Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have suggestions to lose weight?

ANSWERED

Hello guys, I’ve been working on my weight for some weeks now, both through diet and exercise but seems not to be improving as I want especially around my ribs area. I want to slim down more and get more fit. Anyone with concrete suggestion?

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Albert.H  Albert You could DUCKDUCKGO or Google, 'How many calories should a man your age and height should eat to maintain whatever you want to weigh'.  Maybe first google what is the ideal weight for your height.  Many scientific studies have concluded that exercise makes no difference in losing weight.  You can lose as much or more if you don't exercise.  Exercise is critical for good health but  don't exercise and eat more or you will not lose weight.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

@Albert.H  Albert You could DUCKDUCKGO or Google, 'How many calories should a man your age and height should eat to maintain whatever you want to weigh'.  Maybe first google what is the ideal weight for your height.  Many scientific studies have concluded that exercise makes no difference in losing weight.  You can lose as much or more if you don't exercise.  Exercise is critical for good health but  don't exercise and eat more or you will not lose weight.

Best Answer

Thank you Glenda, but I have done all of these.. I eat according to diet, do more exercise. I have been running this for almost 2weeks now. And I still find it hard to see changes

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Albert.H   Doing more exercise doesn't help.  All the studies say people who start an exercise program, eat more and DON'T lose weight.  Don't be doing that calorie deficit thing.  Use the figure that will maintain the weight you want to get to at most.  This is just my opinion because it has always worked for me.   Everyone else seems to believe, or want to believe in the calorie deficits but if you are doing that you already have learned it doesn't work.  Right?

Best Answer
0 Votes

For fat weight loss you must eat less than you burn.

Diet is for weight loss - only fat if done correctly, include some muscle if done wrong.

Exercise is for heart health and body improvement - can help weight loss be fat only if done right.

Only thing exercise does for weight loss is allow you to eat more than if no exercise and still lose weight.

Would you rather burn 2500 with exercise and eat 2000, or burn 2000 sedentary and eat 1500?

Most would rather eat more and improve body.

But if the exercise makes you eat more because you aren't logging calories - then you'll have a problem.

But we are here on a logging site, so I won't assume you are logging to some degree.

I'm not sure why you'd need to go check an external source with you guessing from 4-5 rough levels of activity when I'm guessing you are on a Fitbit forum because you have a device that is with you looking at what you do all day long, giving much better estimates.

None of your comments mention actually logging what you eat. "working on my weight ..., both through diet" could mean many things that have nothing to do with eating the right amount.

Now true, the adage "move a little more, eat a little less" does work if you have little to lose and can make those adjustments going forward.

But many need to log, and you may have already made major changes in lifestyle. Just hope they are sustainable.

In addition, the devices can be a good or bad estimate of calorie burn depending on what you are doing.

If you get a lot of steps daily from extra walking - then stride length matters because that daily calorie burn is about distance and pace - if distance is wrong, then bad calorie burn.

And some workouts may use HR-based calorie burn and that is totally incorrect and inflated calorie burn for the type being done.

You also can't spot reduce. If you are down to just the rib area being left with some fat, then you appear to have little to lose, and that is the area fat is lost last in for vast majority. That should mean a minor deficit so as not to stress out the body.

So, are you logging everything you eat by weight? (liquids being exception)

Because calories is per gram - not per cup or spoon or "about 3 servings per package".

What are your workouts, and what kind of distance do you go on non-workout days?

Are these workouts totally new to you?

New workouts usually cause water weight gain on the scale, even while losing inches - so always measure too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Progress takes time and I've actually fallen off the wagon myself.  I got out of the military 3 years ago and have become a sloth lol.  I'm jumping back into it now BUT; I did manage to lose 40 pounds before I joined and I can give you some things that helped me.  

-Take before pictures (you will not see the progress if you look into the mirror.  I never noticed how big of a change I made until I put my before and a current picture next to eachother)

-Don't focus only on the scale.  (If you're lifting, you may gain weight as muscle weighs more than fat)

-Log all of the food that goes into your mouth.  (You will be much more aware of how many cals you are taking in and where you may have some pitfalls.  You may just be taking in too many calories and not know it.)

-Try to substitute out a trouble food for you with something else. (potato chips > veggie chips, bread > rice etc.)

-Try to notice how you are actually feeling (emotionally, physically, spiritually).   I've learned that when I work out, I am always in a much better mood and seem to have more patience.  

Those are just a couple of things that I did to notice where I had issues and it really helped me nail down those bad habits.  I'm actually re-incorporating them to my life as I let myself fall into those same traps when I got out.  But here's to both of us being successful! 🙂 

Best Answer

@SNOWIS Wow!  I'm so impressed with your suggestions.  All of them are so good.   Before pictures of all kinds of things are so great, fun and satisfying.  Weight loss pictures can be inspirational for others too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I try to eat more healthy food (fruits, vegetables, dairy products).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! Thanks for sharing your experiences and tips.

I also think that exercise with a good nutrition can help loose weight. One has to keep in mind that not every body is the same. The metabolism is also a factor to think of. 

If one wants to loose weight on a specific area, I think you should consult an exercise, nutritional or medical expert, so that they can create a plan according to one's body.

And also as stated above, you won't see a change from one day to another. Body changes take time and effort. 

Please keep sharing your tips

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer

Celine Dion Weight LossCeline Dion who is born on 30 March 1968 and also a famous Canadian singer who is known for her powerful singing.  In worldwide she is selling 200 million copies. Celine Dion has recently made headlines for her slim frame.

While the singer’s change has received mixed reactions from fans, Celine said she feels strong and feminine.

Celine Dion wants those who think she has lost weight to know that she is doing the right thing. The 53-year-old singer, who is the latest spokesperson for Lawrence Paris, admits she has lost some pounds but says she is healthy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are looking for weight loss and want to lose weight then you can check this post <a href="https://gohealthline.com/susan-boyle-weight-loss/">Susan Boyle Weight Loss</a>

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was on a good path prior to the pandemic and then lost my gym access. During the pandemic, I started a weight loss program provided through my health insurance. I didn't learn much new, but part of the program involved logging your food and calories. I lost some weight, but without the gym access, it was slow and took a long time. And I didn't lose as much as I wanted to. HOWEVER, logging your food to see calorie intake over time is an eye opener. It's a pain in the butt, but you do start to see where your extra calories are coming from. So, DEFINITELY LOG FOOD for a couple weeks at least so you can see the trends. It's a hassle to do forever, but I will go in several week spurts to put my mindset back in the game. You probably know this too, but cardio is good for heart health and helps you burn calories, but without the resistance training to build muscle, you won't see as much progress. I'm good at getting cardio, but suck at sticking to resistance training even though I know muscle burns more calories, so the more you have, the better. I'm striving to get back in the game myself, including food logging again for this next month. If you want to partner up for some regular check-ins, feel free to add me as a friend. And good luck!

Best Answer

Losing weight is a complicated journey, especially when struggling with your eating habits. Over the years, I concluded that a flat stomach is only made in the kitchen. Working out is super helpful as well, but only if it's combined with a good diet. Those things combined work magically on your body. Sadly, I learned that too late in my life, but I'm lucky the weight loss program showed me how things really work. Their tips and instructions helped me tremendously during my weight loss journey, and I learned more about fitness and nutrition in 12 weeks than I did in my whole life.

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey Albert, I was in the same boat and no matter how well I ate or how much I worked out, I wasn't getting much results. After 1 year of minimal results I was extremely frustrated and a buddy of mine suggested I get blood work done to check my testosterone levels.  After doing that I came to find out my test levels were super low.  So I jumped on TRT (testosterone replacement treatment) to bump my test levels back up and it's worked wonders.  I'm not sure what your age is but once us guys hit mid to late 30s our test levels go way down. Might be worth looking into.  Here are some progress pics of when I first started and where I am now at the age of 46.  Good luck bud!  🤘

Fat 2 Fit.jpg

Best Answer

Ben is onto something, sort of. If you're making an honest effort and not seeing results, check with your doctor. For Ben it was testosterone. For me it was thyroid.

First though, I would say that two weeks is not enough time to expect much of anything. Make lifestyle changes that you can sustain. Track your weight, and measurements (waist, neck, thighs, calves, arms, etc.). Weight loss is funny. It will start in one are and move to another in a seemingly random fashion.

Second, watch what you eat and the proportions. Many people eat way too many carbs. Focus on improving your fitness, and look for changes in your body later. Split up workouts to build muscle, and improve your aerobic capacity.

Good luck.

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer
0 Votes

I read about a girl who lost a lot of weight just by switching her snacking to very low calorie raw vegetables.  Google suggested carrots, celery with peanut butter, cucumbers and bell peppers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This was very informative!  Thanks for sharing in such detail!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Use the food tracking abilities of the Fitbit app.  It is really good and gives you a great look at what you are REALLY eating.  I have had good results by controlling what type of foods I eat and keeping my exercise at an appropriate level for my age.  I used to be an exercise addict, taught group fitness classes and ran half marathons. I could eat anything I wanted because my young body could handle it.  With age and injuries. I am now 56, I can no longer do it. 

As much as I may dislike it, I eat 1400 to 1600 calories a day now to not gain weight if I am in-active.  It is a numbers game.  The past two months my goal has been to reduce my exercise to daily walking and making sure I sleep enough hours.  To lose weight I cut my calories to a 500 calorie day deficit.  I eat only foods that are low glycemic and equal ounces of lean protein, vegetables, and fruit, about 6 ounces of each for me personally.  My motto I live by - If it came out of a factory ~ I don't eat it.  I drink 100 to 140 ounces of water daily. THIS MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE!  You will be amazed at the quantity of food you can eat if you eat healthy food only.  When putting this into practice I lost about 8 pounds a month.  I feel and look like a new person.  Healthy food and water have changed my cravings palate as well.  Look for low glycemic food options.  No bread for me. Instead of fats like oil or butter I use Worcestershire sauce, Lemon & lime juice, any spice without sugar, use chicken/vegetable/beef broth, water or balsamic vinegar.  For sauces or dressings, I use Walden Farms/Hendricks brand, Cayenne powder/pepper, Chinese 5 spice, Citrus juice (lemon, lime, orange…tsp. not cups) and crushed red pepper, Frank’s Hot Sauce or Buffalo Wing Sauce, Garlic, herbs, lemon pepper, Montreal seasoning, pepper, pico de gallo and stevia sweetener if you need to, Tabasco, taco and fajita seasoning, Marinades.  I no longer snack unless it's a vegetable.  There is a great homemade recipe I use on salads or even put on my chicken or fish - 1/4 apple cider vinegar, 1 c. water, 1 tbsp. lemon, 1 tsp. Stevia, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder-easy peazy.

I tried for 15 years to lose 30 pounds by working out, eating just reduced calories (but not just good clean food) and it didn't stick.  This has been a lifestyle change for me.  I haven't felt better.  

Exercise is necessary BUT eating right is just as important!  Find your balance.  Prioritize YOU and you'll be great! Good Luck!

Best Answer

My internist suggested using intermittent fasting. I eat dinner at 6pm and don't eat the next day until noon.
This finally enabled me to break my plateau despite being in a wheelchair because I can only walk a few steps.
I have transitioned to a rollerator with a seat. 
I eat mainly meat and veggies. He told me to cut out bread. I received more nutritional advice from the nurse after a test I had done to monitor my health issue. It suggested cutting processed food.
I also recommend speaking with a dietician. She suggested I increase my protein intake. This has controlled my hunger, I eat less and have less food craving at night. I was snacking on fruit. She suggested I eat protein with a fruit.
I have lost over 30lbs despite spending most of that time in a wheelchair. I admit most of it was lost due to nausea I had when my mystery illness after covid began. I still can't walk too far but making improvements with rollerator. Weight is coming off  very slowly now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Start where you're at: Go to calculator.net where you'll find Calorie Calculator. Punch in the right data...weight, height, age, etc. I always select Sedentary No Exercise. This should tell you how many calories it takes to just be alive sitting on a chair with no activity. Now, with knowing how many calories it takes to just be alive, reduce that number of calories by 200 to 500 calories to maintain a daily diet caloric deficit. Totally cut out the junk food. That includes no fast food. Until you get things under control...no restaurant eating out either. Rid your home of the following foods: Cookies; High Sugar Carby Cereal, Sugar, Candy, Candy Bars, Energy Drinks, Pop, Ice-cream, Spaghetti, Mac-Cheese, Bacon, Sausage...etc. Make your calorie intake be of wholesome, nutritious food: Chicken Breast; Turkey Burgers; Turkey Bacon; Round Steak; Salmon; Cod; Halibut; Tuna; Hard Boiled Eggs, Lettuce; Spinach; Cabbage; Onions, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts; Cauliflower; Green Beans; Black Beans; Pinto Beans; Black Eyed Peas; Blueberries; Apples; Avocados; Pineapple; Walnuts; Almond Milk; Low Carb Cereal. Make up your daily diet with these foods while making sure your portions are tracked correctly and making sure you total out 200 calories less than what your sedentary weight requires. Now, a daily 200 calorie deficit from diet will net you approximately 1.7 lb loss of fat per month (20 lb per year). However, exercising...say aerobic exercise...for 30 to 45 minutes daily...or even walking 30 to 45 minutes daily...will net you an additional 300 to 400 calories burned each day. Now, add the 400 calorie burn from daily exercise on to your 200 calorie burn from your daily diet deficit...and you end up achieving a 600 total calorie deficit each day. Now, take those 600 calories x 30 days to equal 18,000 calories burned each month (5 lb of fat per month). 12 months x 5 lb of fat = 60 lb per year. There you go. Eat healthy...Real Healthy. Maintain a daily 200 or more-diet caloric deficit, Track-Track-Track...Accurately!  And daily exercise. If you truly stayed within these guidelines, I'd bet the farm that you would lose the weight according to the calculations I provided above. It might be a year journey, or, if you need to lose, say 100 lb., it might be a 2-year journey. But time goes by fast. Best wishes for much success!

Best Answer