Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaining Weight Despite Major Lifestyle Changes

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. I need some help, I think. I started using my Fitbit about 10 days ago. I lost both parents due to their poor lifestyle choices and habits, and I don't want to follow in those footsteps. I don't want my children to go through what I've been through, so I decided to make a serious change. Fitbit has been a blessing; it gives me motivation and a way to truly track my progress. I purchased a gym membership and I work out/walk/jog religiously. I stopped eating junk food and simple carbs, and I switched to a diet rich in complex carbs for energy and lean proteins. 

There's just one problem. 

I started at 160lbs (at 5' tall, I'm significantly overweight, so my goal is to lose 40 pounds in six months to a year) and chose a food plan that would allow me to lose 1.5 pounds each week. I've followed that plan to the letter. I've worked out as much as possible, and I've even started measuring my portions so I know I'm not cheating myself out of my goals.

Over the last 10 days, I've gained nearly four pounds. 

This is very discouraging, and I'm not sure if my Fitbit isn't tracking things correctly or if I'm making some kind of mistake. I don't FEEL like I've gained four pounds, and my clothes don't fit any differently than before. However, it's disappointing and I feel like I should be going in the opposite direction. I'm more active now than I've ever been, and I'm eating healthier than I ever have. I'm also taking a multivitamin and a daily fish oil supplement to help with cardiac health and DOMS. 

Is this normal? From what I'm reading, gaining a pound or so in the first couple of weeks is to be expected... but four pounds? That seems excessive. 

Thanks for your help! 

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @ErinJ80 - congrats and welcome to your new lifestyle!  The 4 pounds is retained water weight.  To put on 4 pounds through an increase in fat and muscle mass, you would have had to have eaten an excess of 14,000 calories (4 x 3,500 calories per pound), which I doubt you did.  If, during the course of exercise and recovery eating, you become more hydrated, you will see that increased water weight on the scale.  (my water weight swings within an 8 pound window while I lose weight, I'm 50% heavier than you, so a 6 pound window for you would not surprise me)

My opinion (and I'm in the minority on this forum), is that if you try to chase two rabbits, it's harder to catch either one.   What is your highest priority - to improve your fitness or to lose weight?  The two are obviously related to general health, but achieved by different means: fitness is caused by increased physical activity (and recovery) and weight loss is caused by a caloric deficit.  There is a natural tension between the two:  exercise increases calories burned, but requires eating additional calories for full recovery.  Establishing a caloric deficit leads to weight loss but deprives you of the energy needed for exercise.

Some recent studies have shown that we have a limited mental capability to exert change and exercise self-control.  That's why personal change is so hard to sustain.  Trying to increase exercise while reducing calories is mentally tougher than focusing on one over the other.  So, if your primary goal is to increase your fitness, I would continue on your current path and if you sustain it, you will see a gradual loss of weight.  If your primary goal is to lose weight, then I'd suggest a less strenuous exercise routine (still exercise, walking is great) while you focus on taking the weight off more quickly.

I am biased towards the "lose weight first" approach, because I find that experiencing visible weight loss gives me positive emotional feedback that encourages me to stay the course.

Good luck, and let us know how it's going!

Best Answer

Daves_Not_Here, that is the best reply I've ever received in these forums. Kudos for that! 

It does seem to make sense. I've consumed far more water than I normally would, namely due to sweating my tail off during exercise. That could be translating into water weight; I find myself running to the restroom more often during the day than before. I can only assume that's a good thing! Dehydration and health certainly do not go hand-in-hand. 

I write for a fitness website, so there are some things I understand fairly well. I was just shocked to see the numbers continuing to climb despite a slight caloric deficit and LOTS of exercise. 

Your analogy was wonderful; however, I think the plan I've chosen is going to give me a little of both. Considering how sedentary I was before, I'm thinking any exercise at all will improve my fitness. My routine goes something like this: 

Leisure/moderate walking 3x a week

Treadmill/interval walking 4x a week

A cardio/strength training mix 4x a week

Yoga 7x a week (on a program designed for flexibility and joint pain relief, so it's pretty easy) 

Recovery one day a week - usually just some light walking and a yoga session

I have not drastically cut my calories, either. I think I'm on a 500-calorie deficit, and to be frank, there are times when it's difficult to even get that much down. I'm watching macronutrients carefully and supplementing with a low-carb, low-cal whey protein shake when I'm not getting enough protein during the day - especially after my really hard 90-minute workouts that consist of treadmill intervals followed by cardio. I've been told it not only facilitates lean muscle growth, but it will also help me avoid the worst of DOMS (along with Vitamin I, of course!) I just read a study that shows whey protein can help people lose about 5 more pounds on average, too, when they combine it with a cardio/strength exercise regimen. 

Again, I'm new to all of this, but I have done a ton of research. I'm ready to make adjustments if necessary, but I will NEVER go back to my sedentary, junk-food-eating ways. 🙂 

Best Answer

most that is water weight for sure...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ErinJ80 wrote:

I started using my Fitbit about 10 days ago.

[...]

Over the last 10 days, I've gained nearly four pounds. 

@ErinJ80: first of all, congrats for all the lifestyle changes you’ve decided to do.You’re clearly doing all the right things. The main issue here is with the time scope: 10 days just is too short a period to expect any major improvement. You must trust the process, and stick to it for long enough to see the results you want and deserve. The scale is a good tool to assess your progress, but you should take a longer-term approach: as others have said, the short term gain you’ve seen is most likely water. You just can’t gain (or lose) so much fat and/or (especially) muscle in such a short time. A sudden change in your activity level, or in your diet, or (especially) in both, as in your case, can cause extra water retention. Once your new activity level and your diet settle down and stay stable, you will see results: if you are in a caloric deficit, your weight will drop, over time. Weight loss usually isn’t linear: there will be ups and downs, which is why you should look at the trend, rather than at the daily fluctuations within a week. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, Dominique! That does seem to make perfect sense. I've done some reading about going from a sedentary lifestyle to an active one - which I did overnight, to be fair - and my body is still in shock. 

I have noticed some changes now that it's been closer to two weeks. 

My love handles are shrinking, which means my "muffin top" isn't quite as pronounced. That makes me happy! 

My muscles are harder and I'm stronger than I was when I started, too. That's always a good thing! 

I guess I was just really worried about gaining so much so quickly, but now that you guys have all given your two cents and I've done a little more research, it makes a lot more sense. I don't plan on slowing down any time soon, so I'll get there! 

I totally forgot to take my "before" photo, so I'll be doing that today, also! I hear that's the best way to measure progress... to compare photos of yourself every couple of weeks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wanted to add, take in mind your monthly cycle.  The less I weigh, the more I gain a few days a month.  I don't understand why!  But that weight always goes away (plus more) the 2 or 3rd day in.  When I weighed over 230, I never had a gain the week before.  Now I'm at 170ish, it is typically 2-4lbs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ErinJ80 wrote:

I totally forgot to take my "before" photo, so I'll be doing that today, also! I hear that's the best way to measure progress... to compare photos of yourself every couple of weeks. 

Yes, there are many ways to monitor your progress, besides the scale. Photos are one. Body measurements are another one. Of course, you’ll notice that with your existing clothes (when you start floating in them), but you could use a tape meter as well and write down the numbers.

If you have a Fitbit that supports it, you can also check how your Cardio Fitness Score evolves over time. Mentioning it because it’s a bit hidden in your Dashboad and I’ve noticed some new users don’t know about its existence.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes