Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories burned way too high?

ANSWERED

Hello all, 

I've been using my fitbit HR for about a year.  I've always liked it, but seem to be questioning the amount of calories I'm burning.  I've searched and read through a variety of posts and I'm curious if someone can help me on this.

Here it goes:

Weight 232 lbs.

5'9"

I've calculated my BMR at 2136.  According to Fitbit, I'm burning 7 calories every 5 minutes.(I checked this in the activities>calories burned section)  So, that means 7 x 12 = 84 per hour.  84 x 24hours =2016 calories in a day.  I can accept that in relation to the online BMR calculator result of 2136.

Here is where it gets nuts.  Fitbit is reporting on average 3500-4000 calories burned in a day with steps roughly around 9k-11k.  Wouldn't that mean insane weight loss in a week?  I have been logging calorie intake which has been around 2900-3000. That's a 1000 calorie deficit per day.  Yet, I'm doing NO exercise.  Just walking around at my job.  Maybe I'm just frustrated because I've been watching everything like a hawk and can only account for 3 lbs lost over the past 4 weeks.  But, if you follow the fitbit numbers I should be shedding the lbs.

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

Search BMR

Best Answer
0 Votes