Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gained 5lbs Overnight?

ANSWERED

I know logically this is impossible but has this happened to anyone else? I've been working out like crazy (2-3x a day) and yesterday I only went to the gym once. I woke up today and weighed myself and I went up to 160lbs?? The day before I weighed in 155.4lbs. I start my period in a few days so is this just water weight? If so does anyone know how quickly it will go away?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@KayLenae - I am agreeing with @WavyDavey - it's water and digestion, unless somehow you ate 17,500 excess calories yesterday.  In my case, over this past weekend I gained 3.2 pounds in spite of a 5,600 calorie deficit due to exercise.  Today, I'm down 6.4 pounds from that peak.

I don't know how long it takes for women, but my weight swings are weekly due to weekend eating.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @KayLenae,

It's possible, especially with a change in water weight. Those kinds of changes happen naturally on their own, you'll probably see it again some time.

You can drive yourself nuts weighing in every day.  I just look more at weekly trends, as weight loss is a long-term project. If you do weigh daily, it's important to weigh yourself at the same time with the same hydration levels.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@KayLenae - I am agreeing with @WavyDavey - it's water and digestion, unless somehow you ate 17,500 excess calories yesterday.  In my case, over this past weekend I gained 3.2 pounds in spite of a 5,600 calorie deficit due to exercise.  Today, I'm down 6.4 pounds from that peak.

I don't know how long it takes for women, but my weight swings are weekly due to weekend eating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would definitely say that it is a temporary gain due to water and such. I have a similar thing happen to me every month. Give it a week or so and that weight plus some is bound to come off.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a great article and should be stickied to the top of this page:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/weight-fluctuation-experiment

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mukluk4 wrote:

This is a great article and should be stickied to the top of this page:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/weight-fluctuation-experiment

Interesting article. It illustrates very well how crazy weight loss can get. Weighing yourself every hour?!

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes