Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calorie Count Accuracy

Hello!

I'm new!  I am a member of weight watchers, but I see that Fitbit has a food calorie counter that works along with the activity calorie counter.  Before I end my Weight Watchers subscription.  Have you found the calorie counters to be accurate?

Who has used the food and activity calorie counters on fitbit and been successful?

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Counting calories accurately depends on two factors:

• having an accurate database of foods
  • measuring your portion correctly 

I have found FitBit's food database (including the barcode scanning feature) to be pretty good.  Some items will scan weirdly or turn up with nutrition information that is off but the vast majority of time it works quite well.

If you have a food scale then the second factor is usually not an issue.  But in my experience, calorie counting is more likely to be thrown off by improperly gauging portion size or by forgetting to log an item altogether than because the database is weak.

To that end, I switched to using LoseIt! to log my calorie intake because I liked the interface better. I use the FitBit app to log activity (entirely with my monitor, not by logging activity manually) and then let the two apps sync with each other.

Best Answer

Thank you for this info because I was thinking of ending my WW subscription also.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You got a reply from @vineviz for intake calories. Energy expenditure (calories burned) calories: several community members have found HR-enabled Fitbits tend to overestimate them, while non-HR-enabled Fitbits tend to underestimate them. Even two HR-enabled Fitbits may not give the exact same results: for instance, I found my Charge 2 inflated calories burned by 3.5% compared to my Surge. The comparison was made after wearing both for four months. In the end, you’ll need to "calibrate" your Fitbit by comparing the actual change on the scale to the change predicted by Fitbit. This can take a few weeks, to eliminate the daily fluctuations that are bound to occur.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I also use the LoseIt app because I feel it is more user friendly and has a greater database.  Both LoseIt and MFP (My Fitness Pal) can bet set up to automatically link your calories to your FitBit account.

In regards to the post about over estimation of calories with Charge HR, I agree with that.  I have a Charge HR 2 and I am not totally certain but I just think that it says I burn way more calories than I actually do.  This is my hunch because when I eat back my exercise calories, I don't lose weight if I go strictly by my "Fit Bit adjustment" on LoseIt.  I had been monitoring this for a while and after I started eating back half of my activity calories from FitBit, I consistently lose 1lb per week. 

So also wanted to point this out - that FitBit may tell you that you are burning more calories than you actually are. 

Best Answer

I have found both to be very accurate for me (Charge HR). My suggestion for improving accuracy is to always try to self improve on your accuracy. Just a couple quickie suggestions.

- Double check fitbit's database with a quick online search and compare.

-try switching to measuring by weight instead of volume (grams instead of 1/4 cup)

- instead of buying the $20 dollar chrome plated glass top food scale, buy two $10 dollar wal-mart ones and keep one at work and one at home.

- try to memorize what portions sizes look like.

- buy some cheap dollar store measuring spoon sets and keep a dedicated measuring spoon in each serving container for high frequency eaten items. (one for cereal, one for brown sugar, one for oatmeal, one in freezer for smoothie fruit, etc.)

- if in doubt, take a picture of something you are trying to guestimate the calories for and post it here in the forum and ask for others opinion and HOW they arrive at that opinion on how many calories.

- if you find yourself in social situations where its awkward or impolite to be on your phone the whole time logging food as you eat, keep a little piece of scrap paper in your pocket with a small pen. Just keep a hand written log then punch it all into the computer afterwards.

- logging food before you actually eat it really helps with food budgeting and to see where you stand during the day. Be creative, if something you really want puts you 100 cals over your goal then modify that item. Cut crusts of a sandwich, halve the mayo (easy to do if weighing), cut a piece off a cooked chicken breast to fit in your calorie range then save the piece for tomorrow, use 1.5 Tbsp (24 grams) instead of your normal 2 Tbsp (32 grams) if you need to trim 50 cals to stay in range.

Good luck with this, it can really be a fun process

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

I use the calorie counter in fitbit and I like that you can create a weight plan with a calorie deficit for weight loss.

You can also download the app myfitnesspal, which has a better barcode scanner database. Within that app, you are able to link your fitbit account so that the food you scan in myfitnesspal will log on your fitbit app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I'm loosing. and my most important activity is tracking what I eat. Keeps me in check. FITBIT also makes it easy. For me in the ball park is good enough. I thought I needed a scale, not really ( for me) I have a understanding of what it weighs/ size. My weight keep going down 2.3 LBS per week. One tip is to keep the calorie meter in the green. At first, log it before you eat so you can cut and trade for the right number of calories

Best Answer

I have tried loosing weight since medio january, and it only came to 2,5 kg - which is not very much. In order to speed up the process I tried to burn more calories pr day and staying at the same consumption (I eat 1500 kcal a day and went from burning 2300 to 2500 kcal/day). I didn't change my slow loosing. I think Fitbit overestimates my BMR (basal metabolic rate) quite a bit.

Best luck to you 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes