Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to lose weight

Hi all Smiley Very Happy

For the past year or so I've been attempting to lose some weight as I technically am overweight. I've been struggling to lose weight, despite playing sports 4 days a week plus hitting the gym (though I do work at a desk).

I'm pretty sure that my problem is portion sizes when I eat, or if I do eat healthy i don't seem to have the willpower to be able to keep it up for an entire week and will end up eating out rather than eating what I have prepared.

Does anyone have any suggestions to keep me on track? I would appreciate any advice Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Can you provide some more info on yourself? What is "some weight" you are looking to lose? Losing 10-15 pounds is not the same as losing 100-150 pounds, requires different strategies. You appear to be male, relatively young and reasonably active, which should make losing weight easier (you should be able to lose weight while still eating a decent amount of food). How much does your Fitbit say you burn in average per day? 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ahndee wrote:

I'm pretty sure that my problem is portion sizes when I eat, or if I do eat healthy i don't seem to have the willpower to be able to keep it up for an entire week and will end up eating out rather than eating what I have prepared.

To me it sounds like you know what the problem is. Maybe log your calories intake for a few weeks and then see where you can get some quick wins without making too big changes. It helped me a lot understanding what the calorie dense foods are and which foods I can eat as much as I like.

And changing habits can be hard. Maybe start with eating healthy 2 days a week and then in some time make it 3 days. After a while again make it 4 days. That might be a lot easier to get into that habit.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Sorry, wasn't sure what to mention Smiley Happy I'm 24, hoping to lose between 10-15kg (~33 pounds) currently 90KG (198 pounds I'm burning ~3100cals/day on average. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks! I'll most definitely give that a try Smiley Very Happy really appreciate it! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ahndee wrote:

Sorry, wasn't sure what to mention Smiley Happy I'm 24, hoping to lose between 10-15kg (~33 pounds) currently 90KG (198 pounds I'm burning ~3100cals/day on average. 

If you could eat "only" 2500 calories (which is actually quite a lot) and have an average 600 calories deficit, you would lose 2.2 kg per month, i.e. 10 kg in 4 ½ months. Logging your food for a while, as suggested by @Esya, would be helpful. You’d also need to assess whether Fitbit is overestimating your expenditure. For that, you can use an online calculator such as this one. The calculator has five standard activity levels. I can make a suggestion based on your average step count.

Some of the best general weight loss advice I’ve found over the years is what I mentioned in this recent post.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer