Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't lose weight no matter what I do with PCOS

About three years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. In the first year after discovering this I was told that a low carb diet was what I should follow after not being able to tolerate metformin. By doing that alone I went from weighing 235 to 203 pounds. Here's the tricky part, after that my weight loss has stalled. No matter how low carb I eat I either stay at 203 pounds or gain eating just a little more. In this past two years it has become so frustrating that now I weigh in at 215 only being able to get down to 213 eating low carb, a tool that has worked for me in the past. My logic at this point is if I weigh 215 eating somewhat normally then why should I care for the couple pounds lost restricting. I don't know what else to do. I feel stuck and it is now affecting my mental health. My goal weight is 185 and at this point I don't think I will ever get there. I want to turn this around in a couple of months and at least get into the 190's. 

Some important notes:

-I walk 40 minutes a day

-I have a back injury

-I eat less than 50 carbs a day when I am trying to lose weight, 50 being the max

If there are any supplements or diets I should try please let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

I've been dealing with PCOS for years! It is such a difficult and poorly understood condition. Check out the Obesity Code by Dr Fung, it has been a game changer for me and I'd tried everything else (South Beach, Keto, Low Carb/Smart Carb, Calorie restriction, interval training, working out with a personal trainer....you name it). I started intermittent fasting months ago and am just now starting to see the scale move, but I noticed huge changes in my moods and hunger when I started the fasting. I no longer get "hangry" and I started to feel much better way before I saw changes in my weight. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I fast from 10 at night to around 1 in the afternoon. Is that enough? Also are you on low carb? Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @elizass , I know with PCOS it can be am extra struggle!  My niece has PCOS and she has a hard time with her weight, but even so she is getting there.  Hopefully you will too!

Folks will tell you it is all about calories in / calories out and broadly speaking, that is certainly true... There is increasing evidence that different people burn calories differently: some people thrive well on a low carb diet; others fare badly on the increased fat intact that often follows a low carb diet...

It’s important for you to experiment to see what style of weight management, eating, and exercise, works best for you.  

If you want to try intermittent fasting, I would suggest finishing eating a little earlier at night - maybe dinner by 7 and nothing after that, then skip breakfast and nothing until lunch.  It’s a little more extreme than you have tried, but the latest research on IF suggests limiting all food to 8 hours in the day.  An alternative form involves seriously restricting calories 2 days a week (500 max for women).

If you want to try low carb, at least for the initial period you might need to go lower on your carb (maybe 30 grams or lower).  That’s hard to sustain for any length of time for most people.

Or you could try one of the many balanced low calorie approaches.

My best advice would be that as you have more than a few pounds to lose, so it will (and should!) take you some time, it will probably work best to find which dieting style seems to work best for you and try it for a while.  Steady balanced low calorie doesn’t work for everyone.  Intermittent fasting doesn’t work for everyone, low carb high fat doesn’t work for everyone...

Having said that, whenever you get into a rut, consider switching,  and swap among different dieting styles (I don’t mean every day - that definitely won’t work!!) but maybe every couple of months.  

I know it sounds odd, but sometimes your body ‘just get used’ to a certain weight.  I think there are more scientific ways of describing it, but that’s what it boils down to.  There’s good evidence that changing your dieting style can quick start a new weight loss phase.

And, finally, I hate to say it, but don’t forget the saying, ‘dieting makes you fat’.  There’s also evidence for that.  Sometimes it is a good idea to give your body a rest and between periods of dieting, spend some time maintaining your weight, and not trying to lose.  

That will help solve the yoyoing rpoblem - not forgetting that the yoyo almost always manges to get just a little higher each time...

There are no strict timetables...  If you are really sure that you aren’t cheating (keep a food diary or use your Fitbit app to log your food!) and you still don’t lose weight for a couple of weeks, then it is time to change up your dieting style, or go into maintenance mode, for a few weeks at least - and then try again when you feel really ready to re-commit.

While it is important to keep active, exercise alone almost certainly won’t make a big difference to your weight.  It should make abig difference to how you feel, thoguh, so hopefully thst will help.

Finally, don’t underestimate community!  Find friends, or post here in the many forums, to get feedback and encouragement in managing progress toward your weight goals.  Good luck!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

@elizass I have struggled with PCOS since I was 14. Weight has always been my biggest struggle, amongst other things. There are many resources out there. One beneficial site I found is https://www.pcosdietsupport.com/  There are free resources on there plus ones you can pay for. There are supplements that research shows improvement in PCOS symptoms, as well. I have noticed when I follow a diabetic type diet; I have better luck. I also o not tolerate metformin but take supplements to replace it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
DISCOVER HOW this “CRIPPLED” WIFE SHED 23 POUNDS OF UNWANTED FAT AND COMPLETELY FLATTEN HER BELLY (WITHOUT Starving Herself And WITHOUT Doing Any Exercise More Strenuous Than Walking To The Fridge!) To know How? Click 👉 http://bit.do/ffZoE
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had PCOS

Best Answer
0 Votes