Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you trust the calories burned/weekly deficit?

Hey guys, so I have an Alta HR.  My question is how much do you trust what your FitBit says you are burning each day?  If you track your meals that you eat(like with MyFitnessPal), do you usually follow what Fitbit says you can eat for the day?  Is that working for you?  

If you look at the weekly deficit that has your total for the week, does it seem about right?  Like if it says you had a weekly deficit of 3500 calories, did you actually notice a lb of weight loss for the week; does the info seem to match up with what you are seeing on the scale?

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I would treat it like the bible.

Is it a good overall guide on activity vs. intake?  Yes

Should you believe every little bit of it to the letter and eat up to X calories:  Probably not

You'll need to experiment to determine the best way to use this information.

Best Answer

Agreeing with @Mukluk4 -- Fitbit is a tool, subject to inaccuracy but valuable nonetheless.  The speedometer on my car helps me to adhere to speed limits even though it may be off by a few MPH.

There is a LOT of noise about the supposed inaccuracy of Fitbit and other tools, which I frankly dismiss as excuse-making by people who want to blame their lack of progress on anything but their propensity to overstuff their faces.   I should know as I am one of those people.

My experience is that I've carefully tracked Fitbit's measurements versus my actual weight loss, and, assuming I lose 1 pound per 3,500 calorie deficit, Fitbit underestimates my caloric deficit by about 195 calories per day.  This means I am losing weight slightly faster than Fitbit would predict.  I would think that the Fitbit "error" would vary by person.

Bottom line for me:  Fitbit's measurement errors, while relatively small for me, are completely immaterial in the bigger picture.

Best Answer