Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calorie intake

I'm on a plant based diet , i consume approx 800 to 1000 calories per day yet my fit bit consistently tells me i'm burning between 2500  to 3400 per day I'm 68 reasonably active approx 9,000 steps per day . According to the science there should be nothing left of me as this has been the case for more than 12 months now , any ideas ??

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

I'm on a plant based diet , i consume approx 800 to 1000 calories per day yet my fit bit consistently tells me i'm burning between 2500  to 3400 per day I'm 68 reasonably active approx 9,000 steps per day . According to the science there should be nothing left of me as this has been the case for more than 12 months now , any ideas ??

Best Answer
0 Votes

If your caloric intake were 800-1000 and if your total energy expenditure were 2500-3400, science predicts you would lose a bunch of weight, though not to the point of causing you to vanish into thin air.

However, estimating energy expenditure with an activity tracker like Fitbit is not exact science: there’s a margin of error (which can be quite large). In your case, I would say that 2500-3400 is quite overstated, based on the limited information (age, average step count) you provided. Using this online calculator (which relies on the same underlying equation as Fitbit), you would need to be a lot taller and heavier than average in order to burn the amount of calories Fitbit says you’re burning. For instance, if you were 6’5 tall and weighed 300 pounds, you would burn about 3000 calories at light activity level (which would correspond to your average step count of 9k, based on my experience). If you are shorter and/or lighter than that, your actual energy expenditure is lower.

Likewise, humans tend to underestimate the amount of calories they eat and drink, even when they’re adamant they log and count everything. It’s quite unlikely you’d be able to perform very well on just 800-1000 calories, especially over such a long period of time.

Also: even if calories in and calories out could be precisely counted, and you did have a sizeable deficit of 1500-2500 calories per day, science says the effect of such a deficit very quickly diminishes over time (precisely to prevent you from vanishing into thin air).

But do tell us what happened to your weight during these 12+ months. It’s hard to offer "ideas" given how little we know about the parameters. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Great you go with Plant based Diet. I Think with this you have control or Diet Specially on Sugar which is Great Part to Weight loss Sugar and Weight Loss is one of the carrier for this Sugarandweightloss[.]com

Best Answer
0 Votes

@peterlee wrote:

... is one of the carrier for this Nameofphonysite[.]com

Posting legitimate links is allowed. That you felt necessary to hide the link you’re trying to promote suggests it is not legitimate. Indeed, it only appears to collect people’s e-mail by making outlandish promises like:

"Lose weight fast with Simple 2-Minute Ritual - 1 Pound Of Belly Fat Every Day"

Therefore the link will likely be removed by a moderator.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer