describes the environment that we all started off living in which is a very significant part of our bodies and our health these days.  The second half of the book goes into extreme explanations of health and diseases that we live with but most of the time we have no idea how they happen ... once you read this book you will know the answers.

Understanding everything may mean that you have to read the book twice but it will educate you to degree level understanding of how your body gets to be health or unhealthy.  It's extremely helpful!

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Thanks for the recommendation @EdmundC.  I just downloaded it.

A few months ago I was listening Danial Lieberman talk about his new book ‘Exercise: Why Something We Never Evolved to do is Healthy and Rewarding.’ After the podcast, and reading his book, I feel like a have a better sense of why ‘Calories In, Calories Out’ isn’t the end all, be all of weight maintenance and why we need exercise even if doesn’t necessarily get us to a ‘health weight.’

If you like to encourage others to get more active, I have a monthly challenge on the ‘get moving’ forum. Please join in.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Thank you for your book recommendations @EdmundC and @Baltoscott. I'll check those books.

I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics.

Keep on visiting the forums. 

Best Answer

The book starts out talking about how we have evolved - this is something that, when you are aware of it, explains many of the issues that we see in our everyday lives; so understanding how we because the entities that we are today means that Dan's detailed explanations are much easier to understand.  Reading the book is very much like attending university lectures, you end up thinking hard about everything that he describes and understanding how your health today may relate to the environment that you grew up in.  The book is both science and education ... 

Maybe I'll get to the discussions board in the future but these days I'm just too busy helping many researchers in a wide range of distantly related fields.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank for the the book recommendation, @EdmundC! It definitely sounds like my type of book. 

I will check it out. 😀 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back to us @EdmundC

What you have described makes me to read this book even more. 

Thank you for sharing it with us. 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that Fitbiters would find it very helpful because once you've read the book from start to end you will understand what a lot of the Fitbit suggestions are about and (I think that this is very helpful) you start to realized how we as humans got to be needing to do these things.  Like regular exercise, not eating too much sugar etc., - we don't "have" to do these things, but doing them can have a good influence on how we live.  We're always being told "you have to exercise" but once you read the book you will understand why it helps, because that's the way we evolved.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow @EdmundC ! I really don't like exercising... 😥 I know it's good because I get more mobility when I exercise but sometimes it's hard. 

Once again, thank you for sharing this with us. 

Keep on visiting the forums. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for sharing!

Best Answer
0 Votes