Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CICO started working then stopped!!!

Been lifting 8 hours a week with cardio after. Supposed to be eating 2829cal a day but my intake is almost 800 lower than that consistently. I eat high protein low fat medium carb, about 57/23/20% and barely lost anything since March 31st. Went from 350.1 to 328 now I'm back up to 337, within a week. I don't do cheat days or any sugar for that matter. I eat pretty healthy. This has been my issue for years staying between 330-350. I can run a mile in 10:35 without dying, which means I probably can go faster. But I can't seem to lose more than 16 ish lbs. Thoughts? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

You must be eating as much as you burn if this has been a month at steady weight and not influenced by expected water weight fluctuations.

How is your calorie burn for lifting being estimated?

Yes, it's estimated, not measured.

Take a past typical day and note the daily burn.

Manually log a workout now for Weights for same start time/duration (not the cardio time, just lifting time), and accept the stated calorie burn. Yes it's small but that's true.

Now what is the daily burn?

How much difference?

For the food you eat, since calories is per gram, you weigh everything you eat?

Volume of cups, spoons, and "about 3 servings per package" are not accurate enough, possibly by a long shot.

Only valid for liquids.

Little better stats on the weight loss, since the first week always includes water weight which doesn't count.

But 45 days maybe 6 weeks with 22 lbs lost is rather extreme almost 3lbs weekly.

That will stress body out, cause water weight gain easily.

So through out the weight loss for 1st week, taking next weeks starting weight until you stopped losing - how much lost?

And how many days was that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I really can't stand when people say "you must be eating as much as you burn" as if that's the only reason. I measure everything. I burn almost 1800cal less on non active days. I see a toner version of myself coming out but my weight is still the same. I barely eat 1800cal on non active days and try and eat 2200 at least on active days. I know I burn way more than that, almost by 2000 on non active days. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well - CICO is simply a statement of the laws of thermodynamics.

If you turn down the heat on that pot of water boiling and it stops boiling, then there is less heat energy (calories) going IN than heat energy going OUT.

It doesn't matter a twit if you can measure what the amount of heat escaping is, and the amount being added is.

The effect - water is not boiling now - tells exactly what has occurred.

You are no longer losing weight - the effect.

The reason - you are no longer putting OUT as many calories as you are putting IN.

It is the only reason.

(unless my point of stress water weight applies, which has no calories but does have weight - hence my questions)

If you think there is something magical beyond that - have at it.

I find when I ask about weighing food and give example and reason - and person responds they are measuring - they either didn't read it or they are not weighing their food.

Side point to that - confirming the database entry used matches the label in hand.

If eating take out/delivery often - accuracy even using their calorie guide is out the window.

I'd be curious how you "know" how much you burn?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Nobody knows exactly how much they burn, just an estimate. I don't eat take out/delivery. I'm still burning more than I take in from my logs on 3 different trackers including Fitbit. I don't understand your condescending tone trying to explain "the laws of thermodynamics" like I'm some child. I'm not new to this scene. Furthermore, if you're going to continue with the condescension just don't reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not intending condescending tone - merely trying to explain in case you don't understand - and many don't. I don't know what you know or don't know how could I possibly.

I can only go off your words where you seem to express belief that you are for sure burning more than you eat - and yet you aren't losing weight.

And many will read this now and in the future and can use the explanation.

I will say this, and perhaps reading too much into the words - my several comments about stress which you still haven't commented on - almost are likely to be the issue because your posts appear full of stress over the matter.

You are correct that what you burn is an estimate - and yet you still claim you are burning more than you take in.

Have you read any of what I wrote, or got offended and stopped?

Several comments on where you WILL get inflated calorie burn - from every device using HR-based calorie burn.

I've given enough advice that has helped others figure out their issue and start making progress - do with it what you will, I'll stay out of your thread.

If there is a good stress level going on about this and other things - I predict weight increase.

Best Answer
0 Votes

One question: Are you WEIGHING your portions? As Haybales said,. except for liquids, using a food scale and weighing your portions, you can't be certain how many calories you're taking in. 

You say this has happened before. You lose X pounds then stop losing. Let me add that as your body adapts to the activity, it isn't working as hard, therefore what used to burn X number of calories in a given period will now burn some smaller percentage of that number of calores. Therefore eating the same amount of calores even if it is a significant estimated deficit, it will be less of a deficit. Keep in mind that it is also not uncommon when losing to plateau and see the scale not budge for several weeks and longer. You feel you're getting more toned, keep at it and trust the calorie deficit you believe and that the scale will start moving again, OR, change something up.

Are you lifting every day? Cardio every day? Try alternating each or at least doing light/heavy workouts alternating days. You came here for advice then argued with the only responder.  Best of luck on your journey.

Best Answer
0 Votes