Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories in, Calories out, do I need to change my Stats

Hi Everyone,

Finally after all these years, I have found an easy simple method to drop some weight. Instead of micro managing every exercise etc. I am just tracking my calories in religiously, And just going by my steps from calories burned (I figure any extra activity is an unseen bonus). I have lost 14lbs since Feb 23rd using this method and I am not suffering in the diet department, but rather learned I can eat everything I like within reason and not deprive myself.

Now here is the question, I know my burn rate was based on my heavier weight, sedentary activity which was pretty high, and age with now my weight is lighter, my activity is more, and age is age. So I am thinking to keep with my way of losing weight I should re-enter my new weight every 20lbs loss and my activity level since it will be harder to lose weight since I am not as sedentary and have less fat to burn. I like the simplicity of the way I am doing things now, as I can just adjust my eating or activity as I go throughout the day up until the end of the day.

So what do you all think, should I readjust my weight and activity as I go? Or just leave it as it? I just don't want to be discouraged down the road when it seems near impossible to drop weight.

Thanks 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

@Be50Gone  I'm surprised no one has replied to you before now.  You  must adjust as you go along.  To determine the approximate number of calories most people are eating to maintain a weight you just multiply their weight by 10.  If you weighed 170 (times 10 =1700 calories a day to maintain) you would reduce the calories to 1200 a day to lose a pound a week.  etc.   Reduce what you eat of fat, sugar, and flour and increase fiber and you don't even have to follow a diet.  Mayo Clinic says it is fine to use artificial sweeteners instead of sugar.  Read all  food labels  for fat and sugar content which are the worst.  Fiber is in fruit and vegetables of course as I'm sure you know.  Avoid bread etc.     You don't have to eat 1200 calories if you are small.  I don't even use that many calories lots of days unless I get on my treadmill instead of doing yard work all day.  It is silly that everyone says that.  Even if you do eat 1200 calories they wouldn't necessarily all be good for you calories.   LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply, I love the dashboard for tracking where I need to be. So I think I will readjust  my figures when I get to 20lbs down so it is simplified for me. The dashboard is so motivating for me, not much thinking involved(G).... I think the biggest shock was in getting a scale, them 89 grams is a lot less then one is to believe. I have become a avid label reader, not only for myself but for hubby who has gout.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Takes about 10 lb change for the calories to drop by a tad under 100 usually for daily burn.

But for sure have to account for that.

Of course, it is smarter to purposely slow the rate of loss, before the body does it for you out of adapting and stress.

1 lb a week not bad though at all, not really stressful, until you get down to the last 10 lbs really in your reasonable rate.

I'd almost suggest going for alternate week diet at that point if still losing 1 lb weekly.

That means you have a 500 cal deficit in place, so 1 week eat 500 more daily and practice what you'll be doing anyway eating at maintenance.

Other week put the deficit back in place.

Surprised you aren't updating the weight more frequently - good job not being tied to the scale so badly.

Just updating the weight will change other figures, not sure what you mean by changing activity level.

If using a Fitbit, it's adjusting the fact when you are sedentary, or more active.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

yes, you should for sure calibrate every 10 to 15 pounds so you don't get stuck. Not so much stuck weight wise, more mental. You get the good vibes and you are consistently in the honeymoon phase of weight loss, while you are losing. You feel so good about things and filled with gratitude that your body is acting as you want it to. Until, you stop focusing and calibrating. Don't let complacency drag you down and well done on your weight loss! 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes