Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone gained weight after gallbladder removal

Hi I aam new here and wondered if anyone has experienced this, I gain weight so easily and cannot lose ever since my gallbladder was removed....I am not a big eater and never was nor do I eat a lot of fatty food but I have tracked my food intake since March 09 on WW, had my gallbladder out one year ago and have gained 10 pounds and cannot lose it...any help would be so appreciated.

Best Answer
59 REPLIES 59

Hi there Bee

Thanks for your input. It seems that there isn't much if any aftercare at all. Reading all the replies you are virtually left to get on with it. And, this seems to be widespread across many countries. Maybe "they" don't know.

I am cutting back on calories and exercising but the couple of kilos I put on just won't budge. Am about to cut all carbs. Don't eat much fat anyway.

I was told "eat what you like" when I left hospital back in May.

Good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had mine out about 2 yrs ago. I have several other health issues and attributed my 50 lb weight gain to those other things at first. I was talking with my neighbor recently about this and she told me she was told by her Dr, following her gallbladder surgery she would most likely gain weight. Particularly around your middle. This is all true! I don't eat a lot and I don't eat a lot of sugar. I'm physically disabled and I can't even manage some of the most basic exercises. I feel stuck and I'm so down on myself and unhappy. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks so much! This is the best info I've heard so far and it really gives me hope!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had my gallbladder removed and I lost a lot  of weight 

snd I want to gain it back.  What can I do 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Susan89 wrote:

I had my gallbladder removed and I lost a lot  of weight 

snd I want to gain it back.  What can I do 

Eat more food within the restrictions of your new condition (see Mayo Clinic’s take on that here). Whether or not you have a gallbladder, the principles of energy balance still apply: if you are in a caloric surplus, you will gain weight, if you are in a deficit, you will lose.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing for me. I never had to watch my weight. After gallbladder removal I gained 30 lb. I have tried so much but was never used to having to watch my food or be at the gym. Now I do both and am hoping it helps. Good luck!

Best Answer

Thanks for your reply. It helps to know it is an issue.

Best Answer

me too, i eat and exercise exactly as i did before my surgery but have gained nearly 20 pounds in 9 months.

nobody said anything to me about this pre surgery, it is extremely frustrating but I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has reversed this weight gain

Best Answer

So I also had issues with gaining weight after surgery and finally turned it around.  It is much much harder to lose weight after surgery but can be done.  This is partly because healthy fats actually help manage weight and you can not process them as well.

Many people are posting on calorie counting as a way to lose weight and this does not work.  It works short term only.  Your base metabolic rate is flexible so slight variations in calories just cause your metabolism to slow - which is why calorie restriction cause yo-yo effect. There multiple multiple studies on this now (Calorie restriction diet being ineffective).  It hasn't fully made it into the mainstream but the research is there if you start looking.

Prior to the gallbladder surgery, I went for years gaining weight out of control until I was over 360 pounds - no amount of calorie restriction or exercise worked. I would lose weight short term and then always gain back more.  This effect is well documented in many studies and a good book on this Dr. Jason Fung's book "The Obesity Code."  There is never a reuinion episode of the Biggest Loser TV because everyone on it using calorie restriction and exercise only gained everything back.  Just Google this.

Finding hormone changing diets and fasting changed my life.  These are Ketogenic (Keto) Diets, Whole 30 (which was a lifesaver) and fasting (both intermittent and full fasting).  I lost 90 lbs in a little over a year and it stayed off until my surgery.  The rapid weight loss is likely what induced the gallbladder problems as it well-known complication of rapid weight loss, especially in bariatric surgery patients.

After losing weight I needed surgery during which time I had multiple hospital stays where the doctors put me on high sugar and high carb diets which basically ruined all the work I did in resetting my metabolism.  After the surgery, I started gaining weight on the same mostly paleo diet I was losing weight on previously.

Going back to basics of a Whole 30 diet, alternating with Keto and fasting finally halted the weight gain and I started losing.  But it is far far more difficult and harder than before.  I have to be more strict but I have slowly seen results. I lost the weight I gained after the surgery, and I am still losing but it is difficult.  

Basically eliminate all processed sugar and sugar substitutes.

Cook as much as you can for yourself and eat whole foods with as little processing as possible.

Time restrict your eating to a 12 hr window or less.

A high fat - low carb diet is good.  Fats cause you to lose weight if they are not mixed with processed sugar and carbs (like say in a donut).

Read up on full fasting for weight loss - this seems extreme if you never tried but often easier than calorie-restricted diets (which never work) once you get over the psychological barrier.  And weight loss is amazing and stays off.

Exercise does help but not as much as diet - however, exercise also makes you feel good.

Best of Luck in getting back on track 

Best Answer

I had mine removed many years ago.  

I have always struggled with obesity,  first being "just" overweight at 10 yrs old, and continually getting larger, with yo yo years in between.  

I couldn't (didn't) lose weight and keep it off all these years.  That is, UNTIL I went to a low carb food plan.  Mind you, it's high fat. VERY high, especially considering the (old school) thinking of go low fat, up your carbs, etc.

At 64 years of age,  I found low carb. I was 384 pounds (obviously not "just" because my gall bladder had been removed).  

Over 200 pounds dumped!

Don't be fooled by the old recommendations.

I know so many who have also had a cholecystectomy, and have lost weight on this. The "avoid fats" is not accurate.   New studies, proper SCIENTIFIC studies,  not paid for by the sugar and grain industries, are now being recognized. 

Additionally, my 39 yr old son had his gall bladder removed last year.  Both his surgeon and PCP said the body adjusts in less than a few months.

While I am not saying that my way of eating is the best for everyone, be sure you get advice from those who learn CURRENT ways of thinking, and aren't stuck in the 70s and 80s.

You'll be fine.  Honest!

Do your research,  look at MODERN studies.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I continued to have other digestion issues beyond just the weight gain. Just this year, I tested positive for Celiac disease. I hope this isn't the case for too many others, but for me it was also part of the problem. One thing to note about testing is that if you have already cut gluten out of your diet, the test can come back as a false negative. I'm hoping this will help my journey with loosing the weight I gained. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey is there anyway we can get into contact? I’d love for you to speak to one of my clients... she got gailbladder surgery 12 weeks ago and we have been struggling to take that weight off she needs encouragement I think from someone who’s been through something like what you have.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I went from 155 to 180 less than a year after my gallbladder removal surgery. I am not a binge eater and I walk alot. I am 45 and have never had much belly fat. Now I can starve for a week and not lose a pound. It is so frustrating. I am still trying but it feels impossible 😭. I managed to lose a bit now 166 but feels  like I never eat.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BellyBeGone  Congratulations on your excellent progress of losing down to 166 already.  If you google or go to "weight gain after gallbladder removal: causes and what to do"  healthyandnaturalworld.com  you will see that you are not alone.  It IS a battle.  At that website they will give you lots better suggestions than  you can get here probably.  Best wishes.

Best Answer
Yes that sounds familiar, the tactics and diet for weight loss that I used before gallbladder surgery do not work anymore.
My diet and exercise is the same as before yet i am now 25 pounds heavier 😩
Best Answer

@BellyBeGone @weebill @bee2016   I can't get my computer to open at the current spot.  I was just reading many  old posts where this discussion has been going on for years.  Sounds like all you ladies should have your thyroid checked and blood sugar.  Hashimoto's disease seems to go with gallbladder problems.  And when I googled, changes in your metabolism was mentioned.  So just doing what always worked before probably will not have exactly the same results.  Maybe you should google for the latest studies on diet for "post gallbladder removal" to avoid weight gain and see what you find?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually, both my mother and my mother-in-law lost weight post-gallbladder removal. I am still definitely terrified of weight gain, since I’ve  dropped 20-25 pounds in the last 8-10 months, and really prefer the way I feel now. My removal was two weeks ago, so I’m hoping I can still head it off at the pass. I see the surgeon again tomorrow (for last post-surgical check), and I plan on talking to him about it. The surgeon who removed mine actually shares a practice with another surgeon whose wife and I are very good friends, and we all like each other. He couldn’t do my gallbladder in a timely manner, but his partner said he could. I know this is a long way down the bend, BUT, their practice’s bread and butter is bariatric surgery. So I’m hoping he’ll be able to get me some realistic answers on weight gain after removal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I started discovering my old easy-drop weight loss habits stalled out around my 35th birthday. This year I did what I now know (though I didn’t at the time) was apparently I stumbled into “intermittent fasting.” I only heard the term for the first time a couple of months ago, after a guy my husband works with was talking about *his weight loss. My husband what’s like, “holy crap.” To me? I was just only eating what I felt like eating, when I felt like eating it. I have 100% noticed *already, though, that I have a bigger appetite. Some of that is mestrually-pegged, since it’s happened from when I first got my period. (Kind of like those awful pre-menstrual headaches.) I’m trying to keep myself busy again, since that’s basically how I started it...that plus (hand to God) my fitbit shamed me into more activity. But I’m not gonna lie: I’m still nervous as a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs as far as losing weight or even just *maintaining my initial loss, goes. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The was extremely helpful to me for my daughter - He mentioned some things that doctors never told us. https://youtu.be/24jitdT7z58

For more info on health-related topics, go here: http://bit.ly/390bvzI Take Dr. Berg's Free Keto Mini-Course: http://pxlme.me/-i717vtY or go here: https://www.drberg.com/how-to-do-ketosis Things to Help Increase Bile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h64_7DYf5_0 Download Keto Essentials ...
Best Answer

I use the homeopathic LycoPlum 200 combo. It’s wonderful in relieving constipation. Also LycoArs 200/3 Lycopodium 200 with Arsenicum Album 3) combo is great for bloating.

Best Answer
0 Votes