Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaining Muscle

I am in my late 40's, I am 5'0" and weigh 105 lbs.  I have lost a tremendous amount of muscle in the past 5-6 years.  I am what they call "fat skinny."  I have always been small, but my muscle has turned to flab.  At my healthiest I have always weighed 110-112 lbs.  I would like to gain this back in muscle, but I know with my age I need to be careful doing that.  Can anybody help me with diet & exercise plans to accomplish my goal?

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Hello @Bleurose 

You are still young enough to gain muscle mass, but I do not think you need to take special care due to your age. A diet and exercise plan could either be somewhat generic or a bit more tailored made. For the last option you need a personal trainer, nobody here can help you with that.

What might be a good starting point is Starting strength from Mark Rippletoe

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for your reply! I do have some background in strength training.
I was wondering what kind and how much protein to add to my diet to help me
to gain muscle. I can probably find a diet program online somehow.

Tiffany
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not an expert, but I would say that you should:

- Aim to ingest more calories than you burn

- Get around 2 grams of protein for 1 kg of your current body mass

- Standard protein: milk, dairy, lean meat, eggs, beans, lentils. 

Keep it simple and consistent. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think I can do that! Thanks again so much!
Best Answer

You are already at a good weight - no need to "bulk" by eating more than you burn and gaining fat too.

This will be called recomping. Compared to time to bulk and gain muscle, and then time to diet slowly to not lose muscle but mainly fat - for many is about equal.

Eat at maintenance calories to neither lose nor gain weight over the long haul.

Though if doing lifting right you will gain some water weight for recovery.

2g per kg of Lean Body Mass is actually enough - unless extra protein is just more satisfying for amount of calories you need.

Most important is a hypertrophy based lifting program, not strength program.

May want to start with strength program (5x5, ect) merely to get your existing muscles totally used, and good with form.

But then switch to hypertrophy (body building) program. There is some overlap - but they have different purposes.

Don't worry you can't get bulky like you may think hearing body building - unless male, on drugs, and totally dedicated to hours a day lifting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for all of the advice. I don't really want to."bulk up" I did
that in my late 20 years ago,, then had 2 kids back to back and regretted
having all that extra flab. My main goal is to feel good physically and
mentally, and maybe look better in my jeans as an added benefit! I'm
keeping my strength training slow for now, low weight and higher reps until
my body adjusts. I have been eating a bit more, but am hungrier now that I
am burning more calories. I'm trying to eat more lean protein, and
complex carbs, less sugar and salt. So far I feel pretty good and am
sleeping better ( which is a plus because I also have an active 6yo that I
homeachool! ) I may change up my diet and exercise regime later. My goal
is to be able to run a 5k in the next 3-4 months. I used to run 10k's
quite often.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there - I started lifting in my 40s as well. I am now 51 and have muscle definition, but I am not bulky. I started lifting with a trainer who showed me form and basic lifts that I can do once I was done training with him. I have found that alternating push and pull days helps as you are targeting and allowing recovery for specific muscle groups. I eat a lean diet and include protein in every meal. There are so many resources out there that can help you with planning daily workouts with specific targets- just make sure you use a good source. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes
That is very encouraging, thank you for your help and advice!
Best Answer
0 Votes