Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice

I have started losing weight at the beginning of February and it was halted in June until September because of something serious and now I'm back into it.  My weight began at 260 and I was not happy and realized I needed to do something about it, so, I noticed a coworker, who was once chunky and is now slim and toned, walking by and asked them what they did.  They told me about a 15 Day Challenge that mixed MMA/Aerobics.  I did it and was amazed by the results.  I even gave all my unhealthy foods to coworkers and friends and started new.  I lost a total of 60 pounds until two months ago where I hit one of few weight plateaus.  It will not go move downward.  I go to the gym five days a week and I even go for 5 mile walks in the morning before work.  I eat a 1200 calorie diet only in the morning after my walk and keep to a strict One-Meal-A-Day-Diet.  It was what kept me losing the pounds.  I have started doing HIITs and even doing one week of eating high fats and carbs so I can go back to my high lean protein, low carb/sugar/sodium diet.  Could someone give me pointers on what I could do to help break this plateau.  I was hoping by the end of November I would be under 200, a dream that would make me cry with joy.  I stay away from processed foods, no sugar unless it came with the veggies and fruits ( I even stay away from the veggies and fruits that have a large amount of natural sugars ), and low sodium foods.  I basically just eat tuna, eggs, and salad.  I also drink organic green tea everyday and my body is starting to tone quite well but the weight has started to increase now.  What am I doing wrong?  I would welcome some insight and possibly shed some light onto this situation.  Yes, before anyone asked, I have talked with my doctor about this so I am doing everything right and no, I do not have any health issues to keep my weight from lessening.  Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

You are not doing anything wrong though.  Weight plateau is a normal occurrence during weight loss as the body metabolism is catching up with less caloric intake.  Some weight gain might be noticed during the weight plateau and this case, do not lower further or exercise more to combat this gain.  Just eat normal and exercise normally as you would and be patient.  The weight plateau can last from 1 to 3 months.  3 months is the ideal rest break to give your body before you go towards more weight loss.  The human body does not like to loose weight.  It's designed to keep you alive; so any threats and stress from loosing weight is translated into you "dying or surviving from a catastrophic event".  Which is why you are in this plateau, because your body believes it is keeping you alive.  The weight gain is the function of your body to replenish the necessary nutrients and minerals lost during the weight loss.  When you diet (lessen your caloric input), you will ALSO LESSEN your minerals and nutrients intake compared before you start loosing the weight.  It's inevitable, so your body needs to adapt to these changes before allowing you to loose more.  Weight loss is a marathon; be patient and enjoy the weight loss.  It's not one of those 6 months you become so thin and fit.  Those people who do that will eventually gain all of their weight back and some more.  They never allowed their bodies to adapt to the changes, so their bodies wanted to get back to where it wants to be.

The most important thing is, not the weight, but whether your waist line, your hips and neck circumference are getting thinner.  If they are, then you are loosing body fat and that is your goal.  Weight itself does not really tell you much about how much body fat you are loosing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It’s not a plateau. If you changed your exercise routine (adding HIIT) and eating habits (including a high carb week) it’s not a plateau. If you can see fat loss (toning) it’s not a plateau. It’s likely water retention from the changes you did to your exercise routine and eating habits.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Pho_Tai.  I would try to slow things down a bit. 

You have been eating 1200 cal/day long enough to drop from 260 lbs to 200 lbs -- nearly 1/4 your body weight.  That is quite an accomplishment and you probably just need a diet break. 

At this point your body seems to have adapted to a low calorie intake as normal. and has down-regulated your metabolism in an attempt to survive.  That is why you are stuck.  To get back to a normal metabolism, you will probably need to eat more for a while. (As a point of reference, a 200 lb woman at a sedentary job with an 'active' exercise profile probably burns around 2500-2700 calories/day.  Put your numbers in the NIH body weight planner for a closer approximation of what you should be able to burn once you get back to normal). 

So, if you increase your calories by 500-800 or so -- to around 2000 -- for a few months, and keep your exercise at a level you feel like you can maintain long term, you should get back to the point where you reduce your weight by reducing your calories.  In fact, after a brief increase in weight at 2000 calories, you may even start to lose weight again simply because your body will adapt to a more normal level of daily calories.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Thanks for the information, it was helpful.  I did manage to pass that hill and continue to my weight loss struggle and now going strong.

Best Answer
0 Votes