Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Walk to the Office, join me?

Yay, I've smashed my daily 10,000+ steps goal and it's only 5pm Woman Happy  But today is a holiday and the wonderful Scottish weather is cold but dry... I know it's not always going to be this easy so I've made a plan - walk to the office and back each workday (5 days a week).

As it's 2 miles in each direction it will help me achieve the bulk of my 10,000 daily step goal which in turn will help me achieve my 8lb monthly weight loss target. 

If you too are planning on using your 'commute' to achieve your weight loss then please share your journey and help me know there are others out there walking the weight away... even when it's pishing it doon' (raining hard).

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

@BonnieLass.. I think that is a wonderful idea. my commute to work is very short.. down a flight of steps, but I walk my pups every morning for at least 7K steps and then get the rest at the gym at night. Keeps me moving and in check... good luck with the weather 🙂

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will walk to work when I go back.My only downfall is the weather when it cold here -40F with the windchill.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh my @arbie3, I thankfully won't have weather that cold but hopefully we can keep each other company after the work day is done.

How long is your walk to work? Hopefully not too long!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @emili, Well one flight of stairs is certainly a very short commute indeed! Glad you have your pups to keep you stepping. It's good you've found a routine that works for you. Thanks for the cheer. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Another day, another 11,037 steps logged... weather again cold but dry. Tomorrow set to be below freezing but that ain't going to stop me getting my 10,000 steps in Woman Happy

Best Answer

It's 10 miles to my work one-way in an area with really heavy traffic and it's not pedestrian-friendly, so no walking to work for me.  But I run 4x a week and I try to walk for 30 minutes or more on my lunch breaks.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Heather-S 10 miles is quite a commute, yet you run there 3 times a week, well done you! That is really epic. I'm very lucky to have quite a few pedestrian-friendly routes to choose from as I walk to work although I can't say I'll be running the route any time soon!

Keep up the awesome activity levels, you're an inspiration.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately @BonnieLass I'm retired so can't join you in commuting -- however, commuting via walking is indeed excellent exercise and very effective. Keep it up!

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer
0 Votes

Another day another commuter walk completed Woman Very Happy

I have to say I didn't know that this new step routine would be so entertaining...

As I exited one of the brightly lite pedestrian underpasses returning to the dark evening I walk passed four teenage boys sitting on their bikes half hidden behind a wall. No doubt they were enjoying the last few days of the festive break hanging out with friends. I'd not walked far when I found myself pivoting back to stare at the underpass as a terrified high pitched scream blasted pass me. Searching for the women in distress I found only the reddening face of a young man who is half walking, half stumbling out of the underpass. The boys were resting on the bars of their bikes laughing their heads off half way under the underpass. Thinking he'd rather me not make a comment I let the embarrassed man stride determinedly pass me and turned myself to walk home thankful that I didn't get the same treatment.

Walking further down the road for several minutes more I caught my step as I heard yet another scream, this time the voice was very deep and was almost immediately followed by quite a number of anger fueled and loud swear words. A cop car rolled on by in the next minute, silent but with its blue lights on and the cop in the passenger seat deliberately focused on my side of the street. I kept on walking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @tractorlegs you are lucky to already being retired and having no commute. I'm glad you agree walking my commute is a good way to get my steps up but can I ask you for any suggestions on how I keep up my 10,000 step momentum going even at the weekends?

I typically don't do more than 4,000 on my 'days off' but I'm guessing you've figured out lots of good ways to achieve your step goal on your everyday 'off' time.

Any ideas would be a help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've just completed my 1st Friday walking commute and apart from 1 blister, I'm feeling great about my stepping achievements this week, but it seems I need to expand my vocabulary!

In Scotland, a 'Sunday Drivers' is an affectionate term for car or motorhome driver who weaves across the single track roads as they take leisurely drives in the Highlands completely oblivious to the queue of drivers behind them desperate to overtake.

Today for just a few minutes, but for what felt like hours, I got stuck behind a man who was pushing a bike with his right hand and holding the lead of a very well behaved chocolate labrador with his left. The problem was although there was the pavement was wide enough for me to pass, he, his bike and his dog were weaving from one side of the pavement to the other with no awareness of my attempt to pass. The whole incident reminded me of the Sunday Driver phrase and after I finally passed this oblivious trio I tried to think of a term that would suit this situation.

If you already know of a term then please do share, I certainly can't be the only person to have been frustrated by a weaving pedestrian.

Best Answer

@BonnieLass wrote:

I've just completed my 1st Friday walking commute and apart from 1 blister, I'm feeling great about my stepping achievements this week, but it seems I need to expand my vocabulary!

In Scotland, a 'Sunday Drivers' is an affectionate term for car or motorhome driver who weaves across the single track roads as they take leisurely drives in the Highlands completely oblivious to the queue of drivers behind them desperate to overtake.

Today for just a few minutes, but for what felt like hours, I got stuck behind a man who was pushing a bike with his right hand and holding the lead of a very well behaved chocolate labrador with his left. The problem was although there was the pavement was wide enough for me to pass, he, his bike and his dog were weaving from one side of the pavement to the other with no awareness of my attempt to pass. The whole incident reminded me of the Sunday Driver phrase and after I finally passed this oblivious trio I tried to think of a term that would suit this situation.

If you already know of a term then please do share, I certainly can't be the only person to have been frustrated by a weaving pedestrian.

I’m enjoying your commuting adventures  @BonnieLass

The trick to getting a dog walker’s attention is to compliment his dog, (I’m surprised he wasn’t riding the bike while walking the dog but maybe he tired the poor thing out by the time you came up on him).  

As as to other self-involved walkers (I call them Mall Walkers no matter where I find them) I might say “on your left” as I try to pass, but since you are in Scotland you’ll probably go with “on your right.” 😏

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I do the same as @Baltoscott when I find a weaving person when I'm walking. I will say I need to pass on the right Please!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes