Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fasting for weightloss

Hello Everyone,

Looking for someone who fasts regularly to give me some tips on how to use fasting for weightloss.  Not intermittent fasting.  I do that already.  I am talking about a one day fast every week from food.  ,Any tips will help.

In gratitude,

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @healthwise73 , this is a very interesting topic!

When you write "Fasting " do you mean, leaving a meal out, our fasting as not eating anything at all during the whole day?

If it's the first one, I'll advise you to have a big meal to start the day and depending on the meal you are leaving out, take more grains or fibers. 

For the second one, I'm not an expert, but I don't know if your body can regulate to leave a full day out of food. 
I know that a lot of people do this for religion proposes, but even they have a small meal at the end of the day. 

Maybe there is someone who knows better among the Community! 

I also would like to learn more about this. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a lot of experience with fasting. My longest fast was a 21 day water fast, but now that I'm at my goal weight I just do a three day fast every three months to get the benefit of autophogy. I would highly recommend reading "The Complete Guide to Fasting" by Dr. Jason Fung. It'll tell you absolutely everything you need to know. If you'd like to start with something less involved you can watch his lectures to medical professionals on YouTube, just search his name. He is a Canadian nephrologist who has cured many people of Type 2 diabetes through fasting.

In my experience the first day is the most difficult. After day three it becomes easy, the hunger just disappears. If you've never done a long term fast starting with a one day fast and then building from there is a good plan. Supplement with Electrolytes so that you don't have unpleasant and/or dangerous side effects like nausea, dizziness, leg cramps, and heart palpitations. Those side effects almost never from lack of food but issues with your electrolyte balance (the longest recorded fast in history was a man that fasted for 380 days without issues and never regained the weight he lost). There is a liquid electrolyte supplement called LyteShow that has no calories (so it won't break the fast) that can be purchased on Amazon. Make sure to drink enough water (your weight in pounds divided by two is the approx oz of water you need). Hot tea or black coffee can feel better on an empty stomach and caffeine can help curb hunger earlier in the day.

It can be difficult to sleep on an empty stomach, Epson salt baths really help as the magnesium is absorbed through your skin which helps to relax your muscles and can have a sedative effect. With longer fasts you are surviving strictly on your stored body fat, and since toxins are stored in fat cells there can be unpleasant detox symptoms as they are released into the body. Using a natural binding agent like activated charcoal or bentonite clay can help clear your system and ease discomfort.

Fasting is mostly a mental thing so prepare your environment accordingly.  Put away any food or beverages that might be tempting and leave your electrolytes, coffee, and teas in a visible location. Write yourself a mission statement and put it in your kitchen to remind yourself why you're doing this in moments of weakness. If you feel ready to cave agree to wait five minutes before deciding, usually by then the urge will be weaker and you can keep going.

Keep yourself busy with non strenuous activities (now is not the time for high intensity exercise) and avoid situations where you'll be tempted by food. Good luck!

Best Answer

Dear Maya

Very interesting your posting. I learned about Intermittent Fasting, IF, in September 2019 and since then I have already lost 28 pounds while doing IF at an average of 18 hours per day: it is amazing how it works!  I wish I had learned about IF long before... 

I haven't tried long term fasting yet but I feel very comfortable with IF: the only problem is that, after 20 months, I am loosing weight at a much lower rate than before. I also noticed that, during periods of drastic weight loss I develop insomnia (it becomes very difficult to sleep). Do you know how to minimize that? Is it possible this is a health related issue? How to minimize these ill effects while loosing weight?

Hope to hear form you.

Claudio Egalon

Best Answer
0 Votes