Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's what 1000 calories per day can look like.

Have you thought that 1000 calories per day would be miserable? Think again. Here's a link to an article describing it. And just to be clear, I am not suggesting that everybody consume 1000 calories per day. Some of the patients referred to me are prescribed that, but it by no means is for everyone. This is just to illustrate that it may not be what you've thought. https://journal.thriveglobal.com/this-is-what-1-000-calories-looks-like-e8bc84a639fc cThis is what 1000 calories per day can be.This is what 1000 calories per day can be.

I'm a formerly obese person and a Licensed Counselor. I'll be a supportive friend here if you need one.
Best Answer
168 REPLIES 168

@LeiaMarcelina wrote:

I eat between 600 and 1000 everyday. I get fruit, veggies, eggs, cheese, 6 oz of meat, a slice of bread or carb smart tortilla. Its possible.

Make sure you are eating enough to be healthy. It's good to lose weight if you are overweight, but if you become underweight, there will be big problems. Undereating when you are underweight will make you ill. 

I'm a formerly obese person and a Licensed Counselor. I'll be a supportive friend here if you need one.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm still 50 pounds overweight Haha. I've only been seeing about 3 pounds a week for just over a month. Days I get over 10,000 steps burning about 2200

Best Answer

@LeiaMarcelina wrote:

I eat between 600 and 1000 everyday. I get fruit, veggies, eggs, cheese, 6 oz of meat, a slice of bread or carb smart tortilla. Its possible.

If you eat 600-1000 everyday, while also burning 1800 or more, you should be losing up to 2 pounds per week (assuming the numbers are accurate). Has it been the case? Eating only half your requirements can only be sustained for a limited period of time.

What’s "possible" also depends to a large extent on your size. If you’re a 5’0 / 100 lbs female, sure, you can somehow perform with 1000 calories. If you’re a 6’5 / 200 lbs guy, good luck with the same amount of calories.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@LeiaMarcelina wrote:

I'm still 50 pounds overweight Haha. I've only been seeing about 3 pounds a week for just over a month. Days I get over 10,000 steps burning about 2200

Wow! That's a fast loss! However, remember that losing fast, and even losing, is not the main thing. The most important thing to do is establish healthy habits for life, with both eating and exercise, that will prevent weight gain. Learning how to maintain a healthy weight easily with the right habits is real success.

Best Answer
0 Votes

About 8 pounds the first week and 2-3 pounds a week. I'm supposed to be about 110 pounds but I'm not. I dont think eating 600 calories is a good idea for all women.

Best Answer

@LeiaMarcelina wrote:

About 8 pounds the first week and 2-3 pounds a week. I'm supposed to be about 110 pounds but I'm not. I dont think eating 600 calories is a good idea for all women.

Eating 600 calories per day continuously is not a good idea for anyone. That's starvation. Going without food for a day won't kill you, but after a while, it is deadly. Good nutrition is not just a matter of vitamins and minerals. You need enough energy too, as well as amounts of the 6 essential nutrients.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LeiaMarcelina wrote:

I'm supposed to be about 110 pounds but I'm not.

No one is "supposed to be" a single number as far as body weight is concerned. Even if going by the often criticized BMI, it defines "normal" weight as a rather broad range. For instance, if you were 5’0 tall, the normal range as per BMI would be anything between 95 and 128.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

Interesting to read all the comments. Can see sense in every comment. Personally, middle aged, average 5'4 height, yoyo dieter of 30 years, heavy beer drinker of 15 years, slow metabolism, no exercise but clean freak and 4 children so had very little me time until recently. Now 48, semi retired and losing weight nicely, finally on 1000- 1200 calories a day, not drinking alcohol in the home just when we go out, no snacking or scoffing ingredients as I cook the family meals (usually minced beef out the pan) and religiously doing 30-60 mins a day on our shed treadmill to 80s music (Modern Talking is a great treadmill tune). I'm an all or nothing person unfortunately so portion controlled set meals at set times are keeping me in check. Oats are a God send, low calorie but filling. As the weight drops gradually I will introduce more variety but keep it healthy. Acknowledging the weight issue and acting upon it then remaining aware of the fact if you return to bad habits the fat will too is the main issue. However you do it is personal choice. What works for one won't work for another. I've tried every diet, plan, shake, fad, you name it. Settled with my steady low calories and increasing movement equals success for me

Best Answer

@Lesleyann8 wrote:

Interesting to read all the comments. Can see sense in every comment. Personally, middle aged, average 5'4 height, yoyo dieter of 30 years, heavy beer drinker of 15 years, slow metabolism, no exercise but clean freak and 4 children so had very little me time until recently. Now 48, semi retired and losing weight nicely, finally on 1000- 1200 calories a day, not drinking alcohol in the home just when we go out, no snacking or scoffing ingredients as I cook the family meals (usually minced beef out the pan) and religiously doing 30-60 mins a day on our shed treadmill to 80s music (Modern Talking is a great treadmill tune). I'm an all or nothing person unfortunately so portion controlled set meals at set times are keeping me in check. Oats are a God send, low calorie but filling. As the weight drops gradually I will introduce more variety but keep it healthy. Acknowledging the weight issue and acting upon it then remaining aware of the fact if you return to bad habits the fat will too is the main issue. However you do it is personal choice. What works for one won't work for another. I've tried every diet, plan, shake, fad, you name it. Settled with my steady low calories and increasing movement equals success for me

You're doing great! You'd like what I teach. Thanks for writing.

Best Answer

Just my story.. I am 6'2, currently 224 lbs.  My RHR is a very healthy 59 as despite being overweight presently I used to live in the gym up until 6-7 years ago and although I probably put 56 lbs on in the time since I guess my body is keen to get fit again.  I say a healthy RHR now but that is because 2 months ago that switch flipped in my head (my RHR then was 78!) 

Anyway, the reason I am posting.. I go to the gym now a minimum of 3-4 days burning at least 700 - 1000 calories per session but sometimes as low as 450 and 5 out of 7 days I am on a 1000 calorie diet...  (Sunday seems to be the day I eat fillet steak/pizza) The OP is spot on, 1000 calories gives me plates of protein and nutrients and given that I am a foody the food I eat is fantastic and full of flavour and flare.

Yeh I can be hungry ( I am now but it is just gone 12am..) but I feel on top of the world, fit and healthy, losing weight and full of energy.  I have lost 20lbs and gained muscle mass, like I said I am not afraid to eat more at the weekend.

Nothing is one size fits all but just wanted to add to the thread.

Best Answer

@GavV wrote:

Just my story.. I am 6'2, currently 224 lbs.  My RHR is a very healthy 59 as despite being overweight presently I used to live in the gym up until 6-7 years ago and although I probably put 56 lbs on in the time since I guess my body is keen to get fit again.  I say a healthy RHR now but that is because 2 months ago that switch flipped in my head (my RHR then was 78!) 

Anyway, the reason I am posting.. I go to the gym now a minimum of 3-4 days burning at least 700 - 1000 calories per session but sometimes as low as 450 and 5 out of 7 days I am on a 1000 calorie diet...  (Sunday seems to be the day I eat fillet steak/pizza) The OP is spot on, 1000 calories gives me plates of protein and nutrients and given that I am a foody the food I eat is fantastic and full of flavour and flare.

Yeh I can be hungry ( I am now but it is just gone 12am..) but I feel on top of the world, fit and healthy, losing weight and full of energy.  I have lost 20lbs and gained muscle mass, like I said I am not afraid to eat more at the weekend.

Nothing is one size fits all but just wanted to add to the thread.

Good to hear from you! You are doing a great job! Congrats!

Best Answer

I have been doing low carb/keto for about 9 months. I was very ill when I started. I was 290 lbs when I started and am 132 lbs now. I eat between 800 and a 1000 calories a day and have been doing so for all 9 months. I was on oxygen 24/7  taking B/P meds and many other meds I was told I was diabetic too. I no longer wear oxygen, take no meds and my A1-C was 5.2 in Dec. I am 64 yrs old and feel 35 again. I will never go back to eating bad again. I would like everyone to know that they too can do it. It is not magic it just requires work and discipline, but it is so worth it!!! 

Best Answer

Congrats and I know the feeling well, when you improve your diet you feel fantastic. You are what you eat.

Best Answer

@CMccoy wrote:

I have been doing low carb/keto for about 9 months. I was very ill when I started. I was 290 lbs when I started and am 132 lbs now. I eat between 800 and a 1000 calories a day and have been doing so for all 9 months. 

So you’ve lost 290 - 132 = 158 pounds in 9 x 4 = 36 weeks. That’s an average of 4.4 lbs per week, implying an average (theoretical) daily deficit of 500 x 4.4 =  2200 calories. It’s quite a feat for someone in their sixties to eat 800-1000 per day while burning 3000-3200 at the same time. And the above calculations are based on the assumption you need a cumulative deficit of 3500 calories in order to lose one pound. This may apply for some limited time and with a moderate deficit. However, we know it wouldn’t apply for a prolonged period of time and an extremely high deficit (metabolic adaptation kicks in, to prevent you from starving yourself to death). So an even larger deficit would be required in order to achieve such a rate of weight loss. All this to say the numbers presented just don’t seem to add up.

Do you have before and after pics?

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

@CMccoy wrote:

I have been doing low carb/keto for about 9 months. I was very ill when I started. I was 290 lbs when I started and am 132 lbs now. I eat between 800 and a 1000 calories a day and have been doing so for all 9 months. I was on oxygen 24/7  taking B/P meds and many other meds I was told I was diabetic too. I no longer wear oxygen, take no meds and my A1-C was 5.2 in Dec. I am 64 yrs old and feel 35 again. I will never go back to eating bad again. I would like everyone to know that they too can do it. It is not magic it just requires work and discipline, but it is so worth it!!! 

Congratulations! It sounds like you have saved your life!  Make sure, now that you are at a healthy weight (I'm assuming you are around 5' tall) that your maintenance level of calories is right, and that your are getting all the nutrients you need with a balanced diet. 

Again, congratulations, and welcome to the world of living healthfully!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Here are my photos I know it sounds hard to believe but the first 2 weeks
out of the hospital I didn't eat at all. I was on oxygen 24/7 had blockages
in some arteries and have reversed all that. I was at an 8.4 on my A1-c and
it is now 5.2 when last checked in Dec. I take no meds at all now and feel
like I am in my 30's. I will never eat sugar and bad carbs again.

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Best Answer
0 Votes

@CMccoy wrote:
Here are my photos

In order to post photos, you need to click on the Photos icon of the toolbar, and point to the files on your hard drive:

2019-06-04_2034.png

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

However, in my case, I usually eat 1000 calories a day since I can remember and I've always had good health (checked by doctors) and looked fairly skinny. It all comes down to your needs and height/weight. You're probably obese/fat if you eat 2500 calories a day and what this man said is completely right.

Best Answer

I've found the best diet. I started in 2002 to lose 30 pounds and get to 155. I set this as a ten year goal. and changed just a little every year. There's a book, "Younger Next Year" with advice on getting healthy when you're older. It has seven rules and the first is "Don't Eat Crap".

The key is changing only a little each year.And once you've made the change never go back.The first year (2003) I stopped eating donuts. I lost 5 pounds. The second year was soda, the third, McDonald's - and so on. I haven't had a donut since 2002, nor soda since 2004. When you slowly change your lifestyle it's easier and there's less stress than making many changes.

I hit my goal of 155 pounds in 2012 and now my weight is about 150 pounds. I got my Fitbit in 2013 and determined how many steps it would take for me to maintain my weight. I love to cook and eat but don't eat things I gave up (OK I do. I eat potato chips which I gave up in 2009, but only at family gatherings, about twice a year). I also found that if I walk 20,000 steps/day I can eat a lot and keep my weight in check. I'm 76 and retired so I can take long walks during the day without the stress of missing work.

If  you really want to lose weight and keep it off, then you have to change your lifestyle. That takes thought, to figure out why you gained weight, and time, to change your lifestyle. It's worked for me.

Best Answer

@BruceM wrote:

If  you really want to lose weight and keep it off, then you have to change your lifestyle. That takes thought, to figure out why you gained weight, and time, to change your lifestyle. It's worked for me.

Sounds like you've done great!  I love the "Don't eat crap!" rule!

Best Answer
0 Votes