Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Calorie in/out thread... Im still confused!

FitBit ScreenshotSo I'm trying to understand this... I have a 1,900 calorie food goal which I calculated on another site, to hit a certain weight by a certain month.  I'm under that goal since I ate 1,784. But it's saying that I'm over budget.  The screenshot was taken around 8pm.

Now it's saying that I'm "In The Zone" at 10pm.  It seems like it takes my Total Out which is 3,575 at 10pm, and subtracts my food intake (1,784) for a total of 1,791.  Since it's close to my 1,900 goal, I'm assuming that's why I'm in the green. And since I still have 2 more hours, I'm guessing it'll tell me I'm Under.

Why is it going through all of these steps? Why doesn't it take what I ate, and compare that total to my goal to determine if I'm in the green?  That seems simpler, no?

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

There are 2 settings you can chose from for your calories burned. You have it like me on "sedentary". This means that you can eat for what you burned so far during that day minus the deficit you put in. So in the morning it will be very low and as the day progresses it increases. It will increase due to calories burned during exercise as well as calories simply burned for being alive and breathing. So indeed, you might be over at 8 p.m. and then end up in the zone at 10 p.m. as you burned calories within those 2 hours that are then credited towards your calories out.

The other setting is "personalized". That uses your past activity history to estimate your calorie burn for the entire day and increases or decreases if you are more or less active than usual.

So with the first setting you only see what you burned during that day and with the second you get an estimation in the morning that gets updated during the day.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

In addition to the answer you’ve already received from @Esya, you may want to have a look at Fitbit’s Food Plan Demystified, a series of four (longish/detailed) posts made by a user that many people have found useful.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes