Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone gained weight after gallbladder removal

Hi I aam new here and wondered if anyone has experienced this, I gain weight so easily and cannot lose ever since my gallbladder was removed....I am not a big eater and never was nor do I eat a lot of fatty food but I have tracked my food intake since March 09 on WW, had my gallbladder out one year ago and have gained 10 pounds and cannot lose it...any help would be so appreciated.

Best Answer
59 REPLIES 59

Even though you think you don't eat a lot  of fatty foods, what fat you do get probably is not being digested as easily as it was when you had a gall bladder. You might want to check with a good naturopath for some recommendations on digestive enzymes. Of course, always check supplements with our M.D. as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had mine removed about 2 months ago.  I monitor my calorie intake with MFP and started concentrating on getting more steps in.  I have gone from averaging 5000 a day to 16000 steps.  I've gained 1 pound.  I had lost about 40 pounds before and at 222 know that I'm not where I need to be.  I can't seem to start loosing again since I had my gallbladder removed.  It's frustrating, but I never thought about it being my gallbladder being removed.

Best Answer

My surgeon warned me after my operation that I needed to be 'mindful' of my food intake due to gaining weight.  I've heard lots of stories of people finding it hard going after.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think also before you have your gallbladder removed you really don't feel like eating most of the time or when you do it can be painful so you eat way less! Then afterwards gradually you discover food is yummy again (yay) so I guess its possible people eat a bit more than they might realise. I'm trying to use my fitbit to make sure I keep good track of intake.

Best Answer
Yes and I hate to believe it is hopeless but so far that's my opinion unfortunately. Sally Joller Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I had mine out two years ago and was told that nothing needed to change in my diet.  Boy was that a load of crap!  I went from 160lbs to 200lbs... currently at 210lbs... I'm eating healthier than I have my whole life and exercising 6 days a week....  Just keep gaining it.  It is all around my core.   

If any of you have suggestions - I'm all ears...or eyes! 

Best Answer

@residential1 wrote:

Hi I aam new here and wondered if anyone has experienced this, I gain weight so easily and cannot lose ever since my gallbladder was removed....I am not a big eater and never was nor do I eat a lot of fatty food but I have tracked my food intake since March 09 on WW, had my gallbladder out one year ago and have gained 10 pounds and cannot lose it...any help would be so appreciated.

I had mine out two years ago and was told that nothing needed to change in my diet.  Boy was that a load of crap!  I went from 160lbs to 200lbs... currently at 210lbs... I'm eating healthier than I have my whole life and exercising 6 days a week....  Just keep gaining it.  It is all around my core.   

If any of you have suggestions - I'm all ears...or eyes! 

Best Answer

Quite possibly the subject of this thread should be changed from "Has anyone gained weight after gallbladder removal"  to "Has anyone NOT gained weight after gallbladder removal".  I had mine out a number of years ago as emergency surgery.  I was sent home after two days in the hospital, and immediately began putting on weight.  I had to drastically cut the fats in my diet to get back into my healthy zone. Everyone I have talked with that had the same surgery had the same problem.

Best Answer
Hi yes it's the great American hoax and you are not alone trust me.. after much digging around I find it's hopeless, they throw around digestive enzymes that are supposed to help and I swear they make you gain, it's a sad situation and I wish someone had an answer for us 😰

Sally Joller
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Digestive enzymes you take after surgery help the body absorb more nutrients for that reason you gain weight more easily than before as nothing you eat go to waste anymore especially fatty foods. All you have to find now what is your correct metabolism rate 1600, 2000, 2500 , adjust your calories intake or exercise more . 

Best Answer
Everything I read says the opposite, it says the enzymes act like your gallbladder and help digest and get rid of food etc, so not sure what the answer is😩

Sally Joller
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Answer is low fat diet and make sure you have accurately calculated your BMR to ensure you can control your calorie intake and macro balance. Also, check where your macros are coming from - eat whole foods where possible. If you still struggle then keep a food diary and share it with a nutritionist to get some professional feedback on what you are eating that is potentially the source of the weight gain/lack of weight loss.

You should check the basics before using any supplements or 'fad' foods.

Best Answer
Thanks so much for your help😃

Sally Joller
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I  have had a harder time gaining weight. I did rapidly level back out to 190 after being 155 due to being sick with gallbladder trouble. However, I think the most reasonable explination is your replacing fats in your diet with carbs and sugar( very common in western world). Think about it, the fear of fats drives us to consume more carbs. Its simple, fats are almost double the kcalories as carbs but carbs cause an insulin spike. So, we compensate for the lost "fat" calories by doubling out "carb" intake. Carbs= fats, Fats= weight loss( some people call this idea KETO). So, eat healthier carbs and cut out Sugar(YES I SAID IT) and you WILL lose weight!!!   

ALL SUGAR

and.... SWITCH BAD CARBS(Soda,white bread so on) FOR STARCHY CARBS( Potatoes, rice etc)

This  IS the solution. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MedicCruce wrote:

the most reasonable explanation is you’re replacing fats in your diet with carbs and sugar (very common in western world). 

The problem of Western societies isn’t that we "replaced" fats with carbs (including sugar). We consume plenty of all macronutrients. The problem is we consume too much of everything, in relation to our activity (which tends to decrease over time, because of automatization, computerization etc.). For an active person whose total intake matches their energy expenditure, there’s no problem having some sugary stuff in their diet. Obviously, it’s a better idea to get your sugar from natural sources like fruits (which come with fiber and micronutrients) rather than highly processed sources like sodas, cookies etc. (which are devoid of any nutrients). But a slice of cheesecake (typical food item that has all macronutrients in it, not just "evil" carbs) every now and then won’t kill you or ruin your health,

This  IS the solution. 

If it were that simple, the problem would have been solved long ago. There are many ways to eat for good health.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Well that's a given of course. Total calorie consumption versus exercise is very obvious. Did not know i had to spell that out for anyone. However carbohydrates and sugar are responsible for weight in those calories. They say abs are made in the kitchen. There's a reason for that, of course exercise is important, but diet is way more important. Examine your processed low quality carbohydrates, if there are too many you need to cut those down. Also it's not a good idea especially for somebody who's having issues with gaining weight to occasionally have a sweet treat of cheesecake or whatever sugary delight. Sugar equals fat all day long. It's recommended max daily allowance 25 grams. However it's recommended zero if you can. Sure you can get fructose from your fruit sources. However you should still be pretty slack on that. In reference to losing weight it always comes down to carbs in sugar.. and of course, of

Course, of course exercise but I mean this is the Fitbit community so I figure we're probably all focus on that anyways.  

Cut sugar

Lower bad carbs

No cheat days ( don't be weak or you won't meet your goal)

And of course continue to exercise. 

This IS the solution. 

(This applies a little less to people with hormonal issue that require treatment due to specific illnesses, but still applies to some degree after treatment) 

Best Answer

The same thing happenen to me also. It been 2.5 yrs. Since my surgery and if I had know about weighht gain I would of never had the surgery and would found another way as I only had stones.

Best Answer

Nah, you can maintain a normal weight after surgery. Just stop eating so much. It's simple

Best Answer
0 Votes
You are wrong I have been dieting since gallbladder removed and am gaining
weight only in the upper belly. I also have medical issue kike gerds.
Fibromyalgia and epilepsy so dont know if it meds or medical issue
Best Answer