Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone uses Fitbit's calorie expenditure?

How did it go for you guys? Losing, gaining, or maintaining.

I only have my Fitbit Charge 5 for 3 days now, but the number is pretty close to what multiple TDEE calculators say with higher activity level.

I workout a lot, but I still use my sedentary TDEE because I just don't know what to set on the activity level. I wonder if this might be a good go to. There are many people who say fitness trackers aren't accurate, but I also saw many people who share their success with it. I'm more willing to believe the successful people, because it seems like it could be a thing where everyone just repeats what they heard.

Also, I wonder if I follow the deficit from the tracker for a month and it's not exactly how it should be. Can't I just adjust the deficit from there by knowing how much it influences?

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I tried the calorie expenditure for a few days before I gave up. Logging every bit of food (unless it was prepacked with a label that was recognized by FB) was tedious. Everything I cooked from scratch I had to enter into the app as a custom food item.  I think it was spot on and allowed you to choose how moderate or aggressive you wanted your restriction and the few days I did it I definitely felt like I was dieting. Just too time consuming.

I've had my bit since last July and I'm going the painfully slow weight loss tactic in hopes that once it is off, it will stay off 🙂 I am not dieting, just trying to make a few better choices and continuing to push my workouts. From last July to now I'm down just over 18 lbs. and my fitness (resting hr, sleep variability, etc.) is continuously improving.

If you scroll through your activities for a week with the workouts you've been doing you can add up each day's total energy expenditure and divide it by 7 you'll get your average daily calories burned. If you are working out a lot you shouldn't be using sedentary, you are likely burning much more than you think. If you want to lose 1-lb a week you only need to be about 500 calories shy of that daily average you are burning. The charge is pretty accurate at calories burned, for me it definitely measures that I burn more on the days that I do harder workouts or do more things in addition, like yardwork or extra walks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am using the app for the food logging and calories burned I also have sedatory set on my watch. So far since 14th May I have lost 13.5lbs 

Best Answer
0 Votes