Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you lost weight since you got your Fitbit?

I am the exact same weight as I was when I got my Flex 3 1/2 months ago!

How about you?

I'm hoping with Spring here and Summer around the corner, that my walking will increase. 

Moderator edit: title

Best Answer
1,791 REPLIES 1,791

@badavis0714 wrote:
No worries. I am aiming for a 3,500 per day deficit. Most days I nail it. Some short, some over. I'm fairly certain doctors and fitness experts wouldn't recommend it but they operate with a sense of liability so it would only make sense for them to say so. It is up to people to take any and all information into consideration before starting any diet and do what they feel is best for them.

So any update @badavis0714 on what happened with your goal of losing almost 1 lb daily at the end of 2016 for 80 lbs total?

I noticed no other updates on progress for such a foolhardy plan (ya, I'm easily judging) - so curious how much of it worked out - or what happened in 2017 after you lost whatever you did manage to do?

Because frankly these types of experiences can be very useful to others that may plan on something similar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
I lost 70 pounds and have kept it off.  I watch what I eat and exercise EVERY day.  I am still where I wanted to be.  Some days I eat more some days less, but never two “more” days in a row.
Do what is best for you.  Try different things and keep doing the ones that work.
dfranniema
Best Answer

@FrannieMa   ok, go right on ahead ... uncomplicate everything and actually say something that makes sense AND offends no one 😂😂😂

@Heybales  when someone states that dieticians, docs and pretty much everyone else would not recommend an insane weight loss plan due to liability issues that person simply fails to acknowledge that they (and most everyone else not to mention reams of evidence) might just be right .  not surprised to see no follow up on this ...however he is at least trying to do something 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Lost 24lbs since the start of the year and in some previous posts I stated that a good 80% of that was just diet change alone. Weight pretty much fell off once I'd cut out sugar & processed carbs. I then hit a plateu in late April early May ( I think it was ) I went from 13 stone 4 to 11 stone 10 and then got stuck. I'm going by fat loss though, not the weight on the scales as such and bodyfat percentage. I think I was around 27% at the start of the year and after the weight loss I was stuck at 20% bodyfat. Ideally I want to get to 15% or so but nothing I did seemed to shift the final stubborn bit of belly fat.

Over the last month or so though, I've started getting results again albeit very slowly and with increasing difficulty. I'm on 19% bodyfat now but it's only started happening by getting very strict with food, cals and some strength excercises. I turned off the HR on my Blaze and seem to be getting a better cals out reading and by going by maintenence calories, I then subtract 20% of that for my deficit. So depending on activity, I'm finding eating somewhere between 1750 and 1900 seems to have kickstarted fat loss again but it's a slow moving thing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my Blaze for 2 months now, and not lost any weight, I get to 10.000 steps and cycle at least 10 miles a day with no weight loss.  As far as i can see, the only way to loose weight is to starve yourself. Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner

I feel like I'm eating more than I ever was just to get the calories I need. I don't feel hungry at all and have lost almost 2 stone since the start of the year. Obviously you can quickly fill up a days worth of calories with bad food but I found if you're sourcing from say, lean meats, leafy greens, and healthy fats, ditching sugar and processed carbs, you can easily eat until you're full and remain full. Before I started added more fat through things like walnuts, avocado etc, I was literally struggling to eat above my BMR.

What sort of foods are you eating?

Best Answer

I Don't think i eat particularly bad, I have cut out bread in the week. I have one main  meal a day,

Alcohol is weekends only. My wife cooks meals from low cal cookbooks so we have more rice than spud.  More white than red meat. Some fish.  Full English is a rare treat these days.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner it's less about what you eat and more about how much in terms of calories when it comes to losing weight. I find hard to judge by eye if the meal is really as low in calories as I expect it to be. Measuring and weighing is quite important ( at least it was for me ). Even when I tried to use any weight-loss recipe I had to measure ingredients myself and not by vague cups and spoons which may mean anything to anybody but proper grams and millilitres. I've been doing it until now despite I lost weight long time ago. Every meal measured and logged - it became a habit and I feel weird when I don't do it. Otherwise, you don't really know whether your calories deficit works ( or even if you have any deficit at all ). You don't really need to starve yourself but for sure you'd need to reduce calories intake to see any results. Exercise is good but walking 10k steps is almost nothing in the weight-loss process. Cycling, considering how much you may be freewheeling may be actually less demanding than walking ( when I cycle on the flat city streets it barely elevates my HR ) in some cases despite the distance. It's diet that makes you lose weight, exercise is always supporting thing. Measure, measure and once again - measure your calories 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I Live in the South of England, there are plenty of hills on my way to and from work. There is very little freewheeling going on. I am not disciplined enough to count calories. Although on the odd occasions when i cook, I do tend to measure ingredients exactly. I only need to loose half a stone, so not grossly over weight, but would like to shed a little bit more. I seem to be staying  at about  11stone at the moment.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you dont mind me asking, 

what did you change in your life to lose that weight? I know walking/running and a good work out but what meal plan did you follow?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would add a 30 minute weight session at least 3 times a week. Building
up your metabolism will help a lot if you have a base rate of 10K a day.

I find that 12K a day is required for me to stay stable after losing 60
pounds two years ago.

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer
0 Votes
Try portion weighing for a while. Mix the walking up with weight lifting or dancing to tunes in your privacy place.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Every thing I want portion size is important

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner

I personally couldn't have lost any weight without discipline. I suppose it depends on how much you want to lose weight as to what sort of discipline you apply.

You also mentioned you only need to lose maybe 1/2 stone or something. I'm near the weight I want to be ( well moreso the bodyfat percentage ) but for me, that last bit is pretty tough and slow moving. I put on almost 2 stone in a slow gradual way. I'm 46 now so I'm talking maybe just over a pound a year since my 20's. It wasn't that noticeable as it was so gradual but anyway, that weight literally fell off just with diet change and calorie counting alone. I am slightly active but nothing extreme, what I'm getting at here though, is that from what I gather, as you near your target weight, it can be quite difficult to shift those last few pounds. To me it feels like my body wants to hold onto it and diet alone isn't that effective. I'm talking the difference between a couple of bodyfat percentages here though and to the point of visible ab muscles like an inch or so around the belly button.

I can only speak for myself I guess but maybe the weight you want to lose is already at the 'stubborn level'? Try the cal counting for a few weeks and see if you start getting results. You'd be surpised just how many you can consume when all you're doing is guesswork.Have a look at what you're eating too, maybe ditch the rice for a bit, and limit carbs - at least ditch the processed variety and see how you go for a while?

But yeah, there's no reason to go hungry. Lets say you were eating lean eggs, chicken, fish, beef and things like broccoli, green beans, other leafy greens and other low carb veg. The fact that they're so low in calories means you literally have to consume quite a fair bit or you can effectively end up under eating. I found this when I stopped bread, bananas, rice, potatoes etc etc. All the starchy stuff. It felt like I was eating tons and tons of food, so much so that I simply struggled to get it all in. It did kickstart fat loss again but there was no way I could go on like that. It's like animals that graze, they eat constantly because the calorific value in say grass is hardly anything. I was the exact opposite of starving myself. I've since re-evaluated things and added more calorie dense food high in healthy fats like walnuts, whole earth peanut butter and avocados. If I need to ensure I have adequate intake but I don't feel like a full meal, I'll just source from stuff like that.

If you're on a calorie deficit though and you're eating calorie heavy foods, you'll reach that deficit pretty quickly and you may feel as though you're starving yourself if you have to skip meals which can get discouraging. As an extreme analogy, I could fit a nice doner kebab into my amount but there'd be little room for much else and I'd go hungry or I could fill that up with things like above and feel well fed. Look into it, do a little research and see how you get on with some tweaks

Best Answer
0 Votes

just checking in, down to 297, 153 lbs down to date 🙂 

Best Answer

now down 160 lbs

Best Answer

@jshaf: 160 lbs in 10 months is 16 lbs per month / 4 lbs per week in average. It’s also 35% of your starting weight. Whichever way you look at it, it’s enormous. What are your plans from now?  

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

going to keep going until at least the end of the calendar year and decide at that point how much farther to go.   thinking I would be happy to get under 200, say between 180 and 200 but it depends on how my body feels at that time.  at 290 I still have plenty of work to do and will adjust once I get closer to 200.   

********************and to clarify it is 160 in 8 months so about 20  a month 🙂  and yes it is enormous, you should hear some of my clients when they stop by and see me after many months.  shocking to put it mildly 🙂 

Best Answer

Sorry, I misread 10-8-2018 as 10-Aug (European style formatting), instead of 8-Oct. That’s even more astonishing, it defies the principle of metabolic adaptation, which for most people normally occurs much sooner.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I’m down 20 pounds! 

Matt | United States | Texas
Alta HR & Ionic, Aria 2
Fitbit Coach & FitStar Yoga Premium
Best Answer