Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Despite consistent caloric deficit, gaining weight?

ANSWERED

For the last 3.5 months, I’ve steadily lost weight (around 25 lbs) by eating healthy and running a lot to make sure I have a 1000 kcal deficit everyday. For the last 2 weeks, however, I’ve actually consistently weighed in at a higher weight (5-7 lbs higher than normal). I know weight fluctuates, so I took it in stride for the first week (because after 1 week it usually goes back to normal), but it still hasn’t gone away and my period isn’t for another week, so I don’t really know what it could be. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong suddenly. Any insight? Thanks!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@swagxranger  Wow!  What a great job you have been doing.  Even if your weight popped up 5 pounds temporarily you are still 20 pounds down.   Wonderful.  Hang in there.  Eat conservatively I would be tempted to splurge after such success but try just to stabilize for a while.  Don't you think?  You deserve a short break.  Try not to gain any more.   Keep in mind that anytime you splurge a bit your body retains more water to process the extra calories.  And elimination can be couple of pounds sometimes.  Don't get discouraged.  You are doing so well.!!!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

@swagxranger  Wow!  What a great job you have been doing.  Even if your weight popped up 5 pounds temporarily you are still 20 pounds down.   Wonderful.  Hang in there.  Eat conservatively I would be tempted to splurge after such success but try just to stabilize for a while.  Don't you think?  You deserve a short break.  Try not to gain any more.   Keep in mind that anytime you splurge a bit your body retains more water to process the extra calories.  And elimination can be couple of pounds sometimes.  Don't get discouraged.  You are doing so well.!!!

Best Answer

@swagxranger  Hi again.   Something maybe you and  lots of others should know......When you reduce  the calories you eat for a significant amount of time you MUST NOT GO BACK TO "NORMAL"  ALL AT ONCE.  You will gain weight no matter what else is going on.  Do NOT depend on that calories used stuff.  You body can only adjust a couple hundred calories a day increase without you gaining weight.  That is one advantage of the intermittent fasting diets.  If you only reduce calories a day and then skip one or 2 and eat only 500 again another day, your metabolism doesn't slow down.  But if you reduce calories for a month you must add back just 200  a day or 2 and make sure you aren't gaining before you add back more. 

Some studies show that people lose just as much dieting just some days a week as they do dieting all the time.  ???  Losing very much very fast causes loose skin.  But I went on a 500 calorie diet for a month or 2 years ago, but I didn't have much to lose.  Losing 10 pounds or so fast is ok especially if you are young.    So after your great success, take a break by exercising less or something but you have to consider the calories.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you always been a runner or is it new to you? And have you recently increased your running?

I ask because years ago I lost a lot of weight and started running. When I first started running I lost a bit more pretty easily, but then it plateaued. I started training for a marathon with a trainer and she pointed out that when I initially started running it was all new to my body and it wasn't running very efficiently. It doesn't take all that long before your body adapts to the running and becomes more efficient, that is, burns less calories doing the same task. Even lest calories since it is hauling around even less of you. 

Also, when we would do long runs where we push our bodies further than in the past to increase our mileage, I always gained about 4 pounds for several days. Coach said it was likely water retention while my body makes more adaptions from the excessive miles. It usually came off in 5 to 7 days. 

I hope you can get through this stage. I try to mix things up if I hit hiccups like yours. If I'm exercising a lot, I take a break or change to another form of exercise, or I change up my eating habits. 

Best Answer

I have been at this for over a year and  just since February have been using Fitbit. So far I have lost a total of 75lbs. Now, that said, I purchased an Aria 2 scale and I have noticed when I hit a plateau, that is when my body fat index adjusts. I gain a pound or two but my body fat index starts dropping and when I loose the "extra" pounds my body fat index stays down. This happens every time I hit a plateau. My body fat index has dropped from a high of 51.4 to, at present it is 43.3. I have hit another plateau and I'm hoping the fat index is adjusting again. I've got a bit more weight to loose but I set the goals at 10lbs. at a time. I'm almost at my 8th goal reset. It is the way I stay motivated. I view plateau's as a good thing. It is when my body seems to shed unneeded fat cells. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve always been a runner, but I have been increasing my intensity, so maybe I’m retaining some water from that like you said.  It’s just frustrating because it’s been a month now and I haven’t lost any weight. If anything, I’ve consistently weighed in at nearly 10 lbs higher. Would I have to take a break from exercise for any weight loss to reflect on the scale?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had this exact same problem.  I started running in January and through out January and February I lost weight.  In March it stopped and I have only gained since then.  Everyone tells me it's muscle weight.  The number of times I've heard the words "Don't forget muscle weighs more than fat" has me pulling my hair out.  Due to the lack of progress, I stopped running regularly.  I might have not been much lighter in March, but I was definitely fitter and I regret letting the frustration stop me.

I was running on set days every week.  Now I take the dog for a walk every morning and just see how I feel when we get to the field.  If I'm feeling good I run, not so good and I'll walk.  I think the less structured routine has helped me get some of that fitness back and I'm not pushing myself as hard only to see no results.  This works for me at this moment in my life.

I hope my experience helps you to work things out with your own.  Don't let weigh gain set you back as far as it did with me. 

Best Answer