Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Blog: Feeling Fine at 50, Benjamin Edwards

martins-zemlickis-NPFu4GfFZ7E-unsplash.jpg

Feeling Fine at 50 by Benjamin Edwards 
It is so hard to believe that I turned 50 this year! Two weeks after my birthday I ran the McAllen Marathon. I always thought of myself as this average joe shmoe. Unexceptional in so many ways, yet why is it that each year that goes by now I feel better and stronger?

In the 1990s, I remember having issues with my knees and shins whilst serving in the Marine Corps. I ran the Marine Corps Marathon in 1993, my first, and had a knee injury for 6 months following the event. In the 2000s, I commissioned as an Army officer and had issues with my lower back over several years.

Something happened though at the beginning of 2013, a shift, I guess you could call it. Change of perspective. I became a vegetarian. I meditated and said daily affirmations. After 5 months, I had lost 50lbs, about 10lbs a month, and became something that I had never really felt before in life - optimistic. With my whole outlook changing, my universe changed around me. Everything I focused on achieving came to fruition and the crazy thing is, it was so easy.

After my first year of this regimen, I had my annual physical, blood work, and the whole works. The doctor conducting my examination and review of my labs asked me what my secret was. I was 44 and had the results of your average 19 or 20-year-old he said. It was incredibly flattering to hear! It was confirmations like that which continued to motivate me to this day.

For me, a routine is key. You must have “Me Time” during your daily routine. Wake up and be grateful and thankful. Smile. Begin the day by ingesting foods that are nourishing. An apple or a banana goes a long way for your body temple! Say positive things to yourself. You are like a computer programmer. Your mind is software. Update and Upgrade!

I was (still am 😉) a Marine, an Army officer (retired Major), and even pulled in some time working at Topgolf, but for now, I am content to be me. A happy healthy man looking forward to a bright conclusion to the days ahead.

--

Please note that content published here is written by Fitbit Community members and does not reflect any opinions or official positions of Fitbit. The Community Blog entries are published as submitted and are not edited for grammatical or other accuracy. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or condition. Always check with your doctor before changing your diet, altering your sleep habits, taking supplements, or starting a new fitness routine.

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Just turned 50 also your a inspiration !!

Best Answer

@JohnnyQuest1970  You're too kind, thank you and happy 50th birthday!  Half a century!  *whew*!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a child (That’s why my profile name is Pudsey557) I have felt better aswell doing lots of exercise but the downside is that the next day you ache all over the place.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit has changed my life!

Best Answer

Looks like Connecticut Avenue coming out of Dupont Circle!   

Best Answer

Indeed, Fitbit changes lives

Best Answer

@Joseph1985      Yeah 

Best Answer