Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recommendations on free calorie counting apps?

So I had a Amazon Halo that I got for only 20 bucks that I can switch to, its pretty similar to my Charge 2 in size and so far I like it, but I really like the easy calorie counting with the fitbit app. And its free. Anyone using other apps that have a good library of food that is easy to track? I love being able to just scan a barcode and everything I have ever scanned pops up right away with accurate calories.

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

Hello @zipple and welcome to the Community.  I'm moving your post to the Manage Weight forum, one of the Health and Wellness forums.  I think it is a better fit for your question.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you like the food tracker in the fitbit app, why switch? As you you point out, it is free. 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I've been using this app called Autopilot Diet for a couple months now and I really like it.  It has a free level and there's a bar code scanner and it seems to have a pretty good library of food.  It tracks your calories by week, so if you over or under eat, it adjusts the rest of the days for you, which I really like.  There's no way to sync your tracker to it, though. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Correction - I guess you can sync a tracker to it.  I'm not sure if you can do that on the free tier.  I haven't done so. 

Best Answer

So you'd use the Halo instead of the Charge 2?  You might check with their community to see what people who don't pay the $3.99 fee, which would give you that feature, are using.  Personally, I'd probably pay the fee...  So much easier to have everything in one place and calculate calories burned with calories consumed.

I've never really been tied to any brand names, and theirs looks decent, depending on what you are wanting it to do.  If you are really wanting to avoid a subscription fee, there are lots of free nutrition calculators available.  I used MyFitnessPal to calculate recipe nutritional valules at one point.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am an RN, and help people with weight loss and fitness goals, along with my husband who is a fitness coach. (Simple and affordable program btw). I love my Fitbit app but since some people don’t have a Fitbit, and since I pay for premium program and am not sure if the barcode scanner is free with Fitbit, I recommend either Lose It! Or Lifesum. Both are great options. While Lifesum also tracks water and it doesn’t have pop up ads like Lose it!, Lose it! organizes food a little better by alphabetizing them. Do you know if the free Fitbit app does barcode scanning? 

Best Answer

Hi. 🙂 Yes, I'm using MyFitnessPal and it's working well. There's a huge library, though I tend to put it in as homemade. And, it syncs with the FitBit, so any steps are taken into consideration on your daily calorie allowance.

Best Answer

MyFitnessPal is a popular choice, known for its extensive food database and barcode scanning feature. It allows you to track your meals, scan barcodes, and provides accurate calorie information. Lose It! is another app that offers a comprehensive food database and barcode scanning functionality, making it easy to track your calorie intake. FatSecret is a user-friendly app with a large food database and barcode scanner, providing detailed nutritional information.  
https://www.chic.ae/

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there. I need one too. I realized that I can't do without it. I gain weight very quickly if I stop watching my calories.😒

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've used Eat This Much for years.   They have a free version, I liked it so much I bought the premium version.   It has the bar code scanners you're looking for.  I like the menu planning, grocery and pantry features best, plus the ability to extensively customize.    I also really like the dancing orange that comes across the screen when you complete a day 🙂   

Use Eat This Much then make a 1 line entry per day to the Fitbit app, or use free Google Fit to connect the two.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

MyFitnessPal was widely used for calorie tracking. It had a vast food database and allowed you to log your meals, exercise, and track your progress.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Cronometer focused on tracking not only calories but also micronutrients, making it https://superfoamusa.com/  useful for those interested in detailed nutritional information.

Best Answer

the basic (free) Fitbit food tracker does barcode scanning. Not sure if the water is tracked in the non-premium version.

Best Answer

yes, the free non-premium version tracks water also.  I used to do My Fitness Pal but over the years the Fitbit food lists are very good.

Best Answer

The Fitbit food tracker is very efficient and easy to use, especially after you set up your own "MY FOODS" database. The only word of caution I have about it is that some of the info in the database was put there by users who created their own particular entry and saved it into the database. Oftentimes, I will cross reference the entry's calories & macro-nutrients and it is way off. So, user beware, especially if you're wanting to keep close tabs on what you are eating every day.  

Best Answer

I noticed that too.  There needs to be more generic entries. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

i will need some help on my side 

Best Answer
0 Votes

i also have the  Amazon Halo and i like it too

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just myself a New Amazon Halo yesterday 

Best Answer
0 Votes