Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I plateaued? Or could it be something else? Please help :(

Hey guys,

A short back story, at 5'3 i weighed 85kg, I started my weight loss journey beginning of April, now weigh in at 73.4kg. 

I've been doing HIIT 5 days a week along with walking everyday for 30-60 minutes, eating 1,200 calories a day without fail.
I've hit a rock where my weight has gone up and is not budging! 

I've heard I would either need to eat more calories or do more exercise, but I'm really not sure
Would you guys know what can be going on?

Really disheartening, putting in so much effort and hard work all of this coming to a halt at a weight that is not my goal, its making me worry

Am I plateaued? Or could it be something else 

Thank you everyone

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

@s7mc9   You are doing very well.   Just about perfect.   Lots of experts recommend losing about 2 pounds a week,  and you are losing more than 2 & 1/2 .  You don't lose muscle that way they say, and you don't go so fast that you have a bunch of ugly loose skin which would require surgery to be rid of.  Many studies have shown that exercise doesn't help with weight loss.   If you feel disappointed and discouraged about all that effort,  reduce the effort if your goal is weight loss.  Exercise is critically important for HEALTH.  The amount that will help you avoid premature death and ill health is pathetically little.   Only 20 minutes a day of moderate activity or less of more intense activity.  More is better, but not if it causes you to eat more.   Are you  really counting calories accurately?  Only 5% of adults in the U.S. exercise the minimum recommended amount, so give yourself a pat on the back.   But maybe you could try to make exercise  a bit more enjoyable so that you don't want to give it up entirely?  If weight loss is the goal concentrate on what you are eating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the response Glenda,

I'll try include some more exercise into my daily activity, i do agree with you

Perhaps it would kick start my weight loss again hopefully!
I'm counting my calories strictly, but also making sure i'm not under eating wholefoods, fresh fruit and veg proteins such as eggs and fish 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@s7mc9   I was evidently very unclear.  I think you should probably exercise less.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Doing HIIT 5 days a week is too much. It is called high intensity for a reason, your body needs 24h to recover from such training. Also you should combine cardio or HIIT training together with strenght or resistance training, for example 3 days of HIIT training and 2 days strenght training. 

Best Answer
0 Votes