Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End my suffering please

Ok a slightly dramatic subject tittle but i need help : 

I have been on this journey for 18 months and I'm not liking it. 

I am 33 years old, 5ft 4 , 147 lbs i have PCOS making my struggle slightly more difficult. I aim to tobe 135 lb which is a 14 lb lose. 

So what am i doing wrong or right. MFP is set to 0.5 lb a week lose as i dont have a huge amount to lose, I'm also on fitbit set to the same. 

my TDEE is 1972 

BMR 1357 

Calorie set at 1650 

I swim and where possible walk 10,000 steps each day, slacking slightly recently due to a new job. 

My fitbit states my calorie deficit on recent weeks a - 2000 or more - what does this mean ?? is this good or bad ? 

My MFP states for the past few weeks that i have only been slightly over with my calories each week maybe a 100 or so 

I welcome any help or advice as to what is going wrong why am i not losing weight ?? 

Many many thanks in advance

Best Answer
0 Votes
41 REPLIES 41

Marilyn Monroe's diet.  Hardly low cal:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/if-you-are-what-you-eat-you-wont-believe-marilyn-monroes-diet...

And here's a great blog post about the celebrities of yesteryear:

http://franklymydear-blog.blogspot.com/2012/07/classic-hollywood-all-shapes-sizes.html

In the late 60s, Twiggy's body style became all the rage.  She ushered in the era of the coffee and cigarette diet.  Unfortunately, we still look to those types of bodies as inspirational, taking out of the equation the unhealthy habits that were required to attain that look.

Best Answer
0 Votes

According to the USDA, the aggregate caloric intake in 2000 was 3800 (hence the rise in obesity rates).  In the 1950s it was was 3000.  In the 1970s it was 3300.  So I don't think the current recommended amounts of 1800-2000 are out of line at all.

http://www.usda.gov/factbook/chapter2.pdf

Best Answer
0 Votes

right, so after restricting in my teens, over exercising in my 20's, low-fat, lowcarb, a hysterectomy and hypothyroid in my 40's, there is no way "normal" calorie counts or BMR or anything were going to work for me, all I was doing was gaining - how many other woman are in my same boat?

I did get the weight down, it is now easily maintained, my lab numbers are normal and after starting with 1000, I am finally able to eat 1400 cals a day by gradually increasing, but sloooowly. Rebuilding a metabolism takes time.

Inga
Best Answer
0 Votes

As you point out, rebuilding a metabolism takes time. 

In your situation taking a very low calorie approach doesn't appear to have had any side effects.  But that might not be the outcome in ever case, clearly messing with one's metabolism can have lasting effects, both positive and negative.  We are all happy to think we are upping our metabolism for hours after a workout.  But the opposite effect will happen if we don't eat enough.  Do that for a few weeks and some individuals might cause a fairly term change.  So, I don't think its wise for a woman with a BMI in the normal range take the risk of restricting calories to almost 3,500 a week below her BMR.  

I think it is important to remember other people don't have the same medical history or gentic makeup.   What works well for me might be a disaster for others.  

Best Answer

Wow, you guys. All I am saying is that if a woman posts that she is doing all the stuff everyone tells her to do and she isn't losing, maybe she already did damage to her metabolism and all those BMR rules don't apply to her.

If she wishes to she could experiment to see what her "efficient" system will lose at. It is up to her. I'm no doctor but I went to several and didn't get any help with this, all I got was the same, "you should be losing at 1600 cals per day, obviously you aren't measuring accurately." 

Inga
Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow folks i didnt know my psot would cause such differerence of opinion. 

Thank you all who has posted, i am enjoying reading what everyone thinks. To point out i will not be taking the advice of only eaing 900 -1000 calories, blimey i would be one hungry/grumpy lass even it did make me a skinny minnie. 

I have since i wrote this post, beeen more aware of the un measureed foods i eat as one post pointed out, it does add on a calories...  ooopss!   I have mainted my weight for the past few weeks by keeping my caloire in v's caloires out figure about the same. I think looking over my figures for the past several months, my issue was that my figures in v's out were all over the place my body wasnt having a consistent level. Does this make sense ? is this possibly the reason? 

I am also having more tests at the doctors incase its not my PCOS/hormones to blame. 

Thanks again, keep the advice/views coming. Im sure im not the only one who is benefitting from this post. 

Best Answer

Good for you, Lex, don't give up! While you are running tests, I do believe that measuring foods and working with the fitbit dietlog is the way to go. 

Inga
Best Answer

Please never ever go under 1000 calories without consulting a physician!

Best Answer

I don't think I caught if you sync MFP and Fitbit, because it sure sounded like MFP was static and way under what Fitbit was finding.

It's not just the eating level, it's the eating level and deficit compared to the amount of activity that will cause your body to adapt slower.

And MFP is estimating your non-exercise maintenance before taking that deficit.

Fitbit is constantly calculating your TDEE that includes exercise which MFP adjusts to and then takes that deficit.

So you may have a reasonable goal loss amount, but off an already badly underestimated TDEE.

Because while bad food logging can start to cause issues when you have little to lose and little margin for error to still see good results, one would have to be very dishonest with themselves to overcome a 1000 calorie or more deficit with bad food logging.

I'm betting this is closer to what might have happened if you really have had those big calorie deficits.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-l...

This may explain some of what is happening. The body's stress from the disease also has a bearing on how much deficit it can take. Though 1 lb sure sounds reasonable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lex69,

Your body frame is very similar to mine, so I think I can relate to what you are going through. 

If I am understanding correctly, you are eating 1650 calories per day? That seems a bit high. According to the calculator, you should decrease your calories. For more extreme weight loss, eat just a little under your BMR. I cannot say whether or not you should eat under your BMR because I am not a doctor, and mon-medical professionals should not give certain kinds of advice. Doing so is dangerous and irresponsible. The image below shows your results from a calorie intake calculator: 

stats.jpg

My advice is to simply eat a healthy nutritious diet within a healthy calorie range. Obsessing over every aspect of your diet might start to ware you down. Probably eating one or two hundred calories above your BMR would be good, but again, only a doctor should answer that question.

Are you doing any weight training? Putting on more lean muscle over the next year will probably help keep the fat down. 

Also, you suffer from PCOS. If I am understanding that correctly, that is Polycystic ovary syndrome. One of the side effects of PCOS is insulin resistance. If that is the case, you will find yourself with a little hyperglycemia. I do not have PCOS, but I do suffer from hyperglycemia and fainted too many times to count.  How often are you eating? Again, that issue should be addressed with a doctor.

My advice is pretty simple. To keep your metabolism up eat at least 4 times a day, 5 if you can do it. Eat within a healthy calorie range. Incoroprate a good serving of dark greens in your diet every day. Hit the weights, put on muscle. Eat four or five times a day. 

Good Luck

Heart

Naomi Gutierrez
Best Answer

@lex69 wrote:

Ok a slightly dramatic subject tittle but i need help : 

I have been on this journey for 18 months and I'm not liking it. 

I am 33 years old, 5ft 4 , 147 lbs i have PCOS making my struggle slightly more difficult. I aim to tobe 135 lb which is a 14 lb lose. 

So what am i doing wrong or right. MFP is set to 0.5 lb a week lose as i dont have a huge amount to lose, I'm also on fitbit set to the same. 

my TDEE is 1972 

BMR 1357 

Calorie set at 1650 

I swim and where possible walk 10,000 steps each day, slacking slightly recently due to a new job. 

My fitbit states my calorie deficit on recent weeks a - 2000 or more - what does this mean ?? is this good or bad ? 

My MFP states for the past few weeks that i have only been slightly over with my calories each week maybe a 100 or so 

I welcome any help or advice as to what is going wrong why am i not losing weight ?? 

Many many thanks in advance

If Fitbit sees you as deficit of 2000 calories for a week, or 285 daily, and you are eating about 1650 - it means Fitbit sees you actually burning around 1935 on average daily.

So you got your TDEE correct. And that is indeed the 250 deficit desired about.

And yours is exactly the type of activity the Fitbit is great at estimating your TDEE at. You can look at the weekly email report to see what it says under average burned daily.

Now, swimming it obviously knows nothing about, so hopefully you are manually logging that on MFP so they sync to Fitbit and increase the TDEE correctly.

It may be your TDEE is higher yet.

You got the right idea that a smaller loss goal is more reasonable this close to the end.

Since smaller margin of error, need more accuracy too, so logging of food by weight is very important.

Because you could overcome a 285 calorie deficit easily with poor logging.

Weigh not only your servings out, but if eating the entire package of something, weigh the package and do your own math for how many servings in it.

Surprising how "about 2 servings per package" is really 2.5 - 3 by weight divided correctly.

Do you have positive and negative adjustments on MFP?

Do you have your activity level set to sounds like Lightly Active with all that walking?

And you already said goal loss was 1/2 weekly, and you appear to be getting that 250 deficit on average.

If you just kicked up the exercise a notch, water retention easily part of it.

If new job you mentioned is stressful, increased cortisol can cause more water retention masking the fat loss.

At least your deficit isn't so extreme to cause that effect to be worse.

Are inches dropping when measuring many spots?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Naomi,

Any chance of getting the link to this calculator??? Please? Pretty please? Begging....

Thanks!

Jen

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have PCOS too.  According to the math, I should be losing 1.5 lbs each week, but lose more like .5 lbs.  I don't sweat it since I'm moving in the right direction.  Having PCOS is a major pain, but keep your spirits up and know you are not alone.  

Best Answer

@JenJBS wrote:

Naomi,

Any chance of getting the link to this calculator??? Please? Pretty please? Begging....

Thanks!

Jen

Some people don't realize it, but instead of guessing and hoping to pick the correct level from 4-5 options...

Your Fitbit is already giving you personalized infinite TDEE every single day.

Eat less than that, and you will lose weight. And Fitbit does that setup too.

Well, unless you've screwed up your metabolism, in which case Fitbit, and those TDEE tables, would be inflated.

You just have to correct for stuff it doesn't esitmate right, like swimming, spin/bike, lifting, elliptical, other non-step based exercise.

Oh yeah, you can find TDEE calculators all over the place, just search Google.

Or this spreadsheet, stay on the Simple Setup tab and Progress tab.

Get your bodyfat %, best BMR, better activity calc outside Fitbit based on activity type and time, and best estimate TDEE. And track progress with inches and weight.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdFlRQXUtankwMGloTXZQZjJ5YS0zaXc&usp=sharing

Best Answer
0 Votes

900-1000 calories a day sounds WAY too low, especially if you are exercising.  I guess it depends on what you are eating, but please be careful not to encourage others to adopt an eating disorder.  I've stopped counting my calories, but when I was eating about 1700 a day, I lost weight.  Granted, I'm only 22, so I'm sure my metabolism is faster than most on here.  If you count calories for a while, just to see what you're really consuming, then you get a feel for what you can eat in a day, and you don't have to be so meticulous about it.  

In my experience, if you are eating reasonably, then exercise is the key to losing those unwanted pounds.  As long as you aren't a glutton, and you try to get some fruits and veggies in and avoid processed and sugary foods, exercise will get the job done.  Just up your step count by a 1,000 steps at a time.  I got my fitbit a week ago and I'm at the point where I get 10,000 steps in easily by mid-day.  It seems to be working so far as I've lost about 5 pounds. I don't expect to keep that pace up, but its just an example of how exercise, not extreme calorie restriction, can make all the difference.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Indri, I use the scale for most pasta and meats but a measuring cup for liquids, yougurts etc.  Thanks for these links: I will check them out.  

I also agree that going below 1000 calories is not a good idea.  I'm at 1600 per day and I am losing.  Just under a pound a week.  I try to be diligent in logging my intake.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The funny thing is that Marilyn Monroe would not be "curvy" (today's euphemism for overweight/obese) by today's standards.  It is documented that she was a perfect size 10 in the 1960's.  That is the same measurements as a US size 4 in 2014 after vanity sizing became all the rage.  She ate a high-protein, low carb, low calorie diet to maintain her figure and allow for the extra calories of all the alcohol she ingested.  She really isn't a role model for healthy living.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't think you can say NO woman will lose weight at 1600 calories. I eat just under that and I've lost 38lbs so far since February.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My daughter has PCOS and she is 22. If you can find a way to do a low carb low suger regimine, you will lose weight. PCOS sufferers have a difficulty losing weight, because they tend to store  the sugers from food, which in turn can build up and start storing in your organs. You have a better chance watching the carbs and sugar intake, and try to drink 85 oz of water, which helps tremendously in weight loss and is good for you, my daughter drinks 5  16.9oz  bottles  of water each day.  I feel for you and all PCOS sufferers, you have a much harder time losing weight, Best of luck to you, and if you don't have access to a gym, walk daily!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

''Marilyn Monroe's diet.  Hardly low cal''

Marilyn Monroe was hardly close to being low in weight though. 🙂 I am not surprised that she ate more calories. If anything she was higher on the weight spectrum, without being obese. (And I'm not knocking her; she was beautiful.) 🙂

That said, maybe the OP would find some benefit in cycling calories? Not always taking in the same amount of calories a day? A lot of people say that it helps kick start weight loss.

Other reputed things that have helped me (even so much as losing extra fluid when I used to train for marathons):

-get. enough. sleep. Vital, vital 🙂

-green tea (although make it weaker at first...it can be extremely detoxifying!)

-activities which help with lymph drainage...such as jumping on a rebounder

-dry skin brushing

-drinking sufficient water

And be very careful with counting calories, if you are going that route, which it sounds like you are. Most people underestimate how much they eat and overestimate how much they work out, in my opinion, which can be leading you to skew your numbers. Some people are off by hundreds and hundreds of calories a day. Maybe cycle through 1,200 calories to 1,400 calories a day for about a week (keep it all highly nutrtitious - no junk!) and then mildly increase exercise. Try to determine at what intake (for calories) and outtake (for burning calories) you start to see the scale budge at... It's easier to try eating mostly veggies (low cal anyway) mixed with shake mixes and such that have a calorie amount that is easier to determine.

Good luck!

“The game is afoot.” ― Sherlock Holmes, Adventure of the Abbey Grange
Best Answer
0 Votes