Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else struggling with insulin resistance?

I've been using Fitbit, supplements and working out for just under a month. Little to no results. The only possibility I can think of for this is my insulin resistance. I dislike taking the Metformin for it, because it makes me tired, weak, and zaps any and all motivation from my workout. Does anyone else out there have the same issue? 

It is so frustrating to work myself so hard, and eat so much better than before, to go between the same 1 and 2 lbs of weight loss/gain with a whole month behind me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Hello and welcome to the forums @dyan1216

Just under a month isn't long, so give yourself some time. I'm taking Metformin, too.

It's a lifestyle change and you need time to adjust. Don't think you have to push yourself all the time. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

Keep on stepping.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 9

Best Answer

Hey there I am in the same boat. Been a month and scale not moving. I try to be positive and think about the non scale victories. For example, I rarely get a backach when walking now; its easier to walk period; i took a look at my resting heartrate on my fitbit and it went from 80 down to 67 in a month which shows that my heart is getting in shape; i sleep lovely at night from all the fresh air/excerize; my physical activity has improved 150% per my fitbit dashboard; it doesnt hurt so much to move!!...etc

Best Answer

Totally agree. I won't give up on it because of everything you mentioned. I feel stronger, I can do a lot of the workouts with better form and actually complete them. I feel healthier, I've got loads more energy, and I sleep a bit better then before. My daughter loves it because she gets to come for walks with me in the mornings and evenings, and I have more energy to play with her, even if we're just hanging out doing crafts or something small.  But that scale number...so frustrating. Its evil!! LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes

"...and eat so much better than before"

Are you tracking calories and eating less, in general than before or has the quality of food improved while overall caloric intake has remained stable?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dyan1216 wrote:

I've been using Fitbit, supplements and working out for just under a month. Little to no results. 

First of all, one month is a rather short period of time: even with a large deficit, there’s only so much you can lose in four weeks. Whatever supplements you are taking won’t play a major role in your weight loss: it’s really a numbers game, your intake vs. your expenditure. Your Fitbit should give you a reasonable estimate of your expenditure, based on your personal info and your activity level . You will have to adjust your intake so as to achieve a suitable deficit. For most people, weight loss is 80% about nutrition and 20% about exercising. Your intake is really what you should focus on.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Insulin resistance is a tough thing, for sure. Even though you have made progress in changing what you eat and adding exercise, you might need to look at the methods you're using. If you haven't heard of it, I would strongly recommend reading "The Metabolic Effect Diet" by Drs. Jade and Keoni Teta. I know it says diet in the title but it isn't really a diet as much as a lifestyle change. The book was recommended to me by my doctor who suggested that I would identify with the scientific explanations they provide for how certain foods and types of exercise can be counterproductive to your weight (and more specifically, fat) loss goals. Many of their patients are people who struggled with insulin resistance and they describe how their methods can help you control your body's hormonal response to food and exercise. Both of the authors were personal trainers during college, became biochemists and then eventually went on to become naturopathic integrative medicine physicians - they know what they're talking about! I think you might be surprised at how some things that seem healthy, including some forms of exercise, really aren't doing you any favors. Keep up the good work, though! Even losing a little is so much better than losing nothing!

Best Answer

Both, honestly. I've started actually weighing my food because I was underestimating my intake. It's helped some.  At this point, I'm just going to stick with it. Small improvements are still wins, and its not like I gained weight over night (or even a month or so) so its not like I'm going to lose it that quickly either. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

Insulin Resistance diagnosis a few weeks ago. Started 500mg Metformin. Good increase in energy and alertness. Lots of Doctor Google reading to boost understanding. Also downloaded an ebook for small dollars. Have combined food portions for diabetes/prediabetes (!/2 plate (small)  vegies;!/4 low GI carb foods;1/4 Lean protein)  and balancing carbs (15grams) with proteins. I am also counting carbs ie 15g serves in a day and limiting to 3. Another recommendation is having 5 small meals rather than 3 big ones. All of this is to limit producing extra insulin. I sometimes count calories/kilojoules if I have time. The portion method is easier. I have to reduce triglicarides so am avoiding animal fat. Exercise is a problem for me but have a treadmil and exercise bike and hand weights set up at home. Injuries limit me to short sessions but I am building slowly and gently to avoid damaging knees etc. 

It is getting easier and I have lost a couple of Kilos. Having a husband who is diabetic and on a crusade to control his sugar has made eliminating the high fat high sugar yummies easier.

My fitbit is on my wrist again - mostly for steps walked - I look at the dashboard but have stopped giving the time to recording everything I eat. My e-scales are working and feed info into my computer.

My doctor says increasing Metformin dosage quickly can cause problems. I have to watch for low blood sugar simptoms.

Hope this blurb helps someone. Best wishes with coping with it all.

Best Answer
0 Votes