Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you lost weight since you got your Fitbit?

I am the exact same weight as I was when I got my Flex 3 1/2 months ago!

How about you?

I'm hoping with Spring here and Summer around the corner, that my walking will increase. 

Moderator edit: title

Best Answer
1,791 REPLIES 1,791

Great job! My husband and I are both trying to lose weight before our sons' weddings. Both are getting married in 2019. I've lost only 11 pounds in two months and he's lost 24 pounds. We both feel 100% better and more energetic. We're trying to make this a lifestyle, not a temporary fix. 

Best Answer

I started to lose weight when I started using the food tracker.  That tracking keeps me from sneaking in calories.

Best Answer

I have lost 5" around my waist (its the only measurement I am tracking), but the scale says I have gained weight (5 lbs)...My clothes fit much better so I know I have lost weight...but the scale won't give up its secrets...I bought a smart scale (weight guru one), it arrives in a few days...I'm hoping to figure out some of this mystery. The 5" was lost in the last month an a half. 

Best Answer

Lost weight but gained muscle?

I.e. the weight of bodybuilders, they are heavy but they are defo not overweight in that sense like sumo wrestlers

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner that is my assumption...I have an athletic build, even when I was at my thinnest (teens - early 30's) I was at the high end of healthy BMI, borderline overweight..people used to say I looked too skinny...I was definitely not skinny, but rather lean. Now I have an extra 40 lbs of cushion, but people still say I don't look overweight...but my BMI is 30!!!!

Best Answer

I ignore the BMI, you could have 2 people same BMI, but one is healthy and another overweight

i concentrate on the fat and water % instead

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner this is why I'm excited about the smart scale...I'm so glad I thought to track my waist measurement, because with a 5 lbs gain over the last 45 days, I would have been so discouraged if i only went by the number on the scale.

Best Answer
0 Votes
You are making muscle out of fat.
Best Answer

I know what you are trying to say  but technically, fat is fat and muscle is muscle, neither can be turned into the other. He/she is reducing fat and building muscle. That would account for reduced size and weight gain.

Best Answer

I wish I was turning fat into muscle...Smiley Tongue I think some of it might also be water...I have upped my stepping by quite a bit, up to 35, 000 steps from about 10,000 a day, also bike, and weight train...so lots of activity might be sending my body into "hey crazy woman...WTH are you doing to me" I will be enlightened I'm sure once my smart scale arrives...

Best Answer
Way to go! My waist is the first place I would love to be able to lose. I
always lose weight in the least noticeable places when I begin losing. I'm
trying to be consistent with my daily exercise and still working on my
diet. Hoping to lose another ten pounds in the next month!!! I know I'm
dreaming, though!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm going to take on the extra challenge of tracking what I eat...maybe there's something more I can do to kick this 40 lbs ❤ 

Best Answer

@lavabelle wrote:

I wish I was turning fat into muscle...Smiley Tongue I think some of it might also be water...I have upped my stepping by quite a bit, up to 35, 000 steps from about 10,000 a day, also bike, and weight train...so lots of activity might be sending my body into "hey crazy woman...WTH are you doing to me" I will be enlightened I'm sure once my smart scale arrives...

Good realistic view.

Some things sound good and are repeated - but are impossible.

Also, a man would be fortunate to be able to gain muscle that fast even in a bulk eating over maintenance while in a progressive weight lifting routine.

So while you might have gained some muscle from workouts, what that scale is liable to back up, is that you did gain LBM (Lean Body Mass) while you lost FM (Fat Mass) - which is entirely possible to do without gaining any muscle. Because a drink of 16 oz of water you will gain 1 lb of LBM.

And so much a good call measuring - a scale is merely one measurement, and frankly not even the one other people can see unless you invite people into your bathroom when you weigh naked in the morning.

But they do see size, and confidence walking, ect.

Considering the time period, most gain LBM going into summer and being outside more - body increases blood volume to help with cooling. That's spread all over the body.

Also, more glucose stores in muscles being used more now - they store with attached water - again spread out.

BTW - smart scales are only going to be upwards of 5% accurate, and that is IF you can present the exact same hydrated body to it - which is unlikely.

So hope for consistency - realizing what a simple extra glass of water can do to the readings. Still need a lot of time for knowledge - for a woman - over 30 days minimum.

So use a good trending weight app which usually allows for logging BF% too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Good info, thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed answer, much appreciated! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I started using my Fitbit Alta on May 29th and in that time I have lost 10 lbs.  It doesn't sound a lot I know but it has really opened my eyes to what real activity is (and what it isn't) and I am finding it easy to track my food and my exercise and motivation has gone through the roof.  Wish I had got one a lot sooner!!  Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I have reported in the thread before, but this week I met my target weight 210 lbs

I am a 64 year old male.

One year ago this week, I weighed in 258 lbs. My blood pressure was 140/80.

That was my eye opener & I decided to take action.

I had my Fitbit Charge HR since Christmas but had lost any weight yet.

I joined a gym, started going 5 days per week.

I added my fitnesspal app to my phone to track meals.

Mon-Wed-Fri are cardio days, Tuesday & Thursday weights.

One year later: I weighed in last weekend 210 lbs (my target: what I weighed in college)

My blood pressure is down to 127/70. Resting heart rate 50 bpm.

Last month's physical at my doctor was all smiles, & keep up the healthy life style!

Best Answer

My weight has been going up more than down.  The most I have lost 20 lbs and gained it back plus some.  I know it is the pepsi.  I am trying to cut down to one bottle a day.  For me that is great, be-

cause I rather drink that then water....

Best Answer

My weight has finally started going down. I got a new scale, started weighing myself daily, and record what I eat with Fitbit. I participate in workweek challenges which I find really motivating to get my steps in and more. I also signed up with trendweight which I find fascinating, thanks for whoever posted this.

Here is a link to my trendweight stats: my trendweight 

Starting weight was 190 in May 2018, lost 5" around my waist but lost no weight, now the weight is slowly dropping 🙂 Super excited!

Best Answer

I know it is frustrating that your husband loses more weight then you do.  But men do lose weight faster

then women.  My husband is under 200 lbs, and I am not, but really working on that. 

Great job losing the 12 lbs.  You are rocking it!

Best Answer
Let's face it, we all have our weaknesses! One of my weaknesses is
sweets/carbs, especially chocolate. My husband's biggest diet weaknesses
include fatty foods and *Mountain Dew*. As you know, soft drinks and diet
soft drinks will make you gain weight. Diet soft drinks have sodium.
Gradually switch over to drinking all water, if possible. My husband mixes
the s/f lemonade packets in with his water, drinks some diet drinks, and
occasionally drinks a small can of regular soft drinks. He loves fried
chicken and other fried foods. I cook crispy chicken in an airless fryer.
We both enjoy the airless fryer food. On Sundays only, we both eat dessert
(in moderation) and a healthy meal. Don't let yourself go hungry, eat
healthy foods, and get plenty of exercise. We're still working on losing
weight and keeping it off for good! Good luck!
Best Answer
0 Votes