Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breaking a Life Long Habit

I think I wrote previously in another post that I am a carboholic.  I love rice most of all and I find it hard to give it up.  I don't like the taste of brown rice.  So, here's the dilemma.  Here's an Asian gal, who loves her rice... but the doctor wants me to be careful since I'm borderline diabetic... and then there's the borderline hypertension.

So.. after months of excuses, I finally got a fitbit 3 weeks ago... and I've been slowly working my way up to about 10k on most days.  Weekends tend to be my lazy days since I want to sleep in after a week of grueling exercise.  I need to find a way to cut back on the rice without feeling like I'm depriving myself.  I'm not sure how to do that.

1) Work on portion size and just have 1 small bowl of rice per meal (if any).

2) Have my usual serving once a week and avoid it the rest of the week by filling up on veg.

3) Cold turkey it until I'm over it.

Option number 3 is pretty drastic and I don't want to do it.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  Tonight, instead of rice, I was planning on having some tofu with some grated ginger and soy sauce to go with my salad and pork cutlets.

Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

@Illaia wrote:

I think I wrote previously in another post that I am a carboholic.  I love rice most of all and I find it hard to give it up.  I don't like the taste of brown rice.  So, here's the dilemma.  Here's an Asian gal, who loves her rice... but the doctor wants me to be careful since I'm borderline diabetic... and then there's the borderline hypertension.

So.. after months of excuses, I finally got a fitbit 3 weeks ago... and I've been slowly working my way up to about 10k on most days.  Weekends tend to be my lazy days since I want to sleep in after a week of grueling exercise.  I need to find a way to cut back on the rice without feeling like I'm depriving myself.  I'm not sure how to do that.

1) Work on portion size and just have 1 small bowl of rice per meal (if any).

2) Have my usual serving once a week and avoid it the rest of the week by filling up on veg.

3) Cold turkey it until I'm over it.

Option number 3 is pretty drastic and I don't want to do it.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  Tonight, instead of rice, I was planning on having some tofu with some grated ginger and soy sauce to go with my salad and pork cutlets.

You seem to have given yourself the choices of answers, and they all seem reasonable.

Now, it's just a matter of choosing one, and not cheating on your decision. I like choice 2.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I choose #2, that would work when I go out to my favorite chinese restaurant. 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love rice too and have it when I want to.  The only thing is that I measure 1/4 cup to eat with whatever I am having.  No more, no less.

Best Answer

Is that cooked or uncooked?  I remember that I slimmed down before when I limited myself to 1 bowl of rice and I could eat whatever I wanted with it as long as the rice lasted....  and that usually meant lots of veg and some meat.  Of course, that was when I was still living with my family.  Now that I live on my own, it's all on me. 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Cooked rice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a low carber and I say go cold turkey.  The thing with carbs (esp high GI carbs) is that eating them causes you to crave them.  Once you stop craving them it is easier to stop eating them.  If you eat rice once a day you are setting yourself up to want more (and more and more).  

Once you go a month or six weeks without it you might be able to add it back once a week.  You have to see how it goes for you.  

I make "rice" out of cauliflower by chopping it to a rice like consistency in my food processor.  When I make a stir fry for my son and husband I eat that mixed in with stir fry.  It doesn't really taste like rice but it gives the same texture and it tastes good.

Best Answer

Just think about the day when you are a diabetic and need medicine/shots - then think if you do in moderation you could still have your rice and would keep diabetes  at bay 🙂 

I have a friend just the same, she cannot live without her rice but now she takes medicine  which is sad.

If you can't portion a small amount then just pick a day to enjoy it.

You can do it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wonder if I can do it both.. choose one week where I have it once for the special out at the restaurant day... and be good the rest of the week.. and then another week where I eat portions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd say cold turkey for a couple of days so you can quit it without binging and then switch to small portions once a day. 

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that if you could break the habit you could eventually go back to once a month having a special day out at the restuarant.  The thing is that you have to get out of the habit of having it every day and for that I have to repeat my advice to go cold turkey for a while.  See if you can go cold turkey until May 31.  Then on Jun 1 you can see if you can add back a special day once a month.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I loved carbs too - rice especially, and pasta, bread.... But I've cut out all carbs except vegetables and feel great. I love Chinese food, but if I'm in a restaurant, I ask them to leave the rice off (I'm still tempted, though I don't have to have it). Since going low carb, my cravings for the rice, pasta and bread have disappeared. It's nice. Good luck to you! And remember, our health is the most important thing we can possess.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update:

Still craving it... but the barley is keeping me full with a little rice mixed in.  I think I'm doing well considering. 

This week will be a turkey and veggie meatloaf with sweet potatoes on the side.... no rice intended.  Yay!  (I'm saving up the rice craving for the day I go out after Memorial day with my family.) -- then it's back to being good.

I think we should all feel entitled to a cheat day once in a while, right? 🙂  Of course, then when I get home, it'll be workout time.

Best Answer
0 Votes